Interesting: Resguarde / Hoodoo Mojo Bag

The Happy Squirrel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1wlv8AdJsHQ

I came across this on YouTube :) This reminds me of the spiritual practices around me when I was growing up. A blending of some Catholicism and a more 'tradional' spiritual believes that are 'native' to the land which predates Christianity. I am looking at how he cleansed the bag with camphor and the sign of the cross :)

Is hoodoo different from voodoo?

Tanga

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1wlv8AdJsHQ

I came across this on YouTube :) This reminds me of the spiritual practices around me when I was growing up. A blending of some Catholicism and a more 'traditional' spiritual believes that are 'native' to the land which predates Christianity. I am looking at how he cleansed the bag with camphor and the sign of the cross :)

Is hoodoo different from voodoo?

Yes - though I cannot tell you how exactly - you'd have to google.
Voodoun is from Haiti (mix of West African traditions transported there via slavery and then intertwined with Christianity). Theoretically the West Africans found associations with Christian saints and festivals and combined the two either through efforts to believe both, or so that they could continue to practice what they knew - under what appeared to be a more "converted" banner.
...Hoodoo could be a sprinkling of Voudoun with addition of native traditions of whatever area it arrived in? ... and Hoodoo I think, refers more to the practice of "making a specific spell" - "spell bag".
Hence a Hoodoo shop - is a spellcraft supplier.
Santeria is a mix of West African traditions transported via slavery to Cuba, then mixed with Christianity.
And there are many sub-categories of how these are practiced, as different African tribes where all mixed together and ofcourse, they had quite a wide diversity to begin with.

I recently went to a Santeria (or Lacumi) workshop here in London UK. Interesting comment the Priest made (who incidentally resides in Holland :) ). They have recently been re-introducing the practice to West Africa with the premise being that as the able-bodied were slaved away - what remained where the old or too young - to carry on the traditions.
However - having grown up in East Africa - I would say that there is also that powerful force of "modernization/becoming more westernized" that has very slowly warped any original practice.

Camphor - from the Western esoteric tradition (Wicca and similar practice) is for health and divination. Associated with the Moon (so Lunar magic) and the element of water.
Used to lessen sexual desire apparently :) (taken from "Cunningham's encyclopedia of magical herbs". I'm Wiccan - so you've caught my fancy with this post.)
Camphor has a strong warming menthol-like smell - it's medical effect is on the respiratory system to help "banish" if you like, respiratory infection. That can be extended to banishing negative energies (by the "laws of association").

:) I like the sound of his voice (though it could be a bit smoke worn) and his practice of using odd numbers.
(and an aside - the full moon for me - is 3 nights strong, so a bag such a this would be in the moonlight for 3 nights, gibbous on either side, full in the middle).

(Can't wait for that Ghetto Tarot to be complete :) ).

The Happy Squirrel

thanks for that tidbit Tanga. I am mainly interested from an anthropological perspective. I came across a hoodoo webpage and it was rather good. Let me look for it and post the link here :)

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks for that! Always good learning new things!!!