Chrysalis Tarot - Crying Sun, meaning doesn't resonate

OaksWhispering

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i_9CmGNZYi0/U1BaFU5BUNI/AAAAAAAABCs/O58z9mFq4Oo/s1600/Holly_Sierra-Sun.jpg

I struggle with this otherwise happy looking card because of the tear. The author says that the sun sheds a tear because humans "neglect beauty, truth, and justice in favor of materialism, power, and dogma." I feel, however, that this is a pessimistic view of humanity and takes away from the happiness that the sun card is supposed to bring.
And so when I pull it up I really don't feel the joy that I ought to, because I am distracted by what the tear signifies.
It originally was not painted with a tear, and evoked such happiness in me, that I was disappointed with the change. For a while there, after reading the meaning for the tear, I just accepted it but now I can't help but disagree and feel that I am rationalizing whenever I try to be okay with it.

Would like to hear your thoughts, perspective, and possibly advice on how to not feel bummed out when I pull the Sun.

rwcarter

You could always consider it to be a tear of joy instead of a tear of sadness.

OaksWhispering

That is true, I have tried that but I do find it difficult. Perhaps my real issue is that I need to unlearn what the LWB tells me. I am still relatively new to tarot, and though I understand not all of the meanings in LWB/guidebooks will feel right to me, I have so far not had to unlearn anything.
I am not sure how.

rwcarter

I'd actually suggest NOT unlearning the LWB meaning. Keep it in your arsenal of meanings because at some point that meaning may be the correct one in a reading. You can augment what's in the LWB with your own interpretations and experience. Explore all the possible meanings/associations of tears and of water, especially in relation to the fire/heat of the Sun.

OaksWhispering

I like that idea of exploring tears and water in relation to fire/sun. I think that could prove quite helpful. Thanks!

BrownBear

The meaning that I first learned for the Sun card is "visible experience". Since human experience includes the sad as well as the joyful, the tear doesn't bother me. The Sun is a card of revelation. It shows us what we are experiencing without denial. That is the interpretation that works for me.

JoyousGirl

Perhaps try thinking of the original sun card which has the baby on it? When people have just given birth and they meet their child for the first time they often cry. Or hysterical laughter that brings tears to the eyes.

Sometimes there is a lot of beauty in sadness; tears are shed when we must say farewell to the most beautiful love and source of joy we have known.

Or just a stinking hot day or a curry that makes us sweat! Neither here nor there, it just happens.

OaksWhispering

There is indeed beauty to be found in sadness. I have been looking at the card more and more, and the feeling I am starting to get is this: love. The sun just looks so compassionate and loving that I almost think he is crying from how large the emotion of pure love is.
I am liking that feeling, and maybe there is even some relief in that tear. Relief from the gratitude that it is a new day to begin again with.

Thank you for the insights. I am giving thought to the Sun card being of revelation. That is not the way I learned the Sun card for some reason, but it resonates (of course it's about revelation; what is hidden in the moon comes to the light). I think of how I have felt when having a revelation, especially about any part of me that was hidden in shadow, and how liberating that was, and it just matches the artwork on the Chrysalis Sun for me.

This has been most helpful.