Why is the Thoth deck so popular?

FLizarraga

Nice to see all this classic rock reviving the thread.... :D

Still can't really see the Thoth as "popular." It's definitely being loved, used and studied, and I'm sure will be for years to come, but not by a whole lot.

Zephyros

Nice to see all this classic rock reviving the thread.... :D

Still can't really see the Thoth as "popular." It's definitely being loved, used and studied, and I'm sure will be for years to come, but not by a whole lot.

I suspect that this is because of Crowley himself who was, um, "unpalatable" to most people. Some people, like for exampla Angeles Arrien or others, have tried to take the Crowley out of the deck but the results have been rather mixed. There are some good ideas and presentations among the non-Crowley Thoth authors, but it's just lacking that special kind of "oomph." It is important to keep in mind that much of his reputation hinged upon the restrictive norms of his own time and at least some of the terrible things attributed to him today wouldn't be shocking. His bisexuality, for example. He himself had problems with certain sides of his identity, for which one can only feel sorry for him. Maybe if he had lived today he would have been more at peace with some of his sexual preferences.

With other aspects of the man it is best to remember that he broke the mold of a spiritual person being a role model. To be a good Christian you have to emulate Jesus as best you can, but to be good Thelemite means that you emulate no one but your higher self. Even if the man was problematic, the ideas are sound.

It's his deck, wholly, and this means that the Thoth will mostly be in the realm of the adventurous. Still, we are living in a new Aeon, after all. It may very well be that one day Crowley will not be such a byword for all that is terrible and might even become tiresome and old-fashioned. In a thousand years someone might read his stuff and go "choose your own path and love whoever you want? Well, DUH!" I don't think we're there yet, however.

FLizarraga

I suspect that this is because of Crowley himself who was, um, "unpalatable" to most people. Some people, like for exampla Angeles Arrien or others, have tried to take the Crowley out of the deck but the results have been rather mixed. There are some good ideas and presentations among the non-Crowley Thoth authors, but it's just lacking that special kind of "oomph." It is important to keep in mind that much of his reputation hinged upon the restrictive norms of his own time and at least some of the terrible things attributed to him today wouldn't be shocking. His bisexuality, for example. He himself had problems with certain sides of his identity, for which one can only feel sorry for him. Maybe if he had lived today he would have been more at peace with some of his sexual preferences.

With other aspects of the man it is best to remember that he broke the mold of a spiritual person being a role model. To be a good Christian you have to emulate Jesus as best you can, but to be good Thelemite means that you emulate no one but your higher self. Even if the man was problematic, the ideas are sound.

It's his deck, wholly, and this means that the Thoth will mostly be in the realm of the adventurous. Still, we are living in a new Aeon, after all. It may very well be that one day Crowley will not be such a byword for all that is terrible and might even become tiresome and old-fashioned. In a thousand years someone might read his stuff and go "choose your own path and love whoever you want? Well, DUH!" I don't think we're there yet, however.

You have summed up very well the "Crowley Problem," Zephyros, and I bow to your superior knowledge of it. :)

There is also a more pedestrian problem, the problem of study. Mastering the Thoth requires a LOT of study. It's a serious undertaking, not for the dabbler --as I myself found out the hard way. It's not a "fly by the seat of my pants" sort of deck. I feel this will always limit its mass appeal. Which is OK by me. It is what it is.

foolMoon

Like so many adjectives, the word ""popular"" can be rather subjective. :)

Thoughtful

There is also a more pedestrian problem, the problem of study. Mastering the Thoth requires a LOT of study. It's a serious undertaking, not for the dabbler --as I myself found out the hard way. It's not a "fly by the seat of my pants" sort of deck. I feel this will always limit its mass appeal. Which is OK by me. It is what it is.

Since having the Thoth tarot l have read the relevant books i.e. DuQuette and Book of Thoth and also meditated with the cards, my large Thoth is wonderful for that.

l would not say l am a dabbler as such, as l do take this deck seriously though I did feel overwhelmed at first, especially realising that l would have to learn so many things. You have to start somewhere and if the artwork and overall appeal of the deck draws you in at least that's a beginning. So that's how l started.

l love the Thoth deck, from the outset l sensed it was special. l am by no means in the upper eschelons of study, nor will l ever be (my old brain knows its limits :)) yet l have been able to give the most profound and accurate readings. So l would say you do not have to pressure yourself to study all of the Thoth all at once before you start reading with it. You would only end up with a headache and giving up on it.

Recently l had the itch to read with a few of my other decks. Oh my, not what l expected, l could make no proper sense of them, apart from Roots of Asia, felt like l was looking at images that had lost their depth and meaning, l do not want to take away the learning they gave me, but they seemed so flat and empty.
Couldn't wait to reach out for my Thoth again, there's an understanding between us l cannot put in to words. The cards speak a language that
even without all the esoteric knowledge in place, speak to me individually, somehow they touch my soul.

To anyone new thinking of working with Thoth l would say take the Thoth in bite size stages and you will find knowledge and insight come to you in their own time. No fuss, no stress. The good thing is you have the opportunity, should you so wish, to take the next relevant steps up the ladder of further knowledge, at a time when you feel ready.

Others may not agree but from my own experience the Thoth will speak to you willingly at the level you are at. It will always take you further by teaching you more as you progress. Could not be without this deck now.

Laura Borealis

The only official Magus is the one Le Fanu calls The Golden Surfer.

:laugh: That's great.

For me, a big part is that trying to work with other decks just leads me back to the Thoth (and/or the Waite-Smith). Like recently I tried to work with the Tarot of the Spirit but it just felt incomplete and inadequate in comparison.

Thoughtful

l am not alone in that then :)

Methinks perhaps the Thoth is a jealous master who will always draw us back to him

Barleywine

l am not alone in that then :)

Methinks perhaps the Thoth is a jealous master who will always draw us back to him

That's positively biblical in an "Old Testament" kind of way! Think of it as the "Hotel Crowleyana:" "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!" I haven't yet, and it's been 44 years and counting. :D

Thoughtful

That's positively biblical in an "Old Testament" kind of way! Think of it as the "Hotel Crowleyana:" "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!" I haven't yet, and it's been 44 years and counting. :D

That's so funny :laugh:

looks like l am doomed, not that l am worried l knew that as soon as l started working with Thoth. Long live the relationship l say.

seedcake

Thoughtful said:

Definitely. After a while I work again with other decks - mostly with Vampyres (which is influenced by Thoth, of course). But when I use it, I must have Thoth near too. Few times I used both. When I read for clients, only with Thoth, except my best friend - she can get other decks too.

I'm really happy that I came to the point where I have this "one" deck as the core.