Lo Scarabeo Tarot Wonder

gregory

***Silicon Dawn is so b**, Fey is just unappealing and the Illuminati is a 50 - 50, some cards are lovely but others are just so wrong, like half of the court cards.

No deck is perfect whoever the publisher/artist is, but the Lo Scarabeo decks seem to have so many ill thought out decks or just unappealing decks running around.

What about things like Magical Forest, China and and Quantum that they took over when they went OOP ? And Dame Fortune's Wheel ?

You are FASCINATING me, willow !

willowfox

What about things like Magical Forest, China and and Quantum that they took over when they went OOP ? And Dame Fortune's Wheel ?

You are FASCINATING me, willow !

***The Magical Forest full of spaced out looking muppets, and China with lots of Chinese people trying to act natural and not succeeding but Dame Fortune is so so but then the artist spoils some of the cards by their own unnecessary ideas.

Aerin

Well, I feel the same about most of the USG output so hey :)

Egypt Urnash

***Silicon Dawn is so b**,

…is there any particular reason you chose to censor out two thirds of what I assume is the word "bad"?

Not that I'm objecting to you disliking my deck; it's pretty much the exact opposite of the stuff you list owning in your profile, none of which I have ever been able to connect with.

Also I can attest that the Silicon Dawn was printed in China, by a printer LS has an ongoing relationship with. I'm pretty sure all their stuff is printed in China.

Melia

I'm pretty sure all their stuff is printed in China.

Really? I have several LoS decks that have "Made in Italy" printed on their boxes (surely that means the cards themselves are printed in Italy). The only Chinese printed decks I have are the Silicon Dawn and the Tarot Illuminati.

karen0205

I wonder if sometimes LS prints in China when they are too busy with printing in Italy and need the deck to go out. They are a huge company, printing books and comics so they might just print in China on the occasion when they can't get it done in Italy on time.

I have noticed a difference but nothing that would stop me from buying either deck. My personal preference is the Italian printing but if all that was available was the China printing, I would buy the deck. It's not bad printing, just different in my limited experience. Some of the MRP decks were printed in China and they are really nice so I don't think China has bad printing overall. I'm sure there are exceptions but I wouldn't miss out on a deck based on where it was printed. I haven't seen printing location increase value in out-of-print decks so it must be more of a personal issue. I knew one tarot reader who would pick up any deck, literally any deck and read with it. She didn't care what the artwork was or color or size. Some people are just more particular and notice, others don't. I gave her the MerryDay deck and she opened the box and started reading with it. No trying to decipher the meanings. It was funny, she would get to a card and say "Oh, that's a nice card" and move on. It was kind of comical when I think of how much I try to learn a deck. lol

Penthasilia

And- on the flip side- I am now driving myself crazy (not a drive, but a short putt ;) ) trying to find a China print edition of one of the decks from US Games.

I really think it is printer dependent, but will have to say that every deck I have had printed by USG in China is superior to the Italian printings. So I wouldn't necessarily have an overarching view of "printed in China" = low quality.

Lo Scarabeo- I have had both prints from Italy and China. In all honesty, when it comes to being able to place a bet that the card stock will be lovely- they really are fantastic. Best big tarot company for quality. (Which excludes all the self-published people, because there are just way to many fantastic ones to list.)

Sibylline

In all honesty, when it comes to being able to place a bet that the card stock will be lovely- they really are fantastic. Best big tarot company for quality. (Which excludes all the self-published people, because there are just way to many fantastic ones to list.)

I'm with Penthasilia on LoS quality.

I personally think LoS adds some sort of secret sauce into their card stock that makes their decks a pleasure to shuffle with my tiny girl-hands. I think that's why I own so many of them. :laugh:

In recent times, they have done a truly remarkable job with their newer decks by revising some of their standard design practices, thereby, making me excited to check them out. For example, they've put out fabulous borderless/nearly borderless decks that really do highlight artists' work. That Golden Visconti the OP is checking out is quite nice as well.

The only tiny gripe I have is that I wish the card backs were consistently interesting. The Fairy Lights card backs knocked my socks off, but The Secret Tarot and Minchiate just have a pale image of one of the cards in the deck...not that nice.

Granted, they're not for everyone. Personally, I've been getting excellent readings on the "spaced-out muppet deck." Hands-down, BEST description I've heard of that deck, Willowfox--I nearly snarfed my Dr. Pepper when I read your post. :D