Illustration of 10 Swords in Thoth

La'al quiet fella

Frieda Harris on the pattern in the background of the six of swords

"The swords are lying on a fencer's diagram (14th century) which was worked out scientifically to show the positions in which a fencer can stand and be invulnerable"

I know this thread is for a different card, but I thought this quote might shed a bit of light on the thought processes going on in relation to the Creation of the backgrounds to the swords suit.

They also get referred to as swastikas. An encyclopaedia of symbols I have says of the swastika that it's shape gives the impression of circular movement, maybe in this suit as the movement of air?

ravenest

yes, I remember that from an old post here. It is an interesting diagram on its own ( I just googled some ). It looks like frieda extended the lines (of course :) ) from the diagram beyond it (the squared circle ) . The forms of crystalised air are still there outside the diagram, in this case, simpler and more precise.

This card is a good example of the difference in influence of that part of Aquarius (as opposed to the confused and disruptive 7 , see the stars I noted previously in that sector) , here I am seeing the beneficial influence of ' Skat' ( the shinbone of Aquarius ) ; 'sheat' ( Al Shi'at, a Wish ) . Good fortune and happiness , safety in deluge. Robson cites, when with the Sun a negative " criticism and persecution through mediumship ", (so watch out for nasty tarot readers :D ) but overall very good influences.

Interestingly , with Jupiter " Philosophical occult or religious mind, social success, prominent in Freemasonry " - this could be represented on the card; seeing the cross in the middle as the supine candidate, at that oart of the ceremony where the other Masons are standing around the supine candidate all pointing their swords at him . (Not so good with Saturn , Uranus and Neptune ) but with the influence of mercury Peculiar events, occult interests, psychic, many friends.

( Vivian E. Robson ' Fixed Stars and Constellations in Astrology'. )

La'al quiet fella

yes, I remember that from an old post here. It is an interesting diagram on its own ( I just googled some ). It looks like frieda extended the lines (of course :) ) from the diagram beyond it (the squared circle ) . The forms of crystalised air are still there outside the diagramme, in this case, simpler and more precise.

This card is a good example of the difference in influence of that part of Aquarius (as opposed to the confused and disruptive 7 , see the stars I noted previously in that sector) , here I am seeing the beneficial influence of ' Skat' ( the shinbone of Aquarius ) ; 'sheat' ( Al Shi'at, a Wish ) . Good fortune and happiness , safety in deluge. Robson cites, when with the Sun a negative " criticism and persecution through mediumship ", (so watch out for nasty tarot readers :D ) but overall very good influences.

Interestingly , with Jupiter " Philosophical occult or religious mind, social success, prominent in Freemasonry " - this could be represented on the card; seeing the cross in the middle as the supine candidate, at that oart of the ceremony where the other Masons are standing around the supine candidate all pointing their swords at him . (Not so good with Saturn , Uranus and Neptune ) but with the influence of mercury Peculiar events, occult interests, psychic, many friends.

( Vivian E. Robson ' Fixed Stars and Constellations in Astrology'. )

Thank you for this. I am at such a preliminary stage of things that I cannot add anything of any value, but your post is really interesting. In relation to astrology, I only realised the other day how well the cardinal fixed and mutable signs assign to the tree so well for each suit, so you can see how much I have to learn.