The Book We Were All Waiting For (or Not)

Alrah

The idea that Crowley could've discovered the "lost word" is ridiculous. It demonstrates a total lack of understanding on his part. The Masons he encountered reacted exactly the way I'd expect.

Be that as it may, he still believed he was on to something. His whole argument rests on the idea there was a misspelling on that 18th degree Masonic apron. What if it wasn't? Without knowing specifically to which apron he refers it's impossible to say. It could be a misspelling, Masons during that time period are notorious for incorrectly-spelled Hebrew words. Or it could've just been a badly-rendered Vau that looked like a Resh. Or it could have been Yosher, meaning "upright." Normally it's spelled Yod-Shin-Resh, but who knows. That degree is loaded with Christian imagery so it would make sense if it was Yod-He-Shin-Vau-He (Yahweh saves). Normally it's spelled Yod-He-Vau-Shin-Ayin though.

Well - ultimately the Word is ineffable in the silence of our souls.

But Crowley definitely thought he was onto something. He certainly cracked the Zohar. The question really is - was Ben Moses de Leon for real? Is the Zohar a forgery or does it contain something hidden from the 1st Century that records the Lost name of the God of the Temple of Solomon? Well - there is some circumstantial evidence... the Christian ceiling design in the Catacombs of Priscilla give a design that is extremely close to the 7 sephirothed Temple. And also, Abracadabra was in circulation at that time.

We *may* *perhaps* *don't get your hopes up* also find the Name in the Tel Dan Stele from recent archaeological excavations in Ain Dara. :)

If you reread Crowley's Confessions then you'll find he gave the 'Jesus saves' thing an example of his deductive processes rather than claiming that word was THE Word. He was also illustrating how words are changed over time.

He believed Abrahadabra to be a cypher of the lost word. It has all the same letters but of different frequencies to the word he found in 1900, and the reason why he thought it was the word, was because it fit on a seven sephiroth arrangement of the heavenly Temple.

If you read the Zohar's midrash on Genesis then we find that God created the world in 7 days and on the 6th day he created Adam on the site of the Temple. After the story of the creation which is also illustrated by the design of the 7 sephirothed 'Temple' then Genesis launches into the story of the fall and the Tree of Life & Good and Evil. It's from the fall that we get the 10 sephiroth arrangement of the Tree of Life.

But the Tree of life has 32 paths and only 22 letters. The holy name does not appear on the sephiroth. We have to work a bit to correct that. If we read the Zohar there are instructions to 'institute the union of the holy name', to 'bind the links of truth' (paths), and to 'derive the supernals {plural} into the position {singular} required'. So the first thing the Kabbalist does in deriving the Temple from the Tree is combine Kether, Binah, and Chokmah into one head sephiroth and place the first letter of creation upon it - Bet

We can see how Crowley developed his 0=2 formula from that.

In the Zohar God calls to Aleph saying "Aleph, Aleph" - and says that he will not express himself except through her. There is also the old rabbanic saying that "Aleph is never less than Bet." Or 2. So we take the Aleph and assign it to either side of the Bet.

Resh stays at the center. The double D is informed by the biblical descriptions of the double and sequential doors in the tower like portico at the entrance to the Temple on Earth. And lastly the H from the Ha is given to the bottom sephiroth which is a combination of Yesod and Malkuth. The paths Tzaddi, Qoph, Shin and Tau and placed on the right hand path between the D and H, for reasons explained in the Zohar midrash on Genesis.

Well... I could go on (and on) explaining how to derive the Temple from the Tree and what Crowley did with it, but it's more the subject for a book than a simple post here. The real proof of the pudding would be a 10th C. BCE inscription that contains the words BRAHDD - 'He created Hadad'. (aka. Adad, Ba'al, and even Be'elzebub). That would be proof that the word enciphered in the Zohar and the 7 sephirothed arrangement of the Temple was the Lost Word.

I believe Liber Legis was entirely Crowley, I don't really need any "proof." But your suggestion, Alrah, that he wanted to "show those dumb Masons" just adds one more layer to a picture of a guy who desperately needed recognition.

I agree. But as attention seeking and flawed as he was, he was still a damn good cryptographer and that's all I'm interested in now. My apologies for the length of this post, but it's a subject I am quite keen on. It's become something of a hobby horse. :)

ravenest

.... The real proof of the pudding would be a 10th C. BCE inscription that contains the words ....

Okay but thats a 'would be' not a proof ... that's like 'pop science ' creation of life theory;

Scientists have discovered that if they put an electric current through a flask containig what they believe to be a mixture similar to a primordial sea they can create amino acids, the building blocks of life. They purport to demonstrate that all life had a common origin from the first single celled life forms.

In the future scientists will be able to cause those amino acids to form ... and eventually a celll, hence the whole issue is understood ... just give us a few years and we will do it. And scientists will be able to create life.

I call this the concept of the time travelling scientist. He travels backwards in time to give validity to a missing part of the process now. That is not science. One cannot say a theory is worked out by saying the missing and most crucial and complex part of the mystery will or even might be solved in the future so there fore the whole theory stands now.

That MIGHT be some 'proof' to get your pudding to rise but until it rises it's still a pancake. ;)

Alrah

Okay but thats a 'would be' not a proof ... that's like 'pop science ' creation of life theory;

Scientists have discovered that if they put an electric current through a flask containig what they believe to be a mixture similar to a primordial sea they can create amino acids, the building blocks of life. They purport to demonstrate that all life had a common origin from the first single celled life forms.

In the future scientists will be able to cause those amino acids to form ... and eventually a celll, hence the whole issue is understood ... just give us a few years and we will do it. And scientists will be able to create life.

I call this the concept of the time travelling scientist. He travels backwards in time to give validity to a missing part of the process now. That is not science. One cannot say a theory is worked out by saying the missing and most crucial and complex part of the mystery will or even might be solved in the future so there fore the whole theory stands now.

That MIGHT be some 'proof' to get your pudding to rise but until it rises it's still a pancake. ;)

lol. I guess so. Strictly speaking, history as an academic subject is often about making an informed guess about what happened using circumstantial evidence. It is a 'soft science'.

In this case the circumstantial evidence comes from multiple independent threads with which we can build a case and make our judgements on the basis of probability, but there must always be an element of reasonable doubt given the great weight of years that have gone by.

You seem to have a keen an incisive mind Ravenest. There is currently an academic dispute about the correct interpretation of the Tel Dan Stele. Would you mind doing me a favour and giving me your opinion on it? (Only if you would enjoy the pursuit however.)

One of the interpretations say 'Hadad made me king' - out of the words King - Hadad - ??? It's very confusing, not least because doubt is cast upon the spacing and the stops between the words, and the fact that some words that in later aramaic are two words are actually one word in this Stele. So I'm not sure whether this can be included as potential piece of evidence for BraHdd (He created Hadad) as the lost word or whether it can be safely discarded... or whether it exists in a grey area.

http://www.nelc.ucla.edu/Faculty/Schniedewind_files/Schniedewind_Tel_Dan_Stela.pdf

The time travelling scientist... :) I like that a lot. Very astute.

ravenest

lol. I guess so. Strictly speaking, history as an academic subject is often about making an informed guess about what happened using circumstantial evidence. It is a 'soft science'.
Sure. I'm totally into that - the 'soft sciences' but I do find it rather exasperating when the 'hard' sciences blur the line, that line is drawn by experimentation ... whose results can be repeated. But a similar process (of structured propasitions in logical and resultant order that lead to demonstratible conclusions) is often required (and should be) in argument, logic, theory and soft sciences and not just 'informed guesses'. However such an approach can help bulid up a database to support the development of the above.
In this case the circumstantial evidence comes from multiple independent threads with which we can build a case and make our judgements on the basis of probability, but there must always be an element of reasonable doubt given the great weight of years that have gone by.
And an element of 'flavour' depending on the researchers outlook. ;)
You seem to have a keen an incisive mind Ravenest.
Oh yes, I certainly SEEM to ... :laugh:
There is currently an academic dispute about the correct interpretation of the Tel Dan Stele. Would you mind doing me a favour and giving me your opinion on it? (Only if you would enjoy the pursuit however.)

One of the interpretations say 'Hadad made me king' - out of the words King - Hadad - ??? It's very confusing, not least because doubt is cast upon the spacing and the stops between the words, and the fact that some words that in later aramaic are two words are actually one word in this Stele. So I'm not sure whether this can be included as potential piece of evidence for BraHdd (He created Hadad) as the lost word or whether it can be safely discarded... or whether it exists in a grey area.
Hmmm... it IS based on fragmentary evidence and as new bits are found they get put together. Who knows the intent of the original? Was it a precise ordered record or a symbolic construct.
I imagine one of my talismanic seals being broken into pieces and someone trying to put it back together, there are pieces of geometry [some that might appear to be regular geometry in fragments ... but when you try to put it together ... its skew, or irrigular or Anthroposophically projected perspective (a bit like trying to see how the Thoth cards link together with Frieda / Steiner projected geometry)]
Anything I came up with (due to the amount of time needed to research the background - which I havent got at the momnet ) wouldn't be that helpful.

It took Schueller deLubicz over 20 years study of and RESIDENCE IN the Temple at Karnak to start to crack the code and that was mostly in parts that were still insitu. he come up with some v.interesting stuff ... but who can comprehend a high % of deLubicz and how can we know his ideas are valid as he is so 'out there' . But good luck to him!
And good luck to you too... and have fun with it - thats the main thing ;)
The time travelling scientist... :) I like that a lot. Very astute.
if only the imagined time travelling future 'scientist' (us) were not in the future but the present and could
travel back to the past and see the Stella and the temple (Solomons and Luxor) and observe the culture and mind set ... juicey!

Always Wondering

Q: So do like Led Zeppelin?

A: Er...no.

But. But. Did you listen to them backwards? You have to listen to them backwards. Then you hear all the naughty stuff. :laugh:

AW

ravenest

Guys!!? ... all this Led Zepplin stuff ...now I keep hearing the echo in my head of the wailings of " baby baby baby" over and over again (whats the record? 38 times in one track?).

And for all those who 'urk' at the old; "If Crowley was around today he would have been a hippy." let's change it to, "If Crowley was around today he would be fronting Led Zepplin."
:eek:

Always Wondering

Guys!!? ... all this Led Zepplin stuff ...now I keep hearing the echo in my head of the wailings of " baby baby baby" over and over again (whats the record? 38 times in one track?).
Babe I'm gonna to leave you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrVDViSlsSM

And for all those who 'urk' at the old; "If Crowley was around today he would have been a hippy." let's change it to, "If Crowley was around today he would be fronting Led Zepplin."
:eek:

I can't imagine Crowley as a hippy. And I grew up with two of them. Not enough focus. And California hippies were very much into heroic medicine, not terribly Thelemic. And I do agree with Aeon418, just because Page drew pentagrams with his gutiar doesn't mean much. I find their work more focused on Tolkien, than Crowley. But fun, none the less.

AW

ravenest

Babe I'm gonna to leave you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrVDViSlsSM

I can't imagine Crowley as a hippy. And I grew up with two of them. Not enough focus. And California hippies were very much into heroic medicine, not terribly Thelemic. And I do agree with Aeon418, just because Page drew pentagrams with his gutiar doesn't mean much. I find their work more focused on Tolkien, than Crowley. But fun, none the less.

AW

Hmmm ... mabe I'm getting to old and the JOKE is now out of fashion. I was refering to the stupidity inherent in that Cowley/hippy connection that some people used to say .....? years ago.

..... but maybe YOU just pulled a joke on me? If so, ya got me! For a moment ;)

Always Wondering

..... but maybe YOU just pulled a joke on me? If so, ya got me! For a moment ;)

Errr, no. :| I never heard that Crowley/Hippy thing before.

But that song does have baby in it at least 38 times. ;)

And I will get one over on you one of these days. :laugh:

AW