Phantasmagoric Theater - Queen of Coins, Katherine

galadrial

I've always thought of the RWS Queen of Pentacles as being a sort of lower harmonic of the Empress. The outdoor setting and the use of warm oranges, reds and yellows make me think of a warm hearted person intent on enjoyment (the red gown) and creativity (the green robe), who maintains an atmosphere of fertility and abundance (the fruits, flowers, rabbit, and goat head). She may need to be, as Joan Bunning's keywords say, "resourceful- makes a little go a long way; finds a use for whatever's at hand", yet she, "creates a warm, secure enviornment; makes people feel better; responds to the natural world; and has a way with children and animals." Katherine, however, is indoors and the blues and purples seem cool and detached colors. She seems completely absorbed in contemplating her coins. I've always liked the 9 of Pentacles. The woman seems totally focussed on enjoying a moment in her garden, filling her senses with birdsong and the smell of earth and flowers. Money may have bought the garden and the time to spend in it, but the ability to appreciate that flowers and birdsong are the finer things in life took soul work. Katherine looks as though she may be considering how much it will cost to clean her stole, lube the Rolls, and start Johnny on piano lessons. This is certainly one way of caring for herself and others, yet perhaps there are needs that aren't being met. Somewhere, I can hear John Lennon singing, "Dear Katherine, won't you come out to play?"

Graham's booklet says: "Here is Katherine, the Queen of Coins, a woman who loves being in control of financial matters. She has appreciation for the best things life has to offer. Although Katherine demands superior goods and fine service, she is also a practical and independent woman.
Divinitory Meaning: Katherine the Queen encourages us to appreciate the good things in life.
Reverse Meaning: Unable to realize the advantages you have, uninterested in current situations."

spoonbender

Phantasmagoric Theater - Queen of Coins

Is anyone else interested in restarting this study group?

A few days ago, in hopes of gaining some insight into a friend's motivations, I drew The Queen of Coins. (You can see the card here.) Graham Cameron introduces her as Katherine. She's definitely a queen--she looks rather posh. There's a little crown on her head and she wears jewelery, gloves and a sort of fur coat. Seven coins and a die lie on the table in front of her, and she's put her hand on two of the coins. I take all that to mean she's a woman of wealth and status who likes very much to be in control. Oddly enough - and this took me a while to realize - she's also wearing a mime's make-up. Her coat is even striped black and white like a mime's outfit. I'm not sure what this shows exactly, but I like to think it symbolizes Katherine's quirky, independent side.

If I had to relate this card to my friend, I'd read the card as if it came up reversed. My friend is feeling poor and deprived. He was once in control (and I know control and independence are VERY important to him) but now things are slipping away from him--money, luck, his entire life. And he finds it increasingly difficult to find solace in his creative endeavors.

Thoughts?

Spoon