What happens when you get conflicting readings ?

petrina_678

I have the bad habit of reading a situation more than once, just a few days apart.
Only when the situation is especially pressing or close to my heart.

What happens when you do two readings and they are at such complete odds with each other. The first reading is the worse case scenario, the absolute worse. The 2nd reading was just perfection, more or less everything I want.

What does this mean? What are the cards trying to say? How would you interpret something like this?

Rachx

For me, that depends wholly on the situation. Sometimes situations can change in a moment and the cards reflect that

DownUnderNZer

Best not to be subjective or emotionally connected as that is what will play havoc.

However, this might be a workable idea, calm down, still your mind, and imagine you are reading for "someone" else even though it is really for "yourself" ONLY read them like you would for that "other person" as though a new client or stranger.

DND :)

I have the bad habit of reading a situation more than once, just a few days apart.
Only when the situation is especially pressing or close to my heart.

What happens when you do two readings and they are at such complete odds with each other. The first reading is the worse case scenario, the absolute worse. The 2nd reading was just perfection, more or less everything I want.

What does this mean? What are the cards trying to say? How would you interpret something like this?

barefootlife

I'd stop reading on the same situation until it has time to develop, personally. Post that first reading here and get some feedback on interpretation, and then give the actual thing some time to happen. Reading over and over on the same subject relatively often is just going to get you tangled up and confused. Also, feedback on here can help you get a more balanced perspective of that first reading, to give you an opportunity to see things in it you might have missed. We're all learning and have different thoughts about the cards, from intuitive to deeply mathematically and astrologically oriented. You can get a whole lot of other perspectives.

We see this question often enough, and the answer usually ends up being something akin to bugging a person about the same thing over and over. They're either going to tell you 'no!' where they said yes before or say whatever you want to hear so the conversation stops. Cards are funny like that, and so is our interpretation.

Grizabella

Did you use the same deck for both readings? Sometimes that will make a big difference.

Sentient

petrina, The cards you laid could represent your fears and hopes, respectively. If you're confident of your interpretations, the tarot is telling you that your emotions are driving this situation more than the facts.

If true, consider the possibility that you're not reading the cards objectively. Perhaps the "bad" cards are not as bad as you think, and the "good" cards contain more information than you've been able to pick up on so far. Posting the spreads in Your Readings might provide you with some dispassionate advice.

Mystica7

If you start constantly reading on the "outcome" of a situation without giving the cards a good deal of time to manifest, they will be showing future in its later stages, and that future may have nothing to do with your original question or the subject.

Hope this helps.

Брианна

I did this once and was told by a friend to not do the same reading twice unless it's been about a month or something in the situation changed.

Also, if I'm feeling particularly anxious or stressed about a certain situation, I don't read about it until I've calmed down because I've found it affects the readings quite a bit, and it just leaves me confused.

karykeion

Could be a good opportunity to think about what might lead to either of those outcomes. For the horribly depressing spread, how could those influences be present already? How could they be affecting the outcome? Can you do anything to prevent it, or is it telling you, "Hey, it's time to cut out what you ARE doing"? Same with the really favorable spread. Both readings could easily be describing sets of existing factors that could influence your situation one way or another instead of conflicting futures, so maybe try to look for where they are now and either take advantage of them or get them under control.

RavenOfSummer

I'd stop reading on the same situation until it has time to develop, personally. Post that first reading here and get some feedback on interpretation, and then give the actual thing some time to happen. Reading over and over on the same subject relatively often is just going to get you tangled up and confused. Also, feedback on here can help you get a more balanced perspective of that first reading, to give you an opportunity to see things in it you might have missed. We're all learning and have different thoughts about the cards, from intuitive to deeply mathematically and astrologically oriented. You can get a whole lot of other perspectives.

Totally agree with this! I think with tarot, as with most things, you get out of it what you put into it. This goes for both learning the tarot (an ongoing, probably lifelong process) as well as individual readings. Take the time to really take in the message of the initial reading. Only then, once you feel you have gotten to the point where you have fully taken that in and need additional direction, do another reading.

Everyone does things differently, but that's just my advice based on my own experience. I have also at times found that a reading builds off of a previous reading or has advice that's meant to be combined with another reading. So that's another possibility.