04/09 Five of Wands

galadrial

Graham says: "Although there is fierce competition to gain a place in the Fire Wand Circus, Lucy is determined and has a strong will. There are times in our lives when we must struggle in order to succeed. Here we see how Lucy has punctured five wands through her head to get accepted into the circus.
Divinitory meaning: The Five of Wands represents the strength and courage to cope with challanges.
Reverse meaning: Overly aggressive, creatively exhausted.

A startling interpretation for this card. I suppose I admire Lucy's can do spirit here, but can't help wondering whether a place in the Circus, or anywhere else, is worth this kind of self abuse. I also wonder if she hasn't been down this road before- how did she lose her legs? Has she so little self esteem that she is consistently willing to maim herself in order to be accepted? Or did she first lose her legs and then figure that the Circus was the only place she could be treated as an equal and have meaningful employment, so she is willing to sacrifice much to get in rather than become a pitiable beggar?
It's early yet, and I don't see where this fits into my day, but I will be on the lookout both for genuine opportunities that require some effort, and for the pitfall of trying too hard for a goal that is not worth the sacrifice.

Little Baron

Hmmmm ... this is a hard one.

Lucy doesn't look in too much pain for a peirced-headed girl with no legs. That earring must have been a breeze to have done.

She reminds me of the sort of people that are often excluded from groups and want to be a part of them. They will do anything; steal from the local shop, perform pranks and dares, just to feel accepted by the group. It doesn't do them any good in the long run or at the time - they just become 'picked on' and made fun of more.

Hopefully Lucy is not like that. Lets just hope the wand trick is just that; one of her talents. Maybe unusual and creative tallents are part of this card; being able to do something that others cannot with a lot of ease. Maybe the wheeled platform shows her ability to travel and set up act from circus to circus. I hope so.

Best wishes

Yaboot

Xarokys

Five of Wands

This is probably one of my least favorite cards in this deck. Just looking at it makes my head hurt.

I feel sorry for Lucy, was she born with no legs or was she in a tragic accident? Did the other kids make fun of her at school? You know how cruel children can be. Perhaps this is why she goes to such desperate lengths to be accepted.

When I look at this card, I also see someone who wants to be the center of attention, and will do anything to get it.

Maan

There is a saying in Dutch that says "who wan'ts to be beautifull must suffer pain"
( wie mooi wil zijn moet pijn lijden)
Somehow that saying pops in my head everytime i see this card.
Its like Lucy has to do such awfull things to herself to be apriciated.
On the otherhand Lucy does not look al that much in pain. Its more like she looks really focused, concentrating. Like the people who walk over fire. If you believe hard enough it won't hurt you.
So this card is telling me that everything is possible aslong as you try really hard and don't let the thoughts of pain and suffering enter you mind

Love
Maan

Little Baron

Nice angle Maan. I like that!

Yaboot

mercuryempress

Lucy is challenge but her drive will not accept defeat.
I see great self discipline in this card. Lucy's will and determination has allowed her pain tolerance level to exceed others.
You have to go through the act of struggle if you want to get to the other side and Lucy has gone through the pain of that..her passion is what fuels her smile