There is something wrong with me?

The crowned one

Good advice all. Personally I would learn the tree of life BEFORE looking at the deck... or at least while. Lay the corresponding cards onto a hand drawn ( to help you learn) tree of life big enough to hold the necessary cards. Learn why they are there and what made then right for where they are on the tree :)

Lourdez

Thank you thank you. Everybody is right I can't learn everything in a day. There ARE many layers I guess I am just so overwhelmed trying to study to much in a day. I must take step by step.

The crowned one I will do that to understand the tree of life. That may help.

Inconnu

There is nothing wrong with you, at least nothing revealed here.

You are on a path, it's not an expressway.

Head on & when you like, chat up with friends.

Cheerio mate...

Zephyros

I'll tell you a secret, the Thoth changes you.:)

Very subtly, and over time, it works on you, it opens you to new avenues of thought and study and even if you don't see it happening, you slowly change as your wisdom grows. This is spiritual study we're talking about, merely thinking about the Tree as Tarot is a form of meditation, a way of using the cards. For me it is the primary way of using them, although you can use them as you will. Through study of the cards, their symbols, interconnections and the Tree you will be, in essence, studying about yourself, and that's worth all the time it takes, even if it takes a lifetime.

My practical recommendation is that you start with understanding the most basic definitions of the Sephiroth, one at a time. After the fifth you'll start to see that what seemed daunting at first actually has sense and logic, and it won't be so frightening anymore. While the Tree is endless, just reading it is actually quite simple. After about a month you'll start to see connections and parallels between cards you would never think about otherwise, and it will be so illuminating you'll just understand why it was worth it. After you reach that point, it's just a matter of flapping your wings and flying. Trust me on this, I'm not wrong. :)

Abrac

Lourdez, there's nothing wrong with you in my opinion, but there are a few things wrong with your approach in my opinion, but nothing that can't be changed.

Firstly, is learning the Thoth really something you want to do, or something you believe you should do? Second, if you really want it, then just take it one day at a time and enjoy the journey, don't focus on the destination.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I'd suggest starting with one of the Crowley biographies. There are a lot of them and they're all good in their own way as far as I'm concerned. Biographies and autobiographies about people you're interested in are a necessary prerequisite for a deeper understanding of what they represent. :)

ravenest

Very subtly, and over time, it works on you, it opens you to new avenues of thought and study and even if you don't see it happening, you slowly change as your wisdom grows. This is spiritual study we're talking about, merely thinking about the Tree as Tarot is a form of meditation, a way of using the cards. For me it is the primary way of using them, although you can use them as you will. Through study of the cards, their symbols, interconnections and the Tree you will be, in essence, studying about yourself, and that's worth all the time it takes, even if it takes a lifetime.

Well said! I think divination is the least important facet of the 'Book of Thoth'.

My practical recommendation is that you start with understanding the most basic definitions of the Sephiroth, one at a time. After the fifth you'll start to see that what seemed daunting at first actually has sense and logic, and it won't be so frightening anymore. While the Tree is endless, just reading it is actually quite simple. After about a month you'll start to see connections and parallels between cards you would never think about otherwise, and it will be so illuminating you'll just understand why it was worth it. After you reach that point, it's just a matter of flapping your wings and flying. Trust me on this, I'm not wrong. :)

I agree. Trust now and faith will not be required constantly as certainty will take over.

ravenest

Lourdez, there's nothing wrong with you in my opinion, but there are a few things wrong with your approach in my opinion, but nothing that can't be changed.

Firstly, is learning the Thoth really something you want to do, or something you believe you should do? Second, if you really want it, then just take it one day at a time and enjoy the journey, don't focus on the destination.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I'd suggest starting with one of the Crowley biographies. There are a lot of them and they're all good in their own way as far as I'm concerned. Biographies and autobiographies about people you're interested in are a necessary prerequisite for a deeper understanding of what they represent. :)

At the risk of sounding critical (no offence Abrac); it might be a bit premature to delve into that when a basic understanding of the Tree of Life is what seems to be required and asked about here. However if you want Crowleys specific and complex take on Qabbalah, by all means, read the biographies.
[Remembering that Crowley himself admits that he writes for those that already know the subject but might want it presented in a new and novel way.]

Lourdez

Thank you:) your question made me think. Ive had the deck for years but never felt a connection so therefore did not fuss about learning anything about it. NOW I am going crazy with this new feeling. I was quite happy plodding along with my Rider and studying my actual uni degree. SO its not really a wanting it is a calling of some sort. I have deffered uni to study THOTH this year so I guess its time.

I just don't get a calling for something I know nothing about its a tad confusing. I was quite happy owning the deck but even happier to leave it in my cupboard with the rest of my beloved collection. I dont even know why I ordered something I no nothing about.

Anyway ..................

Lourdez

Thank you thank you for not only your honesty but sharing thank you xx

Lourdez

Thank you Ravenest and Chikra I hope I haven't missed anyone. Every single reply is so valuable to me thank you.