Newbie to Thoth needs advice

Michellehihi

I just bought 2 books to help me understand the Toth:
Astrology for dummies
Kabbalah for dummies.
One has to learn from the beginning, right?

Oink

I went to the links you proposed, and I cannot open it on my ipad, let me see if the desktop computer will work.

Thank you! This is the first time I've tried sharing a deck, so it's entirely possible I didn't get it 100% right. I tested it in a separate Anki profile on my own machine and it worked fine, but that may not be a great test bed. I really appreciate you trying it on your devices!

Nemia

Thoughtful, you don't need to know Hebrew to understand the basics of the Tree of Life. Writing the names of the sephirot in Latin letters is perfectly enough to learn about their characteristics. And the ten names of the sephirot are not difficult to remember after you read enough about them ;-)

I made a study poster of the Tree where I wrote things down that I learned about it. It was next to my work desk at home for months, and that was a great help. I don't need it any more, but I made a nice model of the Tree from coloured glass drops. That's next to my bed. I like to look at it.

Strange - for so many years, I read and read about Kabbalah but nothing left any traces in my mind. It was just words. And one day it made CLICK and I started to understand this idea of divine light, filtered down through the Tree's paths and sephirot.

I came to the conclusion that this is the kind of knowledge that comes slowly and you can't force it. Just wait until your mind is ready for it. And then, I found that it's really quite intuitive. It makes so much sense.

I can't even explain why. And compared to others here, i know NOTHING.

But you can understand it without Hebrew. I'm certain.

Just imagine that light drips down through the Tree as if it was water, like a fountain of light.

Thoughtful

Once again Nemia you have been so helpful and encouraging l will try the Tree of life as you explained it. l felt so daunted by it but that will be my next learning curve, so l will do as you did and make a poster up.
Hopefully at some point it will all sink in.
Love the imagery of light falling down through the tree as a fountain of water and light.

Michellehihi

I am now reading Kabbalah for dummies and it is very interesting. The way the author explains the Tree of life, I understand! It makes sense and I wanted to share it with you, and Nemia your idea of a poster is so helpful.
Let me rephrase what I have understood so far: the sefirot are different characteritics of God, that we can experience or see in our lifes, and the goal in life is to reach a point where we experience them all.
And regarding the broken vessel, I think I understood that all the pieces scattered everywhere are parts of God, and it is our mission to try and unite those pieces as one again?
I am happy because last few months I was really stressed and anguished, because I could not grasp all this knowledge. But I feel now like the door is opening a little.
If I wrote something wrong, please correct me!

Thoughtful

Kabbalah for dummies.
l think l shall invest in that book Michellehihi as you seem to find it an easy book to read and learn about the tree of life.
All or any help is good at the stage we are at :)

Nemia

I don't know Kabbalah for Dummies but the other books from the series are good. They also give good sources so that you can continue your journey from there. Sounds interesting!

Michellehihi

I don't know Kabbalah for Dummies but the other books from the series are good. They also give good sources so that you can continue your journey from there. Sounds interesting!

Nemia is my interpretation ok?

Nemia

Oh I'm absolutely not competent to judge anyone else! *blushing furiously* Please, ask somebody who really understands. I hardly put my toes into these deep waters!

ravenest

I think your interpretation is okay .... so far. The thing is, to start off with some type of basic understanding and then build on it. There are a few models for this basic understanding. Once one begins to build on it, it becomes a template. In a way, one can then develop 'multiple bases' of understanding so one can use the basis of the Tree for gaining comprehension about many things.

" Let me rephrase what I have understood so far: the sefirot are different characteritics of God, that we can experience or see in our lifes, and the goal in life is to reach a point where we experience them all. "

I think the 'see and experience ' first comes as a progression of understanding each phase (Sephiroth). Next comes the comprehension of how they all come together and work together to create any whole system.

One thing to bear in mind is there is more of a 'traditional approach' via or with influential aspects , of Judaism - like your definition above - the other is more modern and western and relates to tarot, enumeration, and concepts we may understand better in their classical western form ( like the 4 elements ) and number progression from 1 - 10, and correspondance systems ( as in 777 )