The Emperor (Aries) is the Clairvoyant

AngelFire

I contend that Aries which is associated with The Emperor is the Clairvoyant of the Zodiac.

"All these old letters of my Book are aright ; but (Tzaddi) is not the Star"

...Universe is Dual in Nature...
The reason there is confusion regarding The Emperor (Aries) and The Star (Aquarius) is because there is a deeper meaning of the attributes of these cards that requires you to understand the significance of the fact that there is a duality to the Universe.

Crowley from The Book of Thoth page 29....
"There are only two operations possible in the Universe., Analysis and Synthesis. To divide and to unite. Solve and coagula: said the Alchemists."

All Astrological signs gravitate to either Synthesis or Analysis in their being. Fire and Water signs gravitate to Synthesis while Air and Earth signs gravitate to Analysis.

...Synthesis and Analysis...
The nature of Synthesis is vision and imagination and is in itself two sides of the same coin and thus dual. In this Vision is Yang and Imagination is Yin. All Fire signs are generally visionary. All Water sign are generally imaginary.

The nature of Analysis is precision and pragmatism which is again dual. All Air signs are generally precise. All Earth signs are generally practical. Precision is Yang, pragmatism is Yin.

...Yin and Yang...
For this reason then, it is wrong to attribute Earth signs to being Yin! Earth signs are Yang-Yin. They are Analytical which is Yang but of a pragmatic nature which is Yin. Thus Air signs are Yang-Yang, Fire signs are Yin-Yang and Water signs are Yin-Yin.

...Leo and Libra...
Crowley also deliberately switched the cards he calls Adjustment (Libra) and Lust (Leo) to show not only the similarities between these signs but also to point out that their differences have something to do with the dual forces in the Universe.

What I contend has been hidden is that there is a deeper meaning to the attributes of The Emperor and The Star and that it relates directly to an understanding of Synthesis and Analysis. An understanding of Synthesis will lead you to see that The Emperor which is attributed to Aries is The Clairvoyant of the Zodiac while The Star which is attributed to Aquarius has the gift of Mental Clarity! Aries has clarity of vision while Aquarius has clarity of mind. Crowley may not have given direct reference to this but he gave hints. One such hint was... "The Sun is a Star."

...The Clairvoyant Emperor...
The symbolism of The Emperor shows the Sun in the Emperor's eye. This is a direct reference to vision yet there is little said about it! The question that should be asked by everyone is... Why is the Sun in the eye of The Emperor? The Sun represents Light. The light from the Sun. And thus I contend that clearly refers to The Emperor or Aries having Vision.

Contrasts the symbolism of The Emperor to the card Adjustment which is associated with the sign Libra the opposite sign of Aries. The symbolism depicts a human figure wearing a blindfold over its eyes. There is a well known saying that Justice is blind. But that saying is incorrect! The act of reasoning is blind but Justice is not blind! The gift of Libra is Mental Balance through reasoning. Libra's reason things out. They attempt to balance through reasoning through the facts. They do not "see" because in most cases they do not have a vision of things. They rely on the facts. In other words they quantify things and quantity is yang while quality is yin.

The reason, I contend, that Crowley changed the name of the card from Justice to Adjustment was to point out the incorrect association of the nature of Libra to the idea of Justice. Reasoning is a form of Analysis. But Analysis is not Synthesis and thus it is not visionary or Yin. It is a form of weight through quantity which is an attribute of Yang. Qualifying things is Yin. A Libra thinks..."Do these reasons out weigh these other reasons so I can make a decision?" Thus Libra's being Yang-Yang in their dispositions tend towards finding Equilibrium which is Yang in essence. Sharing something 50-50 reflects QUANTITY which is Yang but the QUALITY of Balance may not always be 50-50 and thus Justice may not be necessarily served! Justice is only served through what is Fair!

The reason why Crowley called the card Adjustment is because through reasoning Libra's have to make adjustments.