Thoth enhanced power training

Michael Sternbach

When Zephyros mentioned his Tarot guided weight training programme last year, this immediately caught my attention. Because I have been training with weights for quite a long time myself (on and off), mostly as a supplement to my martial arts practice.

On a recent request, Zephyros kindly offered to do that kind of reading for me as well. So here's my thread.

I started weight training again in last Octobre, working all the major muscles twice a week (with an additional day just for core training). I do this at home, mostly using dumbbells and barbells. My exercises resemble various martial arts movements as closely as possible. Of each of them, I do one set, starting with six repetitions and working up to ten, before I somewhat increase the weight. This way, I was able to make constant progress that I am generally satisfied with, but there are also a few "problem zones" that have come to a standstill.

One of these are the triceps. I have been training these muscles for quite some time using a specially designed machine that simulates the movement of a Karate punch. When I couldn't further progress with this, I changed to the bench press with a narrow grip on the dumbbell. Eventually, that got harder and harder, so I tried "aggravated push ups" a few times, but that didn't go so well either. Thinking that it may be best to use an exercise with a completely different movement pattern, I started doing dumbbell triceps extensions while lying on the bench (after all, there are also downward strikes in my martial arts style), but I again came to a standstill rather quickly.

The other issue that I need advice on has to do with my leg flexors. I used to train them doing leg curls on a machine that I stack plates on until, over time, I reached its permissible weight limit. Mysteriously, even though I gave it my best effort, it was impossible for me to reach the ten repetitions I was aiming for until now - I repeatedly fell short by just one repetition! So I changed to leg curls done standing, with a dumbbell attached to the ankle of the one leg that is doing the movement. I was doing this for quite some time, but I don't seem to progress much, and it's difficult to find an exercise for that particular muscle that would be fundamentally different.

So, coach me please, Jedi master. :grin:

Zephyros

Hi Michael, didn't want you to think I flaked on you. I've done the reading and will post it up later today. :)

Michael Sternbach

Thank you, Zephyros. I am greatly looking forward to it. :)