Phantasmagoric Theater - The Chariot

galadrial

Once again I've drawn only cards we've covered, so I have chosen one of my favorite cards in the deck and, in fact, one of my favorite Chariot cards from any deck (it is my lifetime soul/personality card, so I particularly enjoy a good rendering of it).
The checkerboard landscape makes me think of fertile fields- the manifestation of creative thought (the flying pig) producing abundance. The "Tall Man" could have walked out of the Fire Wand Circus and may represent the fire element needed to bring thoughts (air) to form (pentacles).
I love the aquatic (Moon, seahorses, Cancer sign) symbols used. Graham refers to the Chariot as a symbol of our intelligence, and mentions ingenuity, futuristic/unlimited thinking, mastering emotions and overcoming limitations as positive aspects. Given the water associations, particularly Cancer as the astrological influence for the card, I'm brought to mind of Gardner's Intelligences ( www.swopnet.com/ed/TAG/7_Intelligences.html), and am thinking that interpersonal intelligence, with traits such as compassion, can help us to overcome limitations and inform our sense of direction as much as the logical/mathmatical type. Perhaps that is the meaning of the various buildings, which seem to symbolize different cultures, or perhaps various forms of belief. Good interpersonal abilities may help to forge communication and understanding between them more than a more "logical" approach.

Graham's booklet says: "With the Chariot, there are no limits. A journey is taking place, and a flying saucer pulled by two seahorses appears. The Chariot is an ingenious means of reaching into the future. We are on a voyage, a transformation is taking place; uncertainty and surprises are ahead.
The Chariot takes us through the carnival, across the globe through time and space, reaching new realms. We are making progress, mastering our emotions and overcoming our personal limitations. Good health is achieved. The Chariot is a symbol of our intelligence, and gives us a sense of direction.
Divinitory Meaning: Focus, achieving goals, purposeful, progression, accomplishment.
Reverse Meaning: Unable to complete a task, loss of direction, confusion, a feeling of invasion."

joya250

What a funky chariot!

I love the flying pig. I'm assuming it respresnts that phrase, which I forget exactly, of course, but something like "when pigs fly..." or "when pigs have wings..." -- meaning that it will never happen. Well, the chariot just broke the Pig Barrier! (heh heh)

So we got a seemly friendly, cute purple space creature zooming around in his purple spaceship. What strikes me is that it seems the seahorses are just kinda out for some air... not really pulling the spaceship at all! If they were pulling it, the ropes would be taunt. And, besides, who is the spaceguy foolin'... we know spaceships don't need seahorses to pull them! I think he's just "walking" his pets. But it makes for a great card, and links to the more traditional sphinxes in the Rider Waite Chariot. What I don't really dig is that tall guy... he just seems out of place. Why is he bigger than the pyraminds and whatever those other structures are called... What the heck is he doing??? He looks like he wants to give the spaceguy and his pets a hug!

Anyway, those are my thoughts on this card so far....

joya

Little Baron

Phantasmagoric Theater - The Chariot

I really hope that the founders of this study group do not mind me posting a new card. I checked the new list that Moonbow put together but there was not a thread on the 'Chariot'.

The card shows what looks like an alien aboard his spacecraft - it is being drawn by two seahorses and flies over tiny fields. A flying pig watches as it passes him, as do a very tall man (or stilt walker) and a moon. This little fellow is going places and those around him seem to take pleasure in his accomplishments.

As with other threads already posted in this section, I will include the blurb from the lwb. It says -

"With the Chariot, there are no limits. A journey is taking place, and a flying saucer, pulled by two sea horses appears. The Chariot is an ingenious means of reaching into the future. We are on a voyage, a transformation os taking place; uncertainty and surprises are ahead.

The Chariot takes us through the carnival, across the globe through time and space, reaching new realms. We are making progress, mastering our emotions and overcoming our personal limitations. Good health is achieved. The Chariot is a symbol of our intelligence, and gives us a sense of direction.

Focus, achieving goals, pirposeful, progression, accomplishment"

So this, is a 'moving forward' card - in that sense, I would have thought it would be masculine, as all odd numbers, but Cameron labels it as 'feminine', which confuses me a little. He also links it to the word 'transport' - transportation from onr place to another, I suppose.

LB

rovingjay

The Chariot

I like the lucky significance of the pig. He's flying like our hero, across the world - I see egypt, tibet and moscow in his travel path -- he has a long way to go and he's seen so much.