What about that snail.

silvie

Snails

Hi,
i think the snail in nine pentacles is telling us about unity. Don't think about being less or bothering the scene. In that card is reminding the concept of unity, each living creature is there with a role, a reason. The woman in the card is concious and complete in the garden, with all the living creatures there. She has realized the meaning of unity in spite differences.
Love and be happy
Sylvie.

poivre

I've read the the snail is a natural symbol of the labyrinth. Does that change the meaning for anyone?

TemperanceAngel

bump bump bump

This thread is worth a re-hash! XTAX

ScarabFlight

Oooohhh, lots of good stuff in this thread!

For what it's worth Lark, I didn't find anything offensive in your post. Actually I thought it was quite uplifting. Thank you.

Phoenyx*

Thank you for bringing this thread back to life TA. Umbrae's post about the ratio is absolutely fascinating.

Nitegoddess

This was definitely enlightening. I have always wondered about that but being a newbie I am concentrating on one element at a time. This definitely was one for my study book. Thanks :D

lark

Wow, I think this was the very first thread I ever started.
I was so happy to make a connection to my little snail I wanted to share it with everyone.
It didn't turn out so well at the time.
But, I'm glad you have all found something to learn in it.
I learned alot to.
I just love that little snail!

Ambrosia

Just wanted to bring this thread back to life as I find it quite fascinating.

I love this explanation below. It's a wonderful way to interpret the snail in this card, that we must accept flaws in order to appreciate the beauty around us.

lark said:
I bought the book Tarot and the Tree of Life by Isabel Radow Kliegman.
At last, not only is the snail mentioned but actually explained.

She says "It's a snail.Yuck! What is he doing on the card? No not yuck. He's part of the natural world. She accepts him in the same way she accepts the bounty of the garden and the falcon. He is welcome. He's part of it all. He's part of us. You can't be at one with nature unless you are at one with all of nature, and being at one with the nature "out there" is a metaphor for being at one with your own internal nature. If you can't enjoy a garden unless it is free of pests, unless each leaf and flower is perfect, you will never enjoy a garden. Similarly, if you cannot accept yourself because of your flaws and failings, if you cannot accept yourself as worthy of abundance and love unless you are perfect, you will never enjoy yourself. The snail represents our human failings; the serenity that the lady's demeanor expresses is the peace that comes from really being comfortable with yourself, really liking yourself just as you are."

I always saw the snail as a little reminder to "slow down" and smell the roses (or in this case have a glass of wine lol). To "take it easy" so to speak.
The Nine of Pentacles for me is all about enjoying what you have achieved, taking a leisurely "time out" to enjoy the fruits of your labour.
The snail reminds us that we don't always have to be rushing around "doing" things. We can just slow down and take it all in.

Great thread.

AJ

lots of snails to ponder in the Paulina

thorhammer

Hmm, interesting. See, that snail says to me, first and foremost, "self-containment". I, too, love this card and connect strongly to it; it speaks to me of borders, boundaries, security and having all that one needs, having built it oneself. The snail reiterates that and is a reminder that much of what is tangled up in our lives is extraneous. It reminds me of what is important; or it states that what I need to know is closer than I thought.

\m/ Kat