Touchstone Tarot by Kat Black

Seeking1

I treat all my decks with a great deal of respect.
I feel as if my Touchstone is something special and to be used.

ArwenNightstar

Kimber said:
Just a comment - hope it's not too off topic - but does riffling your decks bother anyone else but me?? For some reason I feel like I'm being....disrespectful....by riffling tarot cards like ordinary playing cards. I NEVER riffle my tarot decks!!

Not at all. I riffle (or I like to call it poker shuffle, lol) and sideways shuffle too. Some decks don't have the give I need to riffle so those I sideways. I sideways more than anything. :)

Nina*

I would never poker shuffle this deck, but I wouldn't do that to any of my decks. Not because of ''respect'', but because I'd hate to distroy them.

faunabay

There are always people who don't like to riffle shuffle. Everyone has the way that's best for them to use. I do riffle shuffle. I feel like I get a better shuffle that way (shrug) that's just me though. I respect anyone who likes to do it differently. We all have our own ways. :)

catz

Riffle or shuffle

I think I meant to say that I do both - though I certainly do both softly. I don't do anything to adversely affect my decks so I guess I don't feel that a good riffle now and then has to cause damage .... I think it is really wonderful to hear how we all do things differently - it really what makes our world go 'round! I learn an awful lot just by reading these forums !

All Is One

Strategeus said:
I just received my Touchstone Tarot LE (418/500) today, and it is absolutely beautiful! It's everything I could have hoped for and more. And the bag is gorgeous too!

I took the deck out just once to look at the number and artwork and then quickly and carefully put everything back into the bag exactly as it was and taped it back up in its original shipping container, to be saved until I feel comfortable moving beyond the Universal Waite on which I'm learning. :) While I had it out, though, I looked through the cards...simply stunning! I'm very happy with it, and the presentation of the whole package was superb! It's truly a treasure.

Best regards,
Rob

Let me get this straight.....the Touchstone is only your second deck???

Let me say that I commend your excellent taste and also that I'm quite jealous in that your tarot experience will surely be strongly influenced by this deck in so many ways!

I do agree with Faunabay, however, and would say that you might really get more out of the Touchstone tarot by plunging right in!

I do understand your fears, as I ordered a second limited edition and I'm leaving that one sealed. I've already spilled 7up on the Fool card and had to wipe it off (it was fine.)

I'm with Faunabay on the riffle shuffle too. (That's what you call the shuffle you do with playing cards?) I also feel I get a better shuffle that way. There is another way to clear a deck, and you might not know this one....

You lay out the first seven cards in a row, then go back to the start of the row and lay another seven cards on top of those and then keep doing that until all cards are down in seven piles. Then pick up the piles in order or at random, and you have cleared the deck of cards sticking or of cards doing their own little tricks.

This would give you a very good shuffle without beating up your cards. This was from RJ Stewart, in his book to accompany the Merlin.

Rob

All Is One said:
Let me get this straight.....the Touchstone is only your second deck???

Let me say that I commend your excellent taste and also that I'm quite jealous in that your tarot experience will surely be strongly influenced by this deck in so many ways!

I do agree with Faunabay, however, and would say that you might really get more out of the Touchstone tarot by plunging right in!

I do understand your fears, as I ordered a second limited edition and I'm leaving that one sealed. I've already spilled 7up on the Fool card and had to wipe it off (it was fine.)

I'm with Faunabay on the riffle shuffle too. (That's what you call the shuffle you do with playing cards?) I also feel I get a better shuffle that way. There is another way to clear a deck, and you might not know this one....

You lay out the first seven cards in a row, then go back to the start of the row and lay another seven cards on top of those and then keep doing that until all cards are down in seven piles. Then pick up the piles in order or at random, and you have cleared the deck of cards sticking or of cards doing their own little tricks.

This would give you a very good shuffle without beating up your cards. This was from RJ Stewart, in his book to accompany the Merlin.

Wellll...not exactly my second deck, but close. A little over two weeks ago, I got my first deck at Barnes and Noble...the Universal Waite...and some books on tarot. I started learning, found AT, subscribed, and then realized wait a second...there are hundreds of amazing decks out there! Having a very "collecting" personality, I decided to start a collection. My fiancee joined me in this. Now, I have the following:

Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot (Gold Edition)
Bohemian Gothic Tarot (Silver Edition)
Celtic Tarot (Davis)
Dark Grimoire Tarot
Deviant Moon Tarot
Gendron Tarot
Gothic Tarot (Vargo)
Haindl Tarot
Le Tarot des Templiers
Manga Tarot (Lo Scarabeo)
Nefertari's Tarots
Renaissance Tarot
Robin Wood Tarot (w/ signed companion book)
Spiral Tarot
Stairs of Gold Tarot
Tarocco di Colombo
Tarot of Prague (First Edition)
Tarot of the Master
Touchstone Tarot (LE 418/500)
Universal Fantasy Tarot
Universal Waite Tarot
Victorian Romantic Tarot (Gold Edition)
Visconti Tarots

With the Archeon (signed), Illuminated (medium, double-painted), Tarot of Trees, Star Tarot, Buckland Romani 2nd edition, Favole, DruidCraft, Tarocchi delle Stelle, and Il Tarocco Delle Vetrate on the way... and an empty bank account. :p

One might call it an obsession...I call it enthusiasm. :p The Touchstone, though, is one of my absolute -favorites- of all I've gotten so far, for sure. It's an amazingly nice deck that I will treasure for a long time to come.

There are two additional reasons I started out so enthusiastically! 1) I want to get all the -existing- decks that I want so I only have to concern myself with ones yet to come out, and 2) the closest new age/occult/metaphysical store to me is over an hour away and very very expensive, so it's makes more sense for me to buy a lot of decks and then trade (or sell for just a little loss) the ones that I don't fall in love with right away. Just a note, though...the Touchstone is not one I plan to ever sell or trade. :D

Whew, what a month...

All Is One

Strategeus, you got your first tarot deck and then all of those in 2weeks????

That is simply incredible.

Still jealous.

The Touchstone is quite an amazing deck, I completely agree.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea that someone can go from 0 to 120 in less than 60 seconds. This has been quite the 2 weeks for you!

Bravo!

firefrost

Wow Strategeus, I imagine Christmas will come in a little bland after this exciting purge!

I'm enjoying watching your tarot journey. ;)

minrice

Oh my goodness Strategeus! Well it appears that Tarot is just the thing for you, you obviously go with what you feel in the moment and I think that is a huge key factor when doing Tarot! All those decks, that is too cool.

That was a great tip AIO, I will definitely keep it in mind. Very simple and gets the job done.

Personally I don't think rifling is disrespectful at all, it certainly doesn't come from a disrespectful place for me. I just enjoy the sound and feel of rifling, I think it's fun lol. I've never been gentle on anything (ok, except my books) since the day I was born ;) Tis' not my way!

I must get over to 78 Friends one of these days and put my two cents in. Does anyone know if the Touchstone has completely sold out yet?