The Hermit and the Devil

Herodotus

In his book "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot", Lon Milo DuQuette suggests studying the Hermit card in conjunction with the Devil. Why might this be?

Zephyros

Good question. I don't know. })

But I can make a few guesses. Both cards are quintessentially male; the Hermit is attributed to the letter Yod, the point, the sperm, the seed while the Devil is basically what all that comes out of. Both cards are at opposite ends of Tiphareth, the center and balancing point of the entire Tree of Life. Many interesting relationships can be found in the four central cards Adjustment/Death and Hermit/Devil.

Herodotus

All of that makes pretty good sense. In fact, now that you've said it, I can't think why I didn't think that before!

foolMoon

My guess is that because they are the two opposing / contrasting elements, i.e. Hermit being lonesome, isolated, recluse, ascetic, free, wise, caring and idealistic figure, whereas the Devil is profane, materialistic, likely to be crowded or shackled, pleasure seeking, egotistic and addicted ... etc.

Regardless what sex they are, i.e. both male and female could be the Hermit or Devil depending on the situation and circumstances of their lives, I would imagine.

I have read somewhere that "every element has to be studied from the other side of coin, and in duality"- something like that, but cannot recall where it was from. Anyone?

La'al quiet fella

He might also be hinting at the structure on the tree of life where the energy from Chesed follows the 20th path (hermit) to Tipareth and then continues from Tipareth on the 26th path (Devil) to Hod.

The energies of Tipareth might be seen as reflecting the energies of the hermit into the devil or vic versa depending which way the tree is being followed.

Another perspective is that where the energies of the hermit and devil meet you have Tipareth with all its assosciations.

The two atus taken together might also be viewed as one path from Chesed to Hod.

One card can also be seen as the end result of the other so to speak.