Addictions and Tarot

Honeysun

Hello everyone,

I have a question - does being addicted (or quitting) impair your ability to read tarot?

I'm planning to quit smoking this summer (again) and I'm afraid I'll have to put away my cards. I think every smoker knows the symptoms of withdrawal, which might affect the readings. Thoughts?

Edward Tarot Hands

Hi
I quit smoking 4 years ago and didn't suffer any withdraw symptoms except for the vague idea of 'wanting a cigarette' for a couple of days. I think the idea of withdraw symptoms is psychosomatic reinforced by people and tobacco companies telling us about them in order to sell us products to 'aid' the withdraw.
I quit by fasting for 3 days
As for reading Tarot, I think it would be a good experiment to see how your mood can influence the reading, especially as much of it is highly subjective

decan

Hello everyone,

I have a question - does being addicted (or quitting) impair your ability to read tarot?

I'm planning to quit smoking this summer (again) and I'm afraid I'll have to put away my cards. I think every smoker knows the symptoms of withdrawal, which might affect the readings. Thoughts?
I don't think you'll have to put away your cards because you are going to quit smoking.
Unless if they are times when you could feel very uncomfortable because of that; it's possible, but not all the times.

I don't agree with the previous poster, I was smoking in the past (not anymore), but to stop was difficult for a long time for me. It's more than spychosomatic symptoms of withdrawal.
Nevertheless for some people it is easier to quit smoking than for other, probably.
Personally I think that it isn't so easy, but?

G6

Just read for yourself in a meditative way. It'll definitely help take your mind off cigarettes. Reach for your deck instead. I hope you quit cigarettes! ✌🏻

Gwynydd

I always imagine shuffling would keep my hands busy during a quitting attempt.

MissChiff

I always imagine shuffling would keep my hands busy during a quitting attempt.

This was me! I quit in December and it was ROUGH! I smoked for 30 years..the shuffling helped..A LOT... I didn't really have any problems reading.

decan

When you want a cigarette, drink a sip... of water! :D
It is a very simple tip but this helped me a lot when I quitted smoking (a long time ago).

Anyway, Good Luck!

Gwynydd

This was me! I quit in December and it was ROUGH! I smoked for 30 years..the shuffling helped..A LOT... I didn't really have any problems reading.

That's great news! Well done 😊 I must try that

AnemoneRosie

I was fine. I read for myself on ways to make it easier. That was fine too.

barefootlife

Several of my friends who have quit smoking said that the hardest part was not having something to do with their hands or an excuse to go outside and have a break every once in awhile. Tarot sounds like a great thing to do with your hands, and if you're an outside smoker, remember to keep taking those outdoor breaks. Just bring something to fidget with!