Thoth Tarot Positive or Negative Energy?

Aeon418

Aerin said:
However, if some people do feel that the deck itself (as against their interaction with it) is negative in some way then that doesn't sound like a laughable feeling to me but rather a scary feeling which it isn't necessarily a good thing to try and work through. It may be better just to walk away as some have done and come back if and when they feel ready.
The imagery of the Thoth can connect one to their natural, primal instincts. But because of repression and the pervasive influence of modern society the feelings that these perfectly normal drives arouse are interpreted in a negative light. Some people seem to project this apparent negativity outward onto the deck itself, 78 pieces of cardstock!

The Thoth presents an opportunity for exploration and healthy integration of drives and feelings that modern society rejects in favour repression and neurosis.

The Thoth Devil sums this up perfectly. He's the ultimate figure of evil to most. Our repressed inner darkside, projected outwards and objectified as the Goat of Mendes. But see him for what he really is and you begin to open your own Third Eye, just like him.

Aerin

Thanks for your reply Aeon.

The feelings I get though are about the existence of a kind of crystalline, alien unfeeling consciousness: have never had any carnal issues with the deck personally.

It's that 'unfeelingness' that I don't like and that I don't feel is healthy for me: and again, I take full responsibility for my response. I think it is the artwork that triggers the response that I have, makes me think of Moorcock type beings removed from my plane of existence. I have probably read Diana Wynne Jones's "Homeward Bounders" one too many times (and Michael Moorcock come to that).

Aerin

WolfyJames

Maybe you should start with the Liber T, it's a Thoth clone so it's pretty much the Thoth but the look and feel is different.

Lillie

If you don't like it, don't use it.

There are plenty of other decks out there.

Try the RWS.
Most people get on with that one, or one of it's many variants.
Most of them are pretty innocuous.

No point persisting with a deck you feel so bad about.

I used to read Moorcock.
Never particularly saw a connection with this deck, but the holy grail is in there, and so is a nice big sword (more green than black, but you can't have every thing)

ravenest

Aerin said:
Thanks for your reply Aeon.

The feelings I get though are about the existence of a kind of crystalline, alien unfeeling consciousness: Aerin

Aha! ... Now, if we postulated that certain feelings COULD come through the deck, I'd find this MOST interesting.

People talk about a thing called the 93 current. It is different for each but for a few it seems to relate to a type of energy that one contacts when working Crowley 'stuff' (I'm being very general). What you desribed above, in a way, reminds me of Kenneth Grant's take on Thelema (and the 93 current). The best example is A.C.'s sketch of Lam, a Spirit of Mars (I think), it certainly looks like the pictures of 'Aliens' that 'abductees' have drawn and described. I had a book (homemade publication) of a woman's, full of drawings of these strange creatures in another crystalline dimension. The woman had been deeply into Crowley and got ill and spent a lot of time in hospital, where she had the visions.

I'd relate that flavour more to H.P. Lovecraft than Michael Moorcock.

However, might be all coincidence and your 'unfeeling, crystaline, alieness' might be a result of the artistic experients in projective geometry by the decks artists.

Sonic

Aeon418 said:
This is the whole point of this thread in a nutshell. The Thoth Tarot has no energy or an evil aura surrounding it. How laughable! :laugh:
If the deck stirs up any unwanted feelings those feelings have one source, yourself. Gnothi Seauton.

Just for a clarification here folks, I wasn't saying "the devil made me do it!" It was all about your feelings are your own. Unless we're derailing the thread in which case the dog ate my homework ;) Είμαι γνωστός!

Aeon418

ravenest said:
What you desribed above, in a way, reminds me of Kenneth Grant's take on Thelema (and the 93 current).
Oh ye gads!!! Kenneth Grant!!! Whatever next? Transyugothian teratomas?
Ia Cthulhu! Ia Yog Sothoth! :laugh:

Muir Aingeal

This deck has always been very good to me and there has never been any evil surrounding it or bad spirits. It's a mindset to think it is "evil" or bad. It tells it like it is and that is all, plain and simple. For those who do not like the cut throat truth this might not be the deck for them because it does not sugar coat readings. It's not a syrupy sweet deck by any means.

Lillie

Sonic said:
Just for a clarification here folks, I wasn't saying "the devil made me do it!"

You better not.

That's what I say...

ravenest

Kenneth Grant made me do it.