RWS- Strength and Justice Switch of Placements

Hooked on TdM

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking my best bet is to find a decent book on RWS that my son could read and follow from there. What card placements are based on is way beyond his understanding right now.. and I think I'm just confusing him as Marseille style is so very different.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good book for a young teen to learn the RWS?

Hooked

GryffinSong

I like Tarot for Yourself.

Berbatov

Hooked on TdM said:
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking my best bet is to find a decent book on RWS that my son could read and follow from there. What card placements are based on is way beyond his understanding right now.. and I think I'm just confusing him as Marseille style is so very different.
Why not let him use a TdM instead?

What do you think is the main difference between the two decks?
Do you guys have any suggestions for a good book for a young teen to learn the RWS?

Hooked
What exactly is it that you would like him to learn about the RWS?

The symbolism or the divinatory meanings?

The RWS is about ideas, in particular the ideas of A.E. Waite. Some of these ideas can be very complex and hard to grasp, not the least because Waite deliberately doesn't make it easy for beginners.

Of course, not everyone wants to spend the requisite time and effort required for a full understanding (if thats even possible) of the deck.
Some people have their own ideas of what the deck is, and what it should be, and generally these ideas are much simpler for a novice to understand.

One of the most popular methods is to look at the pictures and decide for yourself what it means, but as you might appreciate, this method works for any deck, including the TdM.

Joan Bunning runs an online course at http://www.learntarot.com/ which is free, which may be what you are looking for.

There is a lot of other free information around, of varying quality, including this website.

Good luck

Berb

Hooked on TdM

Berbatov said:
Why not let him use a TdM instead?
What do you think is the main difference between the two decks?

He doesn't like the TdM's he likes his RWS. The difference, my lord. Completely different time frames, different meanings. The two are not remotely alike. Learning the TdM's is unlearning any other deck.

Berbatov said:
What exactly is it that you would like him to learn about the RWS?
The symbolism or the divinatory meanings?

Both the symbolism and divinatory. Waite is a bit beyond his grasp currently. But that link you provided is perfect! Thank you. I downloaded it for him and hopefully that will help him better than I can.

Thanks so much!

Hooked

Berbatov

Hooked on TdM said:
He doesn't like the TdM's he likes his RWS. The difference, my lord. Completely different time frames, different meanings. The two are not remotely alike. Learning the TdM's is unlearning any other deck.
Hooked
I disagree. I think there are far more similarities than differences, which is not to say there are none.

The main difference is that the RWS is an occult deck, designed by an occultist for occult ends. The lore and dogma that is part and parcel of the deck is reasonably well documented. The symbolism is taken from, but not limited to; Christian, Masonic, Rosicrucian, Martinist, Grail Romance, Qabalistic, Alchemical and Golden Dawn sources. Most of the symbolism can be traced to one or more of these sources if one is diligent enough.

The TdM on the other hand has no such contemporary documentation and people are mostly left with guesses, (some inspired, some less so) as to what any or all of the cards might mean or symbolise. Is there any evidence, for instance, to suggest that the TdM was originally used for antything other than a game?

Hooked on TdM said:
Both the symbolism and divinatory. Waite is a bit beyond his grasp currently.
Hooked
Waite is the deck, the deck is Waite... they are inseparable.
Hooked on TdM said:
But that link you provided is perfect! Thank you. I downloaded it for him and hopefully that will help him better than I can.

Thanks so much!Hooked
Yes, Joan is very easy to digest.

Out of interest, and to get back on topic; does she mention why Strength and Justice were changed?

Berb

Hooked on TdM

Giving my 13 yr. old a book by Waite is begging him to lose interest. That is not what I want. Hopefully in a few years.. but not right now.

I have no idea if she says why their placement is changed. I downloaded it, organized it and my son read the first lesson. I asked him if he can understand it, is it helpful and will he use it. He said yes. lol good enough for me.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hooked