Thoth Tarot Positive or Negative Energy?

Raven134

Hi,

You know when I look at the Death card I see Osiris preparing souls for rebirth. To me the string of bubbles waiting for rebirth look like a strand of DNA which is a strange Coincidence since at the time they didn't know what DNA looked like. This card has it all; scary image of Osiris representing our fear of the unknown and of change, the Scorpion legend to commit suicide when cornered, and the souls in the bubbles of rebirth. To me when I get this card in a reading it means there are big changes coming and I need to accept them for being what they are... Doesn't automatically mean physical death as the others before me noted.

I think the Thoth Deck is very complex and as others stated before also, has a lot of energy. I cant say it is Positive or Negative though. It is a challenging deck to use though because of its complexity. I've been studying it for years and still consider myself a newbie.

Blessings to you.

stella01904

mercury8 said:
I own several Tarot decks, among them Aleister Crowley's Thoth Deck and am curious what the forum thinks regarding the energy surrounding the deck. I like using the Deck, but am a little put off by what may seem to be negative energy possibly associated with the deck with regards to Crowley. I would like to use this deck, but am not sure if it is infused with negative energy because of Crowley, and would like to hear what others have to say.
I don't use the deck but only because it's too modern-looking for my taste. I have no problem with Uncle Al's "energy".

If I could have the proverbial dinner party where you invite any five people living or dead, he'd definitely be there to keep things from getting boring.

Sonic

I'm just going to throw this out there on a lark and ask. Did you ever think that when the deck speaks to you it invokes deep carnal things within yourself that one often doesn't wish to see?

This deck has haunted me for years. I do not own it! I cannot use it and I won't touch it. Still, it is very powerful to those who use it and more importantly LOVE it. Good or bad, positive or negative, all decks cannot be all things to everyone. In my guestimation it has it's own section for a reason.

One more note before I take my leave if I may, we do not use a deck we're comfortable with to promote a 'positive' or comfortable outcome. All we do is convey good bad or indifferent. If you are not comfortable with any divination tool, never use it with anyone else until you've worked out the personal issues with it.

Fascinating thread though, I do love everyones input thank you for it.

thinbuddha

Every time someone does a reading with this deck, the Second Coming is delayed another year.

Aerin

Trust yourself to 'know'

Sonic said:
If you are not comfortable with any divination tool, never use it with anyone else until you've worked out the personal issues with it.

I agree completely. I love the artwork style of the Thoth but ........

I have owned two versions of the deck (a green and a not-so-green), and each time it has made me uneasy in an unhealthy feeling way. Not in the way that some decks can be challenging and uncomfortable (such as the Bohemian Gothic) but in a I-can't-put-my-finger-on-it-but-I-do-not-like-this-it-is-not-healthy-for-me way. So I have traded the deck for other things.

I feel the same about ouija boards, and I trust my other-than-conscious mind to know what it is doing.

There's something about it that isn't right for me, at least for the present. I don't say it isn't right for others, just not for me

Aerin

Lillie

thinbuddha said:
Every time someone does a reading with this deck, the Second Coming is delayed another year.

Read, people, read!!!

The first coming made a hell of a mess, we don't want that happening again!!!

ZenMusic

Second coming of Crowley?

ravenest

I thought Crowley was constantly coming - and THAT was the problem?

[Loved that comment above ; " Did you ever think that when the deck speaks to you it invokes deep carnal things within yourself that one often doesn't wish to see? " - Great word carnal. I actually like that word so much I might develop some of my own 'carnal desires'.]

Aeon418

Sonic said:
Did you ever think that when the deck speaks to you it invokes deep carnal things within yourself that one often doesn't wish to see?
This is the whole point of this thread in a nutshell. The Thoth Tarot has no energy or an evil aura surrounding it. How laughable! :laugh:
If the deck stirs up any unwanted feelings those feelings have one source, yourself. Gnothi Seauton.

Aerin

Aeon418 said:
This is the whole point of this thread in a nutshell. The Thoth Tarot has no energy or an evil aura surrounding it. How laughable! :laugh:
If the deck stirs up any unwanted feelings those feelings have one source, yourself. Gnothi Seauton.

I completely accept and own my own feelings as coming from within myself. I don't attribute any energy or evil aura to the deck. And I still don't think the deck is healthy for me at least at the moment: the cards and I do not interact well. That's the case with other decks as well, it's just that the Thoth is so famous that for I while I felt I *should* have it and felt guilty that I didn't like it: I've let go of that feeling now.

However, if some people do feel that the deck itself (as against their interaction with it) is negative in some way then that doesn't sound like a laughable feeling to me but rather a scary feeling which it isn't necessarily a good thing to try and work through. It may be better just to walk away as some have done and come back if and when they feel ready.

Aerin