Book depository order

gregory

You win! :laugh:

Actually I think Amazon have just got sneakier in general. I remember when there used to be a reasonable "cooling off period" where you could cancel recent orders fairly easily. Now orders seem to enter dispatch quite quickly, but then they sit there "dispatching soon" for the best part of a week.

And I really don't like the 'hard sell' of Amazon Prime during the checkout process. It's easy see why so many people have signed up by accident and have not realised until money starts being withdrawn from their bank accounts.
Yes - I HATE that. I am very careful - but did once get a months trial by accident when it defaulted to prime during checkout - I was on one-click - watch for that, people :mad: - (the item did arrive 18 hours after ordering, which was fun !) and I cancelled immediately I realised. They were quite annoyed that I refused even to carry on testing it. I'm not stupid - I have a memory like a sieve... :D

But it's true - 99% of the time one can so easily wait. The time one cannot is the time to allow a 30 day Prime trial ;)

I also had no idea they were only in the U.K. They call themselves Book Depository USA so I thought I was purchasing from America. I avoid international purchases because they take forever. Never ever again.
I thought they had warehouses all over.

Tanga

Lol.

Having grown up in a place where access to stuff online was hardly possible and you had to order in shop (with fingers crossed) the "old fashioned way" - and wait forever - I'm quite happy with, and generally look first at - the BD.
(a question of perspective?).

Yes - things have gotten slower as Gregory and others mentioned.
Such is the ever increasing competitiveness of life sadly.
But mostly - you still get your items. Lol.

** I live in the UK. So - delivery so far has always been really prompt.

FLizarraga

<snip>I understand how frustrating it can be waiting without knowing what is going on. So I would advise readers to check out the sellers' feedback, buy from reputable sellers, support local businesses where possible, and to be aware of these issues and develop a little understanding and patience - not all delays are due to scammers or shady business practices - they are just the way things are these days.

I'm posting only the end of your response, but I agree with all of it. Sadly, as far as books and decks are concerned, it's getting harder to support local businesses, for the simple reason that they have mostly evaporated... :(

It's simply because amazon bought them out. Amazon want everyone to pay for Prime. Amazon itself is also way slower than it used to be for non-Prime users. I still use BD because postage IS free, and also because their return policy is second to none. Instant response; and if it was their error you get to keep the item, and they send you another !

I have Prime (as well as a couple of other two-day express shipping services like ShopRunner) and even then you do get your stuff two days later, but only after they get around to ship it.

Interestingly enough, when I buy stuff from a UK vendor, it rarely takes more than a week to arrive. If the seller is in continental Europe, however, it can take from two weeks to, say, seven. Germany is particularly bad. (I'm in the States.)

Do people really sit around checking where a package is?

The short answer is: yes.

I'd like to give you the long answer, but I just washed my hair.

So, BD is by far my preferred seller. Did truly not know that delays in delivery and long waits are a thing at BD...!

It depends on where you live. Apparently folks in Europe have a shorter wait with them.

tapasr_57772aeb7

Yes - I HATE that. I am very careful - but did once get a months trial by accident when it defaulted to prime during checkout - I was on one-click - watch for that, people :mad: - (the item did arrive 18 hours after ordering, which was fun !) and I cancelled immediately I realised. They were quite annoyed that I refused even to carry on testing it. I'm not stupid - I have a memory like a sieve... :D

But it's true - 99% of the time one can so easily wait. The time one cannot is the time to allow a 30 day Prime trial ;)

I thought they had warehouses all over.
The gaul![emoji35]

G6

It's simply because amazon bought them out. Amazon want everyone to pay for Prime. Amazon itself is also way slower than it used to be for non-Prime users. I still use BD because postage IS free, and also because their return policy is second to none. Instant response; and if it was their error you get to keep the item, and they send you another !

WoW, who knew Amazon owned BD?! I don't want to pay for shipping or Amazon Prime, so BD is the go to if the item is cheaper there even though their shipping does take longer. They did send me another deck when one was misprinted, so they are cool with that too. However, if you want instant gratification pay for expedited shipping someplace else.

avalonian

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I ordered a deck from Book Depository at lunchtime on Monday, I had an email less than three hours later to say it had been sent and it was delivered today.

:)

Grizabella

Sorry if this is the wrong place but for those who order from them through amazon, is it normal for their packages to take forever to arrive?? I ordered lenormand deck from them on feb 24 and I still haven't received my package. I went with them because people seem to like them on here. I received my book order for a copy of The Essential Lenormand by Rana George from a different seller across the country a week ago. I'm not happy.

I ordered just once from Book Depository in the US and it did take forever to get the package. I know lots of other people in the UK and elsewhere swear by them but I just don't want to wait so long never knowing if they've even gotten my order so I won't be ordering from them again.

olivia1

I spoke too soon. I received my tiny lenormand deck today. I ended up opening it and It was squished. Also it was sent from Jamaica, New York. Not international. I purchased this deck the same day I purchased a book from another seller also from across the country. the book arrived much sooner. No, slow packaging and a damaged item won't kill me but customers deserve better.

decan

Honestly? I thought everyone did... ;)
I didn't know!
Amazon will buy the world, it is a bit frightening! :bugeyed:

Anyway, I bought on the Book Depository several times (I am not a regular customer), and it was indeed a bit long to receive the item, but things was okay and acceptable. Their customer service (by email) was effective and pleasant (I contacted them one time for a package a bit late with regard to the sending).
Not a bad experience for me.