Thoth Tarot Positive or Negative Energy?

Melynasaule

I was scared of Thoth before I purchased it but I decided to risk. Aaand... Right now it's my fave deck that I use the most. Yes, it's true that Thoth has a lot of energy, but it is neither bad nor good. Just energy. And at the same time I see why I couldn't connect with Waite tarot- it is energetically clean, but at the same time I don't have anything to hold onto. Thoth's energy just helps me click with this deck very well. And actually it's the only deck that I trust completely. It has strong energy so it tones down my own energy a little bit and it always gives me accurate answers despite my own fears/desires. It doesn't influence cards. Love the deck, love the energy surrounding it.

smw

I am not sure about 'energy' in the Thoth deck. On one hand it seems more likely to be a projection of yourself and your own energies. on the other I am curious about the idea of the egregor. This seems to have a few possible meanings. Being an angel or watcher from the book of Enoch, ( grigori - almost an anagram of egrigor) a collective energy raised by a group of magical workers or an individual creating a thought energy form.

In relation to a Golden Dawn based deck like the Thoth there is also reference to Hru the angel overseeing divination (?) and maybe there is a wider group egregore of energy created by people that have followed or read the same symbol and correspondence set over a period of time. Perhaps you can make your own new neural pathways by treading down the same paths in reflection of this wider one. Or hook up to it...possibly

foolMoon

I somewhat concur with smw's post.

In my view every deck has both positive and negative energies depending on what cards I am looking at, and what cards I am dealing with in the spread for the question asked.

For example, Death, The Tower, Devil, 3, 9, 5 of Swords ...etc these are negative "generally".
Star, The Sun, Temperance, The Universe, 2, 3,9,10 of Cups ...etc these are positive. There are also neutral energy cards.

Recently my reading has been more trying to grasp the energy emanating from the card or combination of the cards in the reading rather than trying to get definite answers to the question. I don't feel a deck or card can make things happen, but it is just reflection of situation when asked for the unknown.

Michellehihi

Every time someone does a reading with this deck, the Second Coming is delayed another year.
??? What do you mean? The second coming of Christ? I think that God does not car at all about tarot decks. He/She does not like or hate them. Just as He-She doesn't care if you eat carrots or bananas for breakfast. And reading with this deck doesn't make someone evil. And Crowley was a weird person but not evil. Come on! There are evil people on earth yes: those who rape, kill, torture children. Those who read with Thoth tarot? You must have been joking when you posted this, or you are blind from reality.

Zephyros

That post was written eight years ago, and the member in question hasn't been here a year. Plus I think they were joking, others commented back with jokes of their own.

Finally, let's not get into personal attacks. Difference of opinion is not blindness to reality.

DeToX

Crowley didn't paint the deck. I think your negative associations and beliefs about Crowley are affecting your perception of the deck, so you aren't really seeing the deck but your idea of what you think it is. Just my 2 cents. Ok I saw that this post was nekro'd hehe

I own several Tarot decks, among them Aleister Crowley's Thoth Deck and am curious what the forum thinks regarding the energy surrounding the deck. I like using the Deck, but am a little put off by what may seem to be negative energy possibly associated with the deck with regards to Crowley. I would like to use this deck, but am not sure if it is infused with negative energy because of Crowley, and would like to hear what others have to say.

Just as an anecdote, I once did a reading with the Thoth Deck for a pregnant woman and the death card came up. I felt awful because I was not sure if that particular card was somehow influencing the woman to get an abortion! And since then I have been a little wary of using this deck.

Joe D.

(I put this thread in another section as well-I apologize for the repetition)

Essjay

Eta: Sorry! Wrong thread!