How do you store your cards?

MoonGypsy

I have two matching brown paperboard boxes with flowers on them that sit on my desk. The small one is perfect for holding 3x5 index cards (with sections on individual card studies, information on decks I have, decks I want, spreads, etc.) and the large one is for the decks I want to work with at the moment, in individual bags. The overflow, including boxes of the ones I'm currently playing with, I put in a bigger paperboard suitcase with peacocks on it.

I'll be moving into a tiny house sometime this year, so have to keep it to those boxes and no more. Having attractive boxes makes that easier - I keep telling myself if I get too many decks, I'll have to go find another box that goes with the ones I have. Since I hate shopping, that's a great deterrent for me!

oooh, Linda, i really like those boxes for storing decks...really nice! i store my kits,
some decks and books in a large bookshelf, some are housed
in a large wooden Armoire,
some in in my night stand drawers and the rest in
flat storage boxes under the bed...:p Sheesh! :p

ShinyAeon

My tarots go in bags (and the bags go in a couple of baskets).

I have three or four fancy bags bought expressly for my decks, but most of them are either repurposed from gift-wrap bags, or the kind of velvet or satin bags you buy in bulk from jewelry-supply places. (Which, now that I think about it, are also gift-wrap bags...but they didn't come to me as gifts.)

I have one bag I made when I was starting out with tarot...because some of my books said that tarot decks must be wrapped in silk to protect against stray vibrations (and I took that sort of advice seriously back then), I bought half a yard of some raw silk fabric in a gorgeous emerald-green to make it. It's held all my main reading tarots (except now it holds my favorite oracle deck (Beasts of Albion), because my main Tarot, the World Spirit, is wider than most decks, and consequently a tight fit).

One deck has its own carved wooden box...not because it's my favorite deck or anything, but because it just fits the box so perfectly! I think the box originally held some kind of tourist-y souvenir (it has "St. Moritz" carved on the back); I got it either from a thrift shop or a garage sale, and it just happens to fit my Hanson-Roberts deck like it was made for it.

All my decks then go in two decorative baskets that fit on my bookshelves, near the tarot books. One has a lid, so that's where my most-used decks go, so I can grab it and go. I have not quite twenty decks at last count, so that's plenty of space for them all.

There's a small storage bin where I keep some of the empty boxes they came in, if it's a nice box, or if I think I might pass the deck on someday. If it's a standard paper box, and I'm pretty sure it's a keeper deck, I usually discard it (the box, I mean) at some point.

The Happy Squirrel

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439883322.071112.jpg

In a self decorated (a bit rough there done over lunch) tin

Sparkle_126

I use my native smudging bag for my tarot cards and then store the bag in my closet shelf. Smudging is a native cleansing technique and my bag has things like sage, lavender and cedar. I feel that it is appropriate for my cards to keep any bad entities away.

I am aboriginal and believe very much in spirits, so this method of keeping my cards clean is very appropriate to me. I do smudge occasionally before reading too.

shadowdancer

I tend to use tins for most of my decks. 2 oz stash tins are fine for poker sized or trimmed tarot sized cards.

However, I have just had printed a 20" sq cushion cover, which I will use to store my own deck and associated paraphernalia . (Pendulum, journal, decks etc) The beauty of the cushion cover is that it can also be a double sided spread cloth. Just a one bag grab and go set up.

I was pleasantly suprised by the material used. It is not the satin finish so no danger of it being snagged and tatty after just a few uses. If anything it is more of a canvas feel and is very robust.

Photos are of the jpgs uploaded, and close up of the weave, as well a card layout to show how perfectly sized it is. Just a shame the photograph looks washed out. That is down to my camera work :( In real life, it is colourful and vibrant.

I love being able to find multiple uses for something :)

Attachments

• cushion rear.jpg
    cushion rear.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 182
  • cushion front.jpg
    cushion front.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 166
  • close up of material.jpg
    close up of material.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 164
  • spread with cards.jpg
    spread with cards.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 157

Cocobird55

Cushion looks really nice.

LindaMechele

oooh, Linda, i really like those boxes for storing decks...really nice!
Thanks, MoonGypsy! I've already outgrown it though. Ha! So much for keeping it small.

New photo - tarot in bottom (not even half full though), oracles above them (also half empty so far...), tools next (Deck of 1000 Spreads, dry erase markers for it, runes, etc.), then index cards on top. I got the boxes at Michaels years ago. I'm glad they're finally coming in so handy.

Attachments

• Tower of storage boxes.jpg
    Tower of storage boxes.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 239

MissChiff

I have two cedar chests. But I also have a room.. I just need to clean it out...

Yelell

Years ago I stumbled on a slew of those fake books with the hidey-hole compartments inside, and they are just snazzy for stowing my cards. I don't like bags (not my bag, baby), but I keep each deck inside its own "book" with a sort of talisman. For example, one deck resides with a packet of XX gold leaf left over from my arts-n'-crafts days; my Pierre Madenié 1709 is tucked away with a pair of metal rattles from New Year's Eve 2000; my knockabout RWS from 25 years ago is with a set of keys from my first car

I wasn't really happy with the pinkish box I got for my overflow of decks. Nice box, but just too frilly for me. I remembered this post, wondering where to find something like that, and then a couple weeks back saw a big old fake book storage thing at a thrift store. I think I fit 18 decks inside that thing, it's just awesome.

MissChiff

I wasn't really happy with the pinkish box I got for my overflow of decks. Nice box, but just too frilly for me. I remembered this post, wondering where to find something like that, and then a couple weeks back saw a big old fake book storage thing at a thrift store. I think I fit 18 decks inside that thing, it's just awesome.

That is very attractive...