Newbie to Thoth needs advice

Michellehihi

Hello everyone, I have a question. I have a Thoth deck, I never read with it because I feel I need to read Duquette's book and then Crowley's book before. I understand nothing of kabbalah and astrology. BUT if I wait to have read them it will take months for me to really integrate the knowledge. Do all of you have read the book before starting to use the deck???

3ill.yazi

I have to say, I recently picked up a Thoth deck because it was on deep discount --never really was interested, but as it was cheap I thought it would be nice to have one of the Big Three-- and I've actually found it quite compelling and accurate, even though my only experience is with the RWS and more recently the TdM.

Nemia

When I started my Thoth journey many years ago, I had solid astrological knowledge but until recently, I knew little about kabbalah (I know Hebrew, though, and that certainly helped). I found Zephyros and others here on AT a great source of knowledge and wisdom.

I think it's possible to read the Thoth intuitively, the images are strong enough. Write everything down; at a later stage, you may discover depths in your readings that you don't see now. Don't transfer the RWS meanings to the Thoth, though, that would do both a disservice. Read the images, use your books, and try to acquire the knowledge while you work with the deck. It's better IMO to absorb knowledge while doing your readings that interest and concern you, than reading a dozen books and then trying to coordinate and integrate it all.

I'd really do both, read your cards and read your books.

I drew a study Tree of Life and pinned it to my wall, and that helped. A study zodiac and diagram of the planets might help, too. There are many good lists and diagrams you might wish to print out. Color-code them with the elements, that helps for astrology.

I didn't tackle alchemy yet. Read some books but somehow, the knowledge doesn't "gel" with me, I didn't yet find the key. It was a happy moment when for the first time after reading so much about it, the Tree of Life and other kabbalistic concepts made sense, real sense.

Enjoy your journey!

foolMoon

Both Thoth deck and the RWS had been born from the prominent members of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, so they are not clashing or contradictory as such. So in the very beginning I used both decks at the same time, and it helped me getting to know the Thoth deck.

As time goes by, and with more readings, practicing and learning, you get to know more about the differences and also similarities between the two decks.

Michellehihi

Thank you for your answers! I started yesterday but it was not very brilliant. I left the spread on my altar so maybe this morning it will make more sense..
I have a quick question Nemia since you speak Hebrew. Why is Crowley (and others) making so much emphasis on the 22 trumps corresponding to the 22 hebrew alphabet, because I was under the impression that this alphabet contains more than 22 letters? If this is the case, then his association is problematic, no?

Zephyros

Thank you for your answers! I started yesterday but it was not very brilliant. I left the spread on my altar so maybe this morning it will make more sense..
I have a quick question Nemia since you speak Hebrew. Why is Crowley (and others) making so much emphasis on the 22 trumps corresponding to the 22 hebrew alphabet, because I was under the impression that this alphabet contains more than 22 letters? If this is the case, then his association is problematic, no?

Equating the cards to the Tree of Life works to make meaningful connections which wouldn't be possible otherwise. It adds a dynamism and depth to the deck, and makes it work somewhat like a purring machine.

The Hebrew alphabet has 22 letters, but five of them have a final form used at the ends of words.

Michellehihi

Equating the cards to the Tree of Life works to make meaningful connections which wouldn't be possible otherwise. It adds a dynamism and depth to the deck, and makes it work somewhat like a purring machine.

The Hebrew alphabet has 22 letters, but five of them have a final form used at the ends of words.

Thank you! It helps! There are other things I don't understsnd but as you suggest Nemia, I will make posters and study them. I wish there was a book "astrology for dummies".

ETA I have just checked, there is an "astrology for dummies " book!

Michael Sternbach

While it is invaluable for working with the Thoth to have a basic knowledge of astrology, the kind of astrology that is most relevant to Tarot is the astrology of the decans. This is a topic that modern books on astrology usually don't even touch. For studying it, I recommend most of all Austin Coppock's book 36 Faces.

If you are interested in how I started learning the Thoth, here goes. Among a number of popular decks, it was simply the one which appealed to me the most. I bought the deck and soon started reading with it, having as my guides the two only books that were available in German at the time, the BoT and Ziegler's Mirror of the Soul. It was learning by doing, really, but it expanded to an ongoing study of astrology and of the Kabbalah.

The Thoth is like a manual of metaphysics, it incorporates the teachings of many Western and Eastern systems, reflecting AC's great knowledge. If you need to familiarize yourself with all of that before even touching the deck, chances are, you never will! I suggest, do this in reverse: Start with the deck and work from there.

gregory

The Thoth was the first deck Lillie ever bought. She read with it for YEARS - VERY successfully - before she discovered you were "supposed" to study it. Try just using it ? I HAVE studied it, and when I use it, I don't use any of that stuff. Partly because even after doing the 78 card study with it, I still don't fully GET it, really :D

Michellehihi

While it is invaluable for working with the Thoth to have a basic knowledge of astrology, the kind of astrology that is most relevant to Tarot is the astrology of the decans. This is a topic that modern books on astrology usually don't even touch. For studying it, I recommend most of all Austin Coppock's book 36 Faces.

If you are interested in how I started learning the Thoth, here goes. Among a number of popular decks, it was simply the one which appealed to me the most. I bought the deck and soon started reading with it, having as my guides the two only books that were available in German at the time, the BoT and Ziegler's Mirror of the Soul. It was learning by doing, really, but it expanded to an ongoing study of astrology and of the Kabbalah.

The Thoth is like a manual of metaphysics, it incorporates the teachings of many Western and Eastern systems, reflecting AC's great knowledge. If you need to familiarize yourself with all of that before even touching the deck, chances are, you never will! I suggest, do this in reverse: Start with the deck and work from there.
Yes you are right! If I wait to understand all, I will never read with this deck!
I will buy the 36 faces then instead of the dummies.