Phantasmagoric Theater - Six of Coins (Kit)

galadrial

Advertising tricks aside, a product we produce stands alone and may or may not command a price that we feel reflects it's value. Give and take in the world of commerce can be fraught with difficulties, and maintaining inner balance and a strong sense of self worth amidst the vagaries of fad and fashion is the challange of the artist who wants his art to reflect his viewpoint/values and not cater to the current trends. Kit seems to have found her balance. She looks pleased and proud to have found a buyer for her caged doll. With her wheeled cart, she looks ready to move on down this curvy road until she finds someone else who can appreciate her work. The windmill is stationary and must wait for the wind to move it, but Kit is like the wind itself, ready to blow into town and share her unique talent and vision. Hopefully, the townspeople, like this one, will reciprocate by exchanging some of the wages earned from a steady job for a piece of unique sculpture. Kit gets the stability of steady income added to her vagabond existence, and the work-a-day townspeople get the type of art that can only be created by someone who dedicates themselves full time to their craft. (I say this as one of the non-artist, work-a-day blokes, myself. This morning I ordered a painting online from a guy in Tennessee who paints full time, and it seemed a type of cool balance had indeed been reached:)

Graham's booklet says: "Kit is a person who values her work. She is selling some of her recent sculptures to a neighbor. She has a good sense of business and understands the laws of balance; when we use our skills, we should receive something in return.
Divinitory Meaning: The Six of Coins reminds us of the importance of self- evaluation.
Reversed Meaning: Being overly generous to the point of putting yourself at a disadvantage."

Maan

I like the windmill in this card so much..but well i'm from the Netherlands...our country would not exists without those windmills;)

I always wonder what the cadged dolls symbolize...the fcat that sometimes an artis has to give in a little to be able to sell her stuff..give in to commerce(sp?)....that does not fit the meaning of the card i know. But that is what i sometimes think when i see this card appear in a reading....

love
Maan

galadrial

Actually, I think that fits really well with this card's meaning. I think of the Six of Coins as "give and take", and that could definately include the realities of marketing something. For instance, I'm not one of those who can buy the current version of the Guilded tarot, so I'm actually glad that the artist is willing to compromise and eventually have the deck printed on inferior paper and with poorer inking, etc., so that many more people will be able to enjoy using it. Maybe Kit is not giving in to marketing trends, maybe her vision is still unique, but perhaps she had to use lesser materials so that the townspeople could afford them.

spoonbender

Hello everyone,

On the 6 of Coins, we see Kit, who is a sculptor. She has a cart with her and is probably going around the village to sell her work. She’s in luck, because she just found a buyer, who is already handing her 6 large coins.

A winding path lies behind Kit – I think she has come a long way. The die lying in the cart could show that faith laid out this path before her. And the puzzle piece could show that we are all part of a whole, and that consequently, when we send something out, we also get something in return.

By the looks of it, Kit mostly sculpts little dolls in cages :eek:. I feel that it shows that good art has a message and has a story to tell... even though people don’t always understand which one exactly. It could be an expression of how Kit felt at the time she created them.

As Graham says, Kit has a good sense of business, so maybe that's why she made three of the same sculptures at once – because she knows that a lot of the villagers will like them?

I don’t know why, but I felt that Kit lives in the windmill in the background of the card. The windmill makes me think of labour, hard work and industriousness, but at the same time it seems idyllic and peaceful.

Now, I noticed something very strange: Kit doesn’t appear to have any hands :confused:! She must be one hell of a sculptor if she can make those dolls without hands, don’t you think? Anyway, because Kit’s neighbour has an eye patch, and because they are thus both disabled, I think they understand each other very well – maybe that’s why Kit’s neighbour can appreciate her art :).

Spoonbender

mercuryempress

Kit coming from a long road and there is a windmill here signifing change here.She is now receiving what she deserves from her labor. There is balance here;she is finally getting what she deserves.