Tarot of the Holy Light Companion Book

The Happy Squirrel

Well, I ordered *this* book :)

Patrick Booker

I have got the book and read about half of it. There is a great deal of information, including many references to astrology. Christine has her own rather complicated system, but it is possible to select which aspects to use and which to ignore. I was attracted to this deck because I find alchemical images so evocative, and I find the book extends my ability to respond to them. You certainly don't need to accept all the historical details outlined in 'The Underground Stream' and critically reviewed by Scion. The deck stands on its own merits and the book is a useful guide, at least in my opinion.

Patrick

The Happy Squirrel

That is good to hear Patrick :) I am looking forward to skimming it and sharing my beginner's thought on it :)

Patrick Booker

The image for Temperance in the book has a dove hovering over the water. It isn't there in my copy of the deck. Maybe there was a later edition of the cards?

Patrick

Frater Benedict

Although some of her historical claims are highly debatable from a historical critical point of view – I still haven't seen any hard evidence for the hypothetical 'Fratres Lucis document' before 1863, the real Fratres Lucis of the 1780's didn't study tarot, and the milieu for the original tarot imagery was less countercultural than she sometimes assert – I highly admire Christine Payne-Towler as someone who transmit, popularise and develop the French tarot tradition, which really deserve serious attention. I look forward to read this book.

Christine

might I butt in?

I appreciate everybody's kind comments and excitement about the THL book! It has been a long time since I've stopped in here, so it is gratifying to learn that we are not entirely forgotten.

Yes the book has more to it than the apps do. The apps explain what is printed on the faces of the cards, but don't touch on the astro-alchemy and angelology that also ride along behind and below the visible message. I intended the deck and the books to reveal the esoteric considerations built into the Tarot outline according to the constants of Renaissance magic. That's been my goal from the beginning, and I think by the time both books are out, you'll see why I am so willing to put my life work and reputation on the line in this way.

In the meanwhile, though, I think the cards "hold their water" even without my elaborate exegesis, and the proof of that is the many positive remarks we get from professional readers who have added it to their collections. You have already seen Benebell Wen's extremely careful review.

Here's what Rachel Pollack said at Facebook the other day: "A couple days ago I got Christine and Michael Dowers's book for The Tarot Of The Holy Light. this is one of my favorite Tarots in recent years, and i am delighted to have this superb book to go with it. congratulations!"

Also Adam McLean gave us this shout-out at FB after his copy came in: "Christine Payne-Towler recently sent me a copy of her companion book to her Tarot of the Holy Light. What a massive task she undertook in writing this. 492 pages of densely written and clearly constructed original insights. Definitely not a tired rehash of other peoples' ideas, but full of esoteric and alchemical references. A substantial piece of writing."

I hope this tempts a few of you to check it out!

Christine

new edition of the cards

Yes Patrick, you have an eagle's eye! No one else has brought that up yet.

Michael accidentally left the dove out of the original edition. Actually, he sent an earlier iteration of the image to the printer, I plotzed when I first saw it! He will use the correct version in the next printing.
We are gathering up momentum to accomplish this task later this year. It all depends on how fast these last few boxes of decks go out.

He's designed a new back for the next printing, so it will be visibly "new". I think the change will also make the 1st edition a little more precious over time.

Patrick Booker

Christine, if you are producing a new edition, there is an error in the Two of Disks. The decanate reference on the card is 1-20 degrees Capricorn, but I think it should be 11-20 degrees.

I am finding the book very helpful, and look forward to the second volume.

Patrick

Inanna*Descending

about ordering the book/kindle/shipping/any questions

Hello all,

I am Christine's minion and here to answer any questions you may have about the book. Many details, and reviews are already available at our Facebook page (we made a page for both the book and the deck to make it easier to order them/review them/ask questions). Please like and check our page for updates:

https://www.facebook.com/holylightbook

We will post as soon as we get the go-ahead from Kindle (Christine is in the talks with them), and please go ahead and post your own reviews once you get the book on the page, we'd like it to be an open page for discussion and questions regarding the book and the deck.Thanks and see you guys there! (and here :) )