Pyschobilly Tarot

Zipgun

We have our first two designs for what will be at least a majors deck and t-shirts for several of the card designs. The third design is being worked on now. A small kickstarter will be up an running soon, for one or two card and shirt designs, as a test run. Would love to hear what you think and we are open to suggestions.

Attachments

• PBTDeath.jpg
    PBTDeath.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 437
  • PSB Charriot.jpg
    PSB Charriot.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 406

HudsonGray

The Chariot is a little 'Steampunky' which will appeal to that niche market too. But the Death card is more biker oriented. That one didn't appeal al much to me but hey, given what I've seen in t-shirt designs at our state fair this year, it would sell just fine. Everyone likes bad ass skulls and cycles. LOL

Grizabella

The thing is, you have to study Tarot enough to decide whether you want to do a RWS style clone, a Marseilles style with unillustrated pips, or a Thoth-y deck. And in order to have enough symbolism to make the deck really useful for a reader you have to add in symbolism. Even collectors, I think, want some real Tarot symbolism in a deck. Just a picture of a bad ass truck or a hell's a poppin' biker skeleton isn't going to really get it for a lot of people. So I suggest you do quite a bit of reading in order to figure out how to make your images actually readable to the desired audience of the three styles.

Let me give you a for-instance. A Chariot in the RWS tradition has two sphinxes or horses, one white and one black, and there's symbolism on the chariot and the drivers clothing, etc. Now think how you could incorporate someone trying to control the "chariot" and how you could work in one "charioteer" who is keeping the two "horses" under control to get him where he wants to be without a wreck.

Your art work is great, but I think you're going to have to really learn about Tarot in order to be sure you add enough symbolism to make it something more than a flash in the pan.

tenth

The artwork is great and I'm a big psychobilly fan, will definitely be checking up on this project.

Grizabella makes a fair point, but I think I'd have to see more than two images to see how far the imagery strays from tradition as a whole. For instance, Death's usually seen riding a pale horse (white or yellowish, depending on the interpretation) so I'd like to see Death on a pale bike, just from my experiences. I think the little touches like that could go a very long way to make the cards really resonate--people who are very familiar with tarot can see those little nods and appreciate them. It looks so cool so far though, I can't wait to see more!

Zipgun

It's definitely a balancing act, trying to keep traditional and more modern symbolism for both the tarot and the theme. You either have to make changes and try to keep the symbolism in as a variation or in a different form or put a more modern figure in a archaic setting. We've decided to go with the former. Looking at the history of The Chariot, various creatures have been depicted pulling it, when they are depicted, which is not always. Even in RW clones, there are variations, and some times the sphinxes are left out completely, just showing a close up of the chariot and charioteer.

It's kind of hard to convey the triumph inherent in the card if your automobile needs to be pulled by anything (being light hearted, not snarky :) ). What we have done is change the design from sphinxes (ours are hawk headed) pulling the chariot to being supporters of the design, so that we keep them in a modified form.

The automobile we chose is the deuce coupe, THE hot rod. It's an excellent choice for a modern chariot as these cars were not merely fast cars, they were stripped down, modified and rebuilt to the will and knowledge of the driver. And driving high performance racing cars is an act of mastery.

The auxiliary gas tank does look a little steam punk, but it's a real and functional hot rod accessory. We are trying to make the entire project appeal to a broad range of people and interests. One of the nice aspects of "psychobilly" is that being strongly influenced by 50's pop culture (horror, hot rods, pin ups, and rockabilly/rock and roll, to name a few aspects) it touches lot of interests.

Not all of the symbology that we've kept is in the main part of the design either. The eight pointed star is now by the number. The wings surmounting the disk of Horus and the lingam and yoni are now present, in a modified form, by the winged tire. We even kind of doubled down on the lingam and yoni by piercing that element with a hoop. As a water aligned card, there is a wave in the back ground. the wave is easier to see in the Death design, but it's in both.

Rhapsodin

Actually I do like this art. Recent times have seen a move not so much away from tradition but broadening it and it rests with everyone how much of a shift they can tolerate.

I do have some sets that seem to pay little respect to tradition but I've been happy with the art itself and sometimes they bring insight of their own.

I confess to being more interested in the art and meditational capacity than reading. So I'll keep in touch with this project.

♣♣♣

Zipgun

Death updated and new cards

I hope you like them.

Death's transitional/transformation interpretation is enforced by the flowering plant under the front wheel of the motorcycle and the undead musicians. The musicians serve the symbology in two ways. First their very state of being post death is a transformation and continuance. Secondly, there is a transcendent property of music, which the musicians also portray.

The Empress is shown in a pin-up pose with many of the traditional card symbols around her. There is a bit of humor in depicting Lilly Munster in a sensual pose. She was always portrayed as wife and mother, but not submissively. Combining those roles with the sexuality of the pin-up works well to portray the strong feminine, sexual and maternal meaning of The Empress.

The Lovers are depicted as the earthly creations the Monster and the Bride. The are connected, and in harmony. Below them are two glasses of beer, a base earthly pleasure. Above them is a symbol of love, not a temporary physical love, but a more spiritual enduring love. A card of choices concerning "love" in many different levels or kinds.

The Hanged Man is portrayed as an astronaut suspended above the Earth grasped by tentacles. The meridian lines of the Earth create the astronaut's halo. This unusual depiction still works for a meaning of sacrifice willingly made for understanding. The hero's journey is not with out danger. Suspended, floating inverted in a place between life and death, the astronaut’s eyes are open seeing everything from a different perspective.

Attachments

• Hanged Man.jpg
    Hanged Man.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 236
  • The Empress.jpg
    The Empress.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 234
  • The Lovers.jpg
    The Lovers.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 236
  • Death2.jpg
    Death2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 231

reall

luv it!^^ finally good goth contemporary tarot deck!^^ XD ;))))

Metafizzypop

Zowie, this deck is uber cool. I hope it turns out to be a whole 78-card thing.

Zipgun

Zowie, this deck is uber cool. I hope it turns out to be a whole 78-card thing.

We are looking at doing at least a marjors deck. Would like to take it all the way and do a full deck.