Question about Borders

FortuneFromJupiter

So I have been working with the thoth tarot for over a year now and I'm at the point where i know the cards very well.
I have just purchased a Large thoth deck and i was looking into trimming the boarders off..
The question I have is about the authenticity of the boarders.
Did Frieda Harris and Crowely design the cards with the boarders? I Have heard that they were added without the approval of either party.
I am just curious.

Thank you all =D

elektrius

thanks for asking this as i was wondering the same thing!

and i also just got a large thoth with the intention of trimming and wanted to see if anyone has advice on how to do it so it looks nice and neat.. i guess going to a print store and using a professional paper cutter and corner cutter? are you planning to round the corners and is there any coating that should be applied on the sides? another idea i had was to have the newly cut edges gilded with gold paint [emoji41] that would really make it beautiful!

FortuneFromJupiter

and i also just got a large thoth with the intention of trimming and wanted to see if anyone has advice on how to do it so it looks nice and neat.. i guess going to a print store and using a professional paper cutter and corner cutter? are you planning to round the corners and is there any coating that should be applied on the sides? another idea i had was to have the newly cut edges gilded with gold paint [emoji41] that would really make it beautiful!

youtube.com/watch?v=U1p8HqSntfs

Heres a video on how to do it.
=)

As well as here are some decks that he shows off that he trimmed.

youtube.com/watch?v=kXe1XbIV4ks

McFaire

I trimmed a standard size Thoth this week and it turned out so nice that I ordered a large Thoth and will be starting it in a day or two.

Here is the thread on trimming tools. I posted there with a link to what I'm using:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=234568

I'm using the 5mm corner cutter that many here use:
http://www.amazon.com/Aidox-Angle-E...1445317725&sr=8-1&keywords=corner+rounder+5mm

thorhammer

So I have been working with the thoth tarot for over a year now and I'm at the point where i know the cards very well.
I have just purchased a Large thoth deck and i was looking into trimming the boarders off..
The question I have is about the authenticity of the boarders.
Did Frieda Harris and Crowely design the cards with the boarders? I Have heard that they were added without the approval of either party.
I am just curious.

Thank you all =D

I'm not sure what you're asking about - do you mean the white edge between the edge of the card and the image? They're there in the vast majority of cases (not just the Thoth tarot, but all bordered decks) for two real reasons - as a sacrificial edge to stop wear on the edges of the images themselves, and most importantly to provide some wiggle room for printing - not all the images come out exactly the same size, and the borders smooth those tiny differences out. Also they allow for cutting of the cards from sheets without having the images impinging on one another.

I don't know that the answer to your question is really a make or break thing - get a backup, and go for it. I've trimmed multiple Thoths. My favourite had been used so much that the images are starting to wear off. For real.

elektrius

youtube.com/watch?v=U1p8HqSntfs

Heres a video on how to do it.

=)

As well as here are some decks that he shows off that he trimmed.

youtube.com/watch?v=kXe1XbIV4ks

I trimmed a standard size Thoth this week and it turned out so nice that I ordered a large Thoth and will be starting it in a day or two.

Here is the thread on trimming tools. I posted there with a link to what I'm using:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=234568

I'm using the 5mm corner cutter that many here use:

http://www.amazon.com/Aidox-Angle-E...1445317725&sr=8-1&keywords=corner+rounder+5mm

wow, this is great info and great threads. thank you!
i love how excited he gets showing off the trimmed thoth in the video.. looks beautiful! can't wait to make mine, will definitely put some metalic paint on the edges too

gregory

Trimming the Thoth.

DO NOT trim an older one - the ones where the backs have no white edges. The images on the front are NOT actually all the same size and you will be very sorry indeed. There is a thread somewhere here form a member who found this out the hard way.

I bought one specifically TO trim it, so that I could see the projective geometry properly. If you do it for that reason - do NOT round the corners, or you won't be able to see it so well..

gregory

Oh MY I HATE them with rounded corners :bugeyed:

The square cornered one is exactly like mine.

Richard

What do you want to trim off? Some people trim off the titles, Hebrew letters, and astrological symbols because they don't know what they mean. They are there for a purpose. If you understand what they mean and have memorized them, then they are superfluous and might as well be chopped off. Otherwise, removing them is rather ostrich-like. The reasoning goes like this: I don't understand these weird symbols, so I'll simply get rid of them: problem solved. That is only deluding oneself.