Newbie to Thoth needs advice

Michellehihi

While it is invaluable for working with the Thoth to have a basic knowledge of astrology, the kind of astrology that is most relevant to Tarot is the astrology of the decans. This is a topic that modern books on astrology usually don't even touch. For studying it, I recommend most of all Austin Coppock's book 36 Faces.

If you are interested in how I started learning the Thoth, here goes. Among a number of popular decks, it was simply the one which appealed to me the most. I bought the deck and soon started reading with it, having as my guides the two only books that were available in German at the time, the BoT and Ziegler's Mirror of the Soul. It was learning by doing, really, but it expanded to an ongoing study of astrology and of the Kabbalah.

The Thoth is like a manual of metaphysics, it incorporates the teachings of many Western and Eastern systems, reflecting AC's great knowledge. If you need to familiarize yourself with all of that before even touching the deck, chances are, you never will! I suggest, do this in reverse: Start with the deck and work from there.
I went on Coppock's website to buy his book. The book is USD$25 which is a little expensive but ok. Then the shipping costs for Canada are USD$15 which is also expensive but what can I do. But then, at the end of the transaction they charged me USD$40 for handling charges!for a total of USD$80!!! Which in Canadian dollars is $118 I am not buying this book.

gregory

I didn't say it was a dreadful starting point - yes, things change as you go on that makes sense.
I'm with Michael here - if you start out reading, you later find... Consider the Lillie - I think most Thothies here would agree that she knew her stuff. And that was how she started - without even knowing that people in places like this "knew" you needed to study. When she started out, it was just a deck she read with - and look how knowledgeable she ended up.

gregory

I went on Coppock's website to buy his book. The book is USD$25 which is a little expensive but ok. Then the shipping costs for Canada are USD$15 which is also expensive but what can I do. But then, at the end of the transaction they charged me USD$40 for handling charges!for a total of USD$80!!! Which in Canadian dollars is $118 I am not buying this book.
Try abe books ?

smw

Why does it have to be one or the other? Get your right and left cerebral hemispheres in sync, mates. Especially if you wish to be good Thoth readers. ;)

It doesn't. I happened to choose in my comment to draw a distinction between two approaches. As you suggest if it is 'always' one or the other' middle grounds are not available. On the other hand the swift responses to my comment might show that my mention of two opposing ideas ( like used to energise debates) encourage the exploration of views within that spectrum :)

smw

I'm with Michael here - if you start out reading, you later find... Consider the Lillie - I think most Thothies here would agree that she knew her stuff. And that was how she started - without even knowing that people in places like this "knew" you needed to study. When she started out, it was just a deck she read with - and look how knowledgeable she ended up.

erm.... :confused: I wasn't disagreeing with you?

gregory

Oh - it came in a little less when I looked on abe. A "mere" $103 CDN - and no "handling fee". I'll look again.....

Sending you a link....

Michellehihi

I will go to the library and look for old books to borrow on the subject of decans.
I am becoming a little dizzy from all this knowledge that is offered to me.

gregory

I don't know about your library - but my tiny little village one would have gone after it on interlibrary loan (free of charge, which always amazes me - in the UK you have to PAY for that stuff !) and would probably have GOT it !

Scion's book is good - but I think he never did actually publish it...

Thoughtful

Gregory your posts here have made me feel so much better about my relationship with the Thoth.
l bought it a while back and decided to get the DuQuette book and dedicate myself to learning as much as possible. Well l did not do well (l put it down to age/brain deterioration!) it all became too much to take in so l abandoned the book, deck the whole darned thing, apart from the astrological references.
Anyway l kept wanting to pick the deck up again, l think its the wonderful artwork that kept calling me. l love the imagery. l sat with the cards and did some self readings using my intuition and letting the imagery speak to me, it worked like a dream suddenly it all made sense.
Having read about Lillie and what you have had to say gregory l don't feel l have to struggle to use the Thoth, l just stay open to what it will teach me.
l never got on with RWS it seemed so staid and bland, though l tried many times with it. The Thoth in comparison is so full of meaning and wonder it opens up like an ever flowing stream.
Hope l don't upset the purists here but l have to work with the Thoth in my own way. Its proving to be a remarkable journey. Who knows some of what l have read may slowly filter through this old brain of mine to add more dimension.
So if you are a beginner with Thoth like me do not abandon all hope quite yet, let it take you at your pace in the way you feel comfortable with.
Who knows we could all end up like Lillie.