Why is the Thoth deck so popular?

Awakened Queen

It dives deeper into the subconscious than other decks. It's brutally honest. It's an incredible deck for spiritual readings. It cuts right to the heart of the matter. It's visually stimulating. Personally, I think the imagery is beautiful. I love bold colors and sharp geometric lines. The style is very Art Deco to me. It corresponds with the zodiac, so timing is relatively easy to determine.

Richard

It looks spooky, deep, and complicated, and makes people think you are real smart to be able to read it, especially if you lop off the card titles. :joke:

MissChiff

It looks spooky, deep, and complicated, and makes people think you are real smart to be able to read it, especially if you lop off the card titles. :joke:

Ouch!

Awakened Queen

I never lop off my titles, so I still look like a dope :)

Thoughtful

The Thoth tarot has been drawing me for years. l never bought it for reasons of being a little scared of it and finding l am not able to read with it. l have now decided late in my tarot journey to buy the deck and relevant books and give it some serious study. Never have been able to connect with RWS only the clones. Now the feeling has got stronger in pulling me towards the Thoth, so here goes.
One thing puzzles me, why do some decks have 3 Magus cards and what is their purpose in a reading, would you keep them all in the deck for a reading.

gregory

One thing puzzles me, why do some decks have 3 Magi cards and what is their purpose in a reading, would you keep them all in the deck for a reading.
There is no purpose. When you print a deck, there are 80 cards to a sheet. The deck has only 78, so they put those two in as extras. You CAN leave them all in, but that wasn't the intention. I don't,

NO decks put out nowadays have all three, BTW.

Thoughtful

Thanks for that Gregory l have just ordered the lavender box one which states it has the three. l will just have to see when it arrives. Wish me luck on this journey, be wonderful if it works out for me. So many people have and work with this deck l would like to be one as well.

Richard

The only official Magus is the one Le Fanu calls The Golden Surfer. The other two were rejected by Crowley.

Attachments

• magus.jpg
    magus.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 985

Thoughtful

That's interesting Richard will have to see what l get when l receive the deck. Does not seem to be an issue, if I do get the three Magus l will see if they are different and just use the one you have pointed out. Thanks for that.

Richard

That's interesting Richard will have to see what l get when l receive the deck. Does not seem to be an issue, if I do get the three Magus l will see if they are different and just use the one you have pointed out. Thanks for that.

The standard size deck in the purple (lavender) box used to have the three Magi, but more recently it just has the official one.