Games for Groups

Saelyn

Hello! I'm looking for suggestions for tarot games to play with groups of people. I will be teaching some basics to a small group and I'm looking for fun ideas to stimulate a deeper interest but also to just have a laugh.

I am planning on drawing cards face down and having each participant choose a card, but wondered if there were any innovative ideas out there (or old ones I'm oblivious to).

Thanks in advance!

gregory

You might find some good ideas in The Tarot Playbook, by Lynda Cowles. Things like which card you would like to take out to dinner; which card you would wrap up for your friends as Christmas gifts; what gift you would buy for your deck; Taroga (take up the position of the figures on the card); who dunits - which card committed the murder... ; pred8ictfing headlines in the newspapers - all sorts.

ETA - there is of course The Tarot Game if you have money to spend on this.

Ivy Rhiannon

I've never heard of that game before seems cool!

Saelyn

You might find some good ideas in The Tarot Playbook, by Lynda Cowles. Things like which card you would like to take out to dinner; which card you would wrap up for your friends as Christmas gifts; what gift you would buy for your deck; Taroga (take up the position of the figures on the card); who dunits - which card committed the murder... ; pred8ictfing headlines in the newspapers - all sorts.

ETA - there is of course The Tarot Game if you have money to spend on this.
Thanks for this Gregory.
I don't know if the "which card" thing would work for legitimate first timers, but for those already somewhat familiar perhaps.

I'll check out the book you're suggesting.

gregory

There are all sorts of other games in there; I will dig it out later and see what is up for beginners !

gregory

OK here's a few ideas for you - some mine, some hers:

Pull a card. What kind of gift would it be ?

Pull a card. What is the person on it saying ?

Pull a card. Describe its message in 8 words (or whatever number). As in “Paths converge, purple daisies beckon. Strangers never lie.”

What superpower does this card confer, and why.

With another person: Each pull a card. Why do these two want to get together ?

What animal would this card like best ?

Pull a card. Look at it for 30 seconds. Turn it over. Name as many things as you can that you saw on it. (like the old memory game.)

Same thing – but describe the card as if you were giving evidence in court – every last detail counts.

Tell the card what it needs to change about itself.

And so on })

BodhiSeed

Pull one or two cards. If their message was on a greeting card, how would it read? (Or in a fortune cookie).
Choose characters in well-known fairy tales or other stories; what image (card) represents their struggle? Their victory?

Ivy Rhiannon

You could also do a one card, one sentence story go-round. Each player pulls one card and says one sentence about what is happening. You can do a made up story this way or a reading for a person in the group.

Ex: Person 1 pulls the fool. "You are starting a journey down a new path." Person 2 pulls 7 of swords, "But you must be careful what friends you make along the way." ect

A lot of the games here on the forum could me modified to be played in a group setting.