Princess as the Throne for the Ace

Richard

It's crystal clear. It should even satisfy the Corvus.

Abrac

I found some material in both Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic and The Golden Dawn that seems to explain "thrones" a little more clearly. It's in the section "The Law of the Convoluted Revolution of the Forces Symbolised by the Four Aces Round the North Pole." The four Princesses each occupy 1/4 of the circle and correspond to three zodiac signs. The Aces correspond to the fixed sign of each quadrant: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius. These are the "thrones" or stations of the Aces. This still isn't a very metaphysical explanation, but there's a lot of material in each book. It's way more than I care to wade into but here's one of the tables:

http://s23.postimg.org/dbowyfdpn/Untitled.jpg

Barleywine

I found some material in both Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic and The Golden Dawn that seems to explain "thrones" a little more clearly. It's in the section "The Law of the Convoluted Revolution of the Forces Symbolised by the Four Aces Round the North Pole." The four Princesses each occupy 1/4 of the circle and correspond to three zodiac signs. The Aces correspond to the fixed sign of each quadrant: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius. These are the "thrones" or stations of the Aces. This still isn't a very metaphysical explanation, but there's a lot of material in each book. The Golden Dawn has more illustrations. It's way more than I care to wade into but here's one of the tables:

http://s23.postimg.org/dbowyfdpn/Untitled.jpg

Thanks! I'll roll up my cuffs and have a wade. The fixed sign focus makes "thrones" or "stations" a logical expression. It suggests that the Aces form a kind of "bridge" between the Princesses and the fixed signs, and it makes sense that they would discharge the "elemental root" there. Good sleuthing!

ravenest

Fair enough, but I'm a visual type. Did you ever produce a diagramatic view of what you think the correct model would look like from a Southern Hemisphere perspective? I really need the "Yahoo Serious" version (like the sly opening scene of one of his movies - maybe "Young Einstein" or "Reckless Kelly" - with the upside-down coastline viewed from an incoming plane windshield) to help me conceptualize. All of our models are Northern-Hemisphere-biased only because that was the terrestrial vantage point of the civilizations that developed all of this stuff. Doesn't make it right (or comprehensive) in the big picture, of course, but I've never seen a pictorial model in any of the astrological literature, only words - and vague ones at best.

The whole concept of trying to nut out "The One and Only True and Verified Cosmological Correspondence" between tarot and astrology has always seemed like a bit of what used to be called a "snipe hunt" anyway. Just because both of them are there doesn't mean they have to be synthesized. But it does make for an engaging mental exercise (or time-waster, take your pick.)

Nah ... I am a 'lo-tech' , I still use diagrams and models , without computers.

I dont think it is the correct model - just ' a model' . But a valid one ; the diff between the two is that I think I think I can show fair justification in what I did . And for me , fair justification, means it should hold patterns and relationships seen in other good systems and observable in nature.

Richard

Abrac's post clarifies things even further. Many thanks!

Here is an overall view of my understanding of the distribution of cards. It is a two dimensional projection of half of the celestial sphere showing a half cycle of the ecliptic from the Tropic of Capricorn to the Tropic of Cancer.

Attachments

• sphere.jpg
    sphere.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 131

ravenest

Thanks! I'll roll up my cuffs and have a wade. The fixed sign focus makes "thrones" or "stations" a logical expression. It suggests that the Aces form a kind of "bridge" between the Princesses and the fixed signs, and it makes sense that they would discharge the "elemental root" there. Good sleuthing!

Good sluething ? ! I told you what this would lead to .

You guys are funny. I told yas if you took it further you would come to the "The Law of the Convoluted Revolution of the Forces '

Now what is your preference .... the 'leaping formula ' ?

" The Murkiest Golden Dawn Teaching " ;

http://hermetic.com/beastbay/977122345/

( I tried to find the diagrams from the Book ... but only got this ;

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...r0YLMAhXCkpQKHSIDDvAQ_AUICCgC&dpr=0.9#imgrc=_

:D :D :D

ravenest

Here is an overall view of my understanding of the distribution of cards. It is a two dimensional projection of half of the celestial sphere showing a half cycle of the ecliptic from the Tropic of Capricorn to the Tropic of Cancer.

and the rest of the cards ?

Michael Sternbach

Please correct me if I'm getting you wrong, but if the curve in your diagram is meant to be the ecliptic, it is incorrect. Where the GD text refers to the North Pole and South Pole of the celestial sphere, it means the poles of the ecliptic (a.k.a. the zodiac, for our purposes here), not the North Pole and South Pole as in the projection of the terrestrial poles on the celestial sphere. To make this clearer, the axis between the latter is currently aimed at the Polar Star, the axis between the former at a nebula in the Draco constellation.

The ecliptic/zodiac is perpendicular to the axis that connects the two ecliptical poles, whereas the celestial equator is at a 23,5 degrees angle to it. The zones of the Court Cards (minus the Princesses) and the zodiacal Majors are both ending right at the line of the ecliptic.

But perhaps I misunderstand your diagram somehow.

Barleywine

Good sluething ? ! I told you what this would lead to .

You guys are funny. I told yas if you took it further you would come to the "The Law of the Convoluted Revolution of the Forces '

Now what is your preference .... the 'leaping formula ' ?

" The Murkiest Golden Dawn Teaching " ;

http://hermetic.com/beastbay/977122345/

( I tried to find the diagrams from the Book ... but only got this ;

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...r0YLMAhXCkpQKHSIDDvAQ_AUICCgC&dpr=0.9#imgrc=_

:D :D :D

This the one?

http://web.archive.org/web/20050403192719/http://www.qblh.org/~tala/LiberXIII/appII.html

As Dark Helmet said in Spaceballs: "They've gone to plaid!" But I think I can parse out the gibberish well enough to find some kind of spacey "occult physics" in it before they bring the restraints and the sedatives. At least I'm pretty sure I can follow the "convoluted" links.

Michael Sternbach

The GD scheme brings to mind the Revelation of John which describes the zodiac with an initial emphasis on the fixed signs, and speaks of thrones. The seven Spirits of God are the seven planets (the respective Majors are said not to have any fixed place in the GD text). The division of the zodiac in 24 sectors is an ancient alternative to the more popular division in 36 sectors (decans). It seems quite possible that here we have the source of the GD idea of the thrones before us.

Rev.4

[1] After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter.
[2] And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.
[3] And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
[4] And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.
[5] And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.
[6] And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind.
[7] And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle.
[8] And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.
[9] And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,
[10] The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
[11] Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.