The more I see it, the less I like it.

Teheuti

No one has to like or use or refer to the Rider-Waite-Smith deck!!!!!

This area is for those who have a "special interest" in the Rider-Waite-Smith deck. What is known or said about the RWS deck need have no impact on anyone reading with any other Tarot deck. It doesn't make any other deck, or readings with any other deck, better or worse, except as each individual perceives it for him or herself.

Unfortunately, we live in an historical period where the majority of books in English reference elements of the RWS deck and in which English-language publishers have preferred to publish decks that also referrence it. Never fear, as this appears to be changing.

Zephyros

I agree that Waite probably did not work with her, item-by-item, on the pip cards. However, there's some very specific Masonic symbolism and other esoteric images and Golden Dawn references that could only have come from Waite, so he did set some parameters. My theory is that he gave her several meanings for each card that came from Etteilla, the Golden Dawn, and Robert Chambers' Book of Days, plus, I believe he told her a story that went with each suit (from materials he was also working on at that time). She was a trained book illustrator and through her synesthesia she had trained herself to record exactly the images that psychically came to her. I believe this all came together in a way that may have almost seemed channeled.

I agree with all of this. Still, I wish there were more really original decks. Let's say the deck was based mainly on Book T, there's so much information there yet to be taken advantage of. Book T gives a general blueprint to the Golden Dawn esoteric Tarot, but the RWS is just one depiction of that blueprint. Using the same base, a deck creator could make an entirely new, pictorial deck that had the same meanings, but were depicted differently. The many decks that use the RWS imagery aren't really new, since they superimpose something on top of the original, rather than replace it.

Teheuti

I agree with all of this. Still, I wish there were more really original decks. Let's say the deck was based mainly on Book T, there's so much information there yet to be taken advantage of. Book T gives a general blueprint to the Golden Dawn esoteric Tarot, but the RWS is just one depiction of that blueprint. Using the same base, a deck creator could make an entirely new, pictorial deck that had the same meanings, but were depicted differently. The many decks that use the RWS imagery aren't really new, since they superimpose something on top of the original, rather than replace it.
If you go back to the original Book T (which Crowley copied) then you'll find that there are several decks that depict it. You can certainly use one of those to work with. For instance, http://hermetic.com/gdlibrary/tarot/whare_ra/tarot1.html

The RWS deck is not specifically a Book T deck, although it was influenced by it. Waite incorporated material from lots of other decks and books, since he translated and was familiar with most of the French Tarot materials.

Some people don't like entirely "new" tarot decks because you may have to learn a whole new set of meanings and pictorial or cultural references, which don't always have much depth to them. For instance, many of the early LoScarabeo decks did not follow a Golden Dawn or Waite base but, rather, were based on a myth or story that one needs to learn.

What do you find to be the most successful, totally "original" deck, closrapexa?

Zephyros

If you go back to the original Book T (which Crowley copied) then you'll find that there are several decks that depict it. You can certainly use one of those to work with. For instance, http://hermetic.com/gdlibrary/tarot/whare_ra/tarot1.html

Oh, no question, there are quite a few, but I was talking of a deck with pictorial minors, like the RWS. Although Book T doesn't describe illustrations, the RWS nevertheless manages to convey the meanings, and in most cases quite beautifully.

What do you find to be the most successful, totally "original" deck, closrapexa?

If I sound like a picky snob, I'm sorry, that wasn't my intent. :) I know the RWS isn't purely Book T, but it still has its basic structure, from which Waite took off in the direction of his own symbolism and methods of conveying meaning. But to answer your question, it's the Initiatory Tarot of the Golden Dawn. While it has its share of problems like any deck, it is the only deck that I know of that went back to Book T to make a new pictorial deck. GD minors, as a general rule, have pips. They have varying degrees of embellishment, sure, but the RWS is the odd one out. The blurb says the artist didn't know of other decks (although the deck itself shows he was at least familiar with the RWS), and it actually shows, and that's why I find it so fascinating. It's a completely new pictorial deck, using the same base as the RWS but taking off in different directions. Some cards do bear a resemblance to RWS images, it nevertheless manages to do very different things with the material.

truelighth

This is an interesting thread. For me, it was just the opposite. Instead of liking it less, I started to like it more. When I first saw the RWS, I was put off by the bold colours and art and I didn't buy it. Then I did a course and started working with and before I knew it I fell in love. I still love it today, it will always be my number 1 deck.

I actually find that the art is very delicate in it's own way. Especially when you see the artwork of Pamela in the context of the time. There are a lot of theatre and Japanese influences in her art. But then, maybe it is an acquired taste to love the RWS.

Conniejfoster

I bought a Rider White month ago or so. I think is a fabulous deck to start and learn, but from some days ago, the more I look to the deck, the more I find it horrible. Ugly. Simpy, poor technical drawing, ugly colours. Even the blue sky of the star is ugly.
Does it happened to you?
Is the cheapest deck I think I have, so is the one I take with me on my bag, and is with me at the office, just in case I need it. But each time I find it more and more ugly. Total disconection with the deck.

I have three decks I use. Though I started with the Rider Waite, I saw others I liked better. I used some of them and didn't feel as though I read as well them and came back to the three I have now. Last month I started something new on a whim. I ask clients to choose which deck they preferred. Can you believe all but one chose the Rider Waite deck?
I was totally surprised.

I too recommend new students start with the Rider Waite.

tigerlilybug

I bought a Rider White month ago or so. I think is a fabulous deck to start and learn, but from some days ago, the more I look to the deck, the more I find it horrible. Ugly. Simpy, poor technical drawing, ugly colours. Even the blue sky of the star is ugly.
Does it happened to you?
Is the cheapest deck I think I have, so is the one I take with me on my bag, and is with me at the office, just in case I need it. But each time I find it more and more ugly. Total disconection with the deck.

I felt the same way, I actually do not and probably will not ever buy a standard RWS deck but I do believe it's important to have that style deck in my collection!! Anyway the cure for me was The Golden Universal by Lo Scarabeo :)

Richard

......Anyway the cure for me was The Golden Universal by Lo Scarabeo :)
Nice artwork, but do you ever wish that there weren't all those dots and swirls in the background? I should think it would be bothersome and distracting.

Attachments

• a_s.jpg
    a_s.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 151

tigerlilybug

Nice artwork, but do you ever wish that there weren't all those dots and swirls in the background? I should think it would be bothersome and distracting.

So funny you mention that because the reviews for this deck are so so, that being one thing most couldn't stand about it plus the pents having pieces of gold missing but these little things that most dislike is what I love about the deck those little dots and swirls are great, for me I feel like a little kid looking at each card!

Richard

So funny you mention that because the reviews for this deck are so so, that being one thing most couldn't stand about it plus the pents having pieces of gold missing but these little things that most dislike is what I love about the deck those little dots and swirls are great, for me I feel like a little kid looking at each card!
Thanks! That's interesting.