I would start with first of all a crystal for each Chakra

Root(1)Black Tourmaline or Hematite
Sacral(2)Carnelian
Solar Plexus(3)Citrine
Heart(4)Green Aventurine
Throat(5)Sodalite - Blue Lace Agate
Brow(6)- Amethyst - Fluorite
Crown(7) Howlite - Opalite

then one to connect to your Zodiac sign for instance mine being Aries is (8)Heliotrope/Bloodstone

Then you can finish with a nice(9) Clear Quartz
and the always recommended (10)Tigers Eye

but then again i have around...last time i counted this is 165 crystals
but go with what you seem to focus on, for instance in a shop, That one which each lap of the floor you do, you go back to again and again,

Madrigal

Hi Madrigal, I just wanted to make sure you saw the sticky in the crystals subforum -

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=162839

Hemera has gathered up helpful links, including those on cleansing and recharging :)

Have fun in your quest! :love:

Thank you, Padma :thumbsup:

Root(1)Black Tourmaline or Hematite
Sacral(2)Carnelian
Solar Plexus(3)Citrine
Heart(4)Green Aventurine
Throat(5)Sodalite - Blue Lace Agate
Brow(6)- Amethyst - Fluorite
Crown(7) Howlite - Opalite

then one to connect to your Zodiac sign for instance mine being Aries is (8)Heliotrope/Bloodstone

Then you can finish with a nice(9) Clear Quartz
and the always recommended (10)Tigers Eye

but then again i have around...last time i counted this is 165 crystals
but go with what you seem to focus on, for instance in a shop, That one which each lap of the floor you do, you go back to again and again,

Thanks, this feels like a manageable list and I like the correlation to the chakras.

Tanga

:) Such scope with crystals Madrigal :)
Physiological effect or not? - well, your mind is the most powerful over the matter. (she says). Over the years I have found that just my mental association with a select favourite stones, is extremely useful for me. e.g. I'll always wear my red stud rubies (my mother gave them to me) if I'm low on energy. I always feel better.
And I'll walk around with a favourite piece of obsidian in my pocket if I'm feeling vulnerable - just thinking about the black mirror effect of returning all sorts of negative things back to sender, puts me in a better mood and adds a spring to metaphorical step.

I was going to suggest a Chakra list.
Here I'll add to DanThorpe's list, what I would think of - in square parentheses [ ]:

Root(1)Black Tourmaline or Hematite [Red Jasper, Mahogany Obsidian, Ruby]
Sacral(2)Carnelian [Carnelian, Fire Opal]
Solar Plexus(3)Citrine [Amber, Sun stone, Tiger Eye, Yellow Topaz]
Heart(4)Green Aventurine [Unakite (green and pink), Malakite, Rose Quartz, Rodochrosite, Watermelon Tourmaline (green and pink)]
Throat(5)Sodalite - Blue Lace Agate [Lapis Lazuli (sodalite with inclusions), Blue Turquoise, Celestite]
Brow(6)- Amethyst - Fluorite [Iolite]
Crown(7) Howlite - Opalite [Sugulite, Clear Quartz]

jillkite

Another shout out for Sodalite, very calming and understated (throat & 3rd eye).
Also love Chrysocolla and Blue Lace Agate (throat).
Have been getting more and more friendly with Bloodstone lately as well (sacral).
I love Rhodocrosite for healing the heart.
Hematite and Red Garnet are favourites for grounding (base chakra)

I also find crstals are very personal, (e.g. i know Tigers Eye is very good, but i just don't feel very attracted to it at all. i've just got a small raw peice hoping that might help...)

In the end you have to go for crystals that you really like, i feel that is important.

Good idea to have crystals for each chakra in your collection.

Also have a mix of crystals that energise (e.g. quartz's) and crystals that absorb (e.g. calcites, rhodocrosite).

Enjoy your crystal shopping! What a delight it is...