Thoth: Loves newbies, hates muddlers?

Always Wondering

Oh really? Does he say where he thinks they came from? So many of them look, smell, taste and feel like Crowley's uniquely sardonic viewpoint that I find it hard to believe they came from some hack who was hired to append them. I think I agree with PHB on Part One, The Theory of the Tarot, but have seen nothing to support him in Parts Two, Three and IV.

I would agree with Barleywine. But have a look for yourself.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/crowley/libro_thoth.htm

Maybe Mr. Huges hasn't read The Book of Thoth yet.
Anytime I read Understanding Aliester Crowley's Thoth Tarot I am struck at the way DuQuette stuck to Crowley's intent.

AW

FLizarraga

I don't disagree with you on a general note.

All I can say is that my personal evolution, as a gut level reader when I first came to this deck, was such that it got me into some trouble. And it would have been much worse if I didn't have some people on this forum to help me see the difference between self-will run riot, and Do As Thy WILT.

But that's just me and I feel the need to throw out my cautionary tale every once in a while. :laugh:

AW

Point well taken. :p

Thoughtful

Thank you AW for the link, l see that AC explains the cards, but does not give meanings, as in how they refer to a reading, though in the lwb l have they do. So now l am a bit clearer in what PHBarlow was getting at.
Hope l am making myself clear :)

Samweiss

Thank you AW for the link, l see that AC explains the cards, but does not give meanings, as in how they refer to a reading, though in the lwb l have they do. So now l am a bit clearer in what PHBarlow was getting at.
Hope l am making myself clear :)

In BoT there are meanings for the major arcana but not for the minor. The meanings in the LWB comes mostly from Golden Dawn's Book T, at least, in my understanding.

Thoughtful

In BoT there are meanings for the major arcana but not for the minor. The meanings in the LWB comes mostly from Golden Dawn's Book T, at least, in my understanding.

Ah thanks for that, so does DuQuette do the same, still waiting for my book to come.
So how are we to perceive the minors is that what PHBarlow was meaning, that we need to find the magic element within the cards ourselves. l feel a bit like l am drowning but determined to battle on.
One day hopefully l will look back and see just how naïve l was regards the Thoth, and see that l have mastered a little of it :angel:

Samweiss

Ah thanks for that, so does DuQuette do the same, still waiting for my book to come.
So how are we to perceive the minors is that what PHBarlow was meaning, that we need to find the magic element within the cards ourselves. l feel a bit like l am drowning but determined to battle on.
One day hopefully l will look back and see just how naïve l was regards the Thoth, and see that l have mastered a little of it :angel:

Don't sweat it if you find mr. Barlow confusing, as he doesn't explain himself very well and his opinions on some things can be bit "out there". :)

DuQuette's book have the same meanings as the LWB (both major and minor arcana included) and some other meanings in addition to those, but I'm not sure where he have got them from.

Thoughtful

Don't sweat it if you find mr. Barlow confusing, as he doesn't explain himself very well and his opinions on some things can be bit "out there". :)

DuQuette's book have the same meanings as the LWB (both major and minor arcana included) and some other meanings in addition to those, but I'm not sure where he have got them from.

Ok that's a relief l will get stuck into the DuQuette as soon as l have it. Thanks so much for clearing things up for me l feel less like drowning and more floating.
its so good that one can come to this forum and find a wealth of help and advice.

Barleywine

Ah, now I see we're talking about brief keyword meanings, not the detailed explanatory text for the small cards, from which we presently have to draw our own conclusions for divination purposes (but therein lies their charm and value, IMHO). If you can get your hands on it, in 1912 Crowley published in the Equinox what basically looks like the Golden Dawn's "capsule" meanings for all of the cards, although I sense a bit of his own "spin" in some of them.

Thoughtful

Ah, now I see we're talking about brief keyword meanings, not the detailed explanatory text for the small cards, from which we presently have to draw our own conclusions for divination purposes (but therein lies their charm and value, IMHO). If you can get your hands on it, in 1912 Crowley published in the Equinox what basically looks like the Golden Dawn's "capsule" meanings for all of the cards, although I sense a bit of his own "spin" in some of them.

Sorry if l did not explain myself properly.
Its all becoming a little clearer now, l was getting so muddled, but back to basics for me, look at cards, read book and see where it takes me. Will see if l can find book you mention. Thanks for your help :)