Ancient Italian Tarot

WolfSpirit

I also trimmed my Classical Tarot but I trimmed it further back than Hooked did, I also removed the narrow white border that is still on her cards :)
It makes the cards very narrow, and the backs look a bit weird - but I thought it was worth it, a nice back is a bonus for me but not a necessity. And now I quite like it being narrow, it makes it a bit different.
I still don't have a scanner so I can't show them.

sapienza

It was interesting to see your trimmed deck Hooked. It does look better. I think I'd go all the way though and make it totally borderless. I'm no fan of the back of that deck though, I do prefer the back of the Ancient Italian.

Hooked on TdM

Le Fanu said:
SO glad you pointed me in the direction of that, Hooked, I keep looking at my Classical and wondering. Now I see just how much better they look. The ones with the card face up look fantastic and excellently done. But there is a picture of the back which looks unfinished? (bottom left) As if one side hasn´t been rounded (?) Did you just snip off the keyword side and not touch the other side?

No I hadn't rounded the corners on those ones yet. I scanned them in first just to show what it looked like after I trimmed them and before I rounded them. :)

Oh my god I forgot! Off to deal with my Ancient Italian! Duh!

Hooked

sapienza

Just popping back in to this thread to say how much I adore my Ancient Italian now I've had it for awhile. It reads beautifully, it shuffles beautifully. I have also aquired both the Classical and Tarot of the Master and a second Ancient Italian (yes, I do need help!!!).

I must say, although the Classical is finer and more vibrant the facial expressions seem much sterner than in the Ancient Italian. I think that is one of the things I love about the Ancient Italian, the expressions on the faces seem to make the deck so much more accessible for someone who hasn't been very successful with historical decks in the past (ie. me).

Thanks again to all who provided info back when I was considering the purchase.

sapienza

Le Fanu said:
. The Ancient Tarot of Lombardy (another Scarabeo historical deck) is also exquisite. I recently received the Meneghello edition of this, the Tarot "Neoclassico" and it just takes your breath away.

I just purchased a copy of the Ancient Tarot of Lombardy. I think I need help :) I find I'm using my Ancient Italian more and more and even considering using it for all my readings. I feel like I'm being sucked into the wonderful world of historical Italian decks.....and I must say, I'm rather enjoying it!

Le Fanu

sapienza said:
I just purchased a copy of the Ancient Tarot of Lombardy. I think I need help :) I find I'm using my Ancient Italian more and more and even considering using it for all my readings. I feel like I'm being sucked into the wonderful world of historical Italian decks.....and I must say, I'm rather enjoying it!

Well, at least you have a spare ;)

Funny you should be posting this now, as I am currently working on a review of the Soprafino for publication here and Ive been spending the last two days revisiting the wonderful world of Italian decks.

If you've got the Ancient Italian, Scarabeo Classical Tarot, Lombardy, Meneghello Soprafino, Meneghello Tarocchi Neoclassico, then you've got them all! Believe me, the Neoclassico is a world apart from the Scarabeo Ancient Tarot of Lombardy. I love the LoS version, but nothing beats the Meneghello on this one. So much more delicate, with richer colouring, feels like you have an original watercoloured deck in your hands.

Ive just submitted a review for the Tarot Genovese which should be up soon. Have you checked that one out? It's cheap and really quite unusual.

Why do you say you need help? (apart from the fact that you have people like me enabling...)

sapienza

Excuse my ignorance (I'm still very new to this whole historical tarot world) but what is the difference between the Lombardy Meneghello Soprafino and the Meneghello Tarocchi Neoclassico? Is the first one the one like the LS Classical and the second like the Ancient Lombardy? Or are they completely different? I'm afraid right now my budget just won't stretch to the Meneghello decks, postage and exchange rate issues really bump up the cost. I only say I need help because I seem to be on a major buying spree lately :) But I think I'm done for now. Mind you, I did just say that the other night after I got the Minchiate Etruria didn't I?

Le Fanu

sapienza said:
Excuse my ignorance (I'm still very new to this whole historical tarot world) but what is the difference between the Lombardy Meneghello Soprafino and the Meneghello Tarocchi Neoclassico?

There's a comma in there somewhere! I meant (Ancient Tarot of) Lombardy AND Meneghello Soprafino.

To clarify, there is the;

Meneghello Soprafino (Ltd edition)

Scarabeo Classical tarot; the same deck as above but with borders, keywords, bigger cards, not Ltd edition, not square corners etc etc.

Ancient Tarot of Lombardy

Meneghello Tarocchi Neoclassico; a Ltd edition of the above deck, with stronger colouring, no borders (the cards end with those fancy lines at the edge of the Anc. Tarot of Lombardy). much nicer IMO. Smaller cards, overall more delicate somehow...

faunabay

Le Fanu, where does the Tarot of the Master fit in with these? Just curious as I've recently gotten the LS Classical and love it.

I'm seriously thinking about getting the Master deck now though. Partly because I love the look of it and partially because I love the way sapienza reads with it and I want to try. :)