Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set--100 Years!

karen0205

Essjay said:
Ooh yes, I'd love to know too - is it like the Deviant Moon lamination?
I thought that was horrible, did you like that super shiny look? I was constantly
wiping fingerprints off the cards. They looked like a mess all the time.
I hope it's like the decks printed in Italy. Those were done really nicely
as far as I have seen.

starlightexp

Amazon has a prebook option for it now for I think $20. May 15 here we come

MoonGypsy

Solandia said:
I haven't been able to find an ordering source just yet, I'll add one as soon as I can though.
Hi Solandia!
i just pre-ordered a set on US Amazon for $19.80! :D Expected release date is May 15th. :heart:
Blessings of Spring,
MoonGypsy xxx

Teheuti

The Smith-Waite card stock is thicker than the Vanessa and my other Rider-Waite decks, and it has a slightly waxy feel to it, which may lessen with use. Shuffling is difficult as the thicker card stock does not bend easily. If you are willing to work with it I think the deck will wear-in nicely over time.

Here's a comparison with four published versions of the deck:
top left: the 2009 Smith-Waite (printed in China);
top right: the 1993 Original Rider-Waite (printed in Belgium);
lower left: the 1971 Rider & Co. Tarot (printed in Switzerland);
lower right: the current U.S. Games Rider-Waite (printed in Italy).

You can see them more clearly at my blog (because of the size limit here) but I don't think I'm supposed to link there. Nor can I figure out how to imbed the image in the post so you can see it directly.

Attachments

• 7Wx4.jpg
    7Wx4.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 145

Essjay

karen0205 said:
I thought that was horrible, did you like that super shiny look? I was constantly
wiping fingerprints off the cards. They looked like a mess all the time.
I hope it's like the decks printed in Italy. Those were done really nicely
as far as I have seen.

No, I wasn't a fan - it was so slippery that it kept on running away from me, lol!

Abrac

Mary, in your picture the border looks brown, but in the Aeclectic scans they look white. Which one is a more accurate representation?

Teheuti

Abrac said:
Mary, in your picture the border looks brown, but in the Aeclectic scans they look white. Which one is a more accurate representation?
Mine are definitely "aged" looking. There's like a thin layer of speckled gray (fine black dots) over everything including the border. If that could have been "lifted" it would have been a great deck.

jackdaw*

Teheuti said:
The Smith-Waite card stock is thicker than the Vanessa and my other Rider-Waite decks, and it has a slightly waxy feel to it, which may lessen with use. Shuffling is difficult as the thicker card stock does not bend easily. If you are willing to work with it I think the deck will wear-in nicely over time.
Thanks, Mary :)

Hm. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Thicker is good, but for all that people say that the newer USG decks "wear in over time", they don't to my satisfaction. Guess I'll give it a miss.

Teheuti

jackdaw* said:
Thanks, Mary :)

Hm. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Thicker is good, but for all that people say that the newer USG decks "wear in over time", they don't to my satisfaction. Guess I'll give it a miss.
It's not as glossy as some of the new decks, which is nice.

minrice

What a great thread, I can't believe I'm coming into it this late!
Love the scans that everyone has posted. For me I like the aged look the commemorative deck has! It isn't garish at all or a pain to look at.
I too have just preordered from Amazon! Woo hoo!