RWS 1971 - To Bid or Not to Bid?

Bhavana

That's still more than I think the deck is worth, even unopened in original box. But now you know how to win the next one...$37.00 using a sniping program.

hey wait just one minute - I have heard of sniping - but are there really actual PROGRAMS to help you do it???? No wonder I always lose when it comes down to those "fighting for it up to the last minute" auctions. The only time I win is when no one else is really bidding.

Richard

Yineth and bogiesan, just don't get too aggressive with the eraser, and if there is any sort of coating or lamination, it won't work.

Yineth

That's still more than I think the deck is worth, even unopened in original box. But now you know how to win the next one...$37.00 using a sniping program.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA. Let's not be spreading that kind of info around here (even if there might be people who know about it already)...

...Is that program even allowed legally? .__.

Yineth and bogiesan, just don't get too aggressive with the eraser, and if there is any sort of coating or lamination, it won't work.

Lol, I wasn't gonna rub the heck out of my cruddy RWS copy or anything >.> [But the thought was very tempting.]

Richard

.......Lol, I wasn't gonna rub the heck out of my cruddy RWS copy or anything >.> [But the thought was very tempting.]
LOL! I quite understand. }) However, have some consideration for the poor eraser. I'm thinking about taking a match to mine, but maybe I should just give it to some poor soul and let them worry about it.

ETA. Probably burning a plasticized deck would give off noxious fumes and damage the environment, and if one just throws them in the trash, they might never biodegrade. Maybe they can be recycled somehow.

Bhavana

LOL! I quite understand. }) However, have some consideration for the poor eraser. I'm thinking about taking a match to mine, but maybe I should just give it to some poor soul and let them worry about it.

ETA. Probably burning a plasticized deck would give off noxious fumes and damage the environment, and if one just throws them in the trash, they might never biodegrade. Maybe they can be recycled somehow.

This was just talked about somewhere else, not sure if it was here at AT or on some blog - but yes, after a nuclear holocaust, the only things left on the planet will be cockroaches, pigeons, and USGames Italian printed tarot decks.

AJ

there are a lot of bid sniping programs available, most will let you try it for free for an auction or two. and they are legal. Some people think they aren't fair, others think it's the only fair way. :)

Google is your friend.
You have to give them your username and password...

Back to thread: I'm sorry you lost out! But it was pretty much written in stone that you would once you posted the listing here. Next time keep mum :) Or just wait and they will put it in trading in a bit and you can pick it up for the 15-20.00 it might be worth~

nemodomi

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the whole concept of sniping to be just a tad ... well, to be kind ... "lacking in substance"?!

"Last minute bidding" as a way to win at eBay is a fallacy. The winner of every auction is always the person who is willing to bid the most. Decide what you're willing to pay, bid that amount (maybe some folks don't realize that eBay automates the bidding process for you?!), and be done with it. The only alternative is getting wrapped up in the faux "excitement" and bidding MORE than one really wants to spend (greed factor), and then kicking oneself for having done so (buyer's remorse).

bogiesan

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the whole concept of sniping to be just a tad ... well, to be kind ... "lacking in substance"?!

"Last minute bidding" as a way to win at eBay is a fallacy. The winner of every auction is always the person who is willing to bid the most. Decide what you're willing to pay, bid that amount (maybe some folks don't realize that eBay automates the bidding process for you?!), and be done with it. The only alternative is getting wrapped up in the faux "excitement" and bidding MORE than one really wants to spend (greed factor), and then kicking oneself for having done so (buyer's remorse).

Depends upon one's desire to possess an object. Using eBay's program to lock in a maximum of $35.00 is a good strategy if $34.00 is all you think the object is worth to you. But if someone gets it for $36.00 and you realize it would have been worth $37.00 to you, the tactical advantage of a sniping program starts to look good.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Let's please stay on topic. This thread is not about sniping.

Yineth

This might be more of a general question in regards to lamination, but when the seller says, "It's like a normal deck of cards" do they mean a light lamination?

I'm asking, because the RWS deck I'm eyeing has the copyrights on them... But I don't know if the deadly eraser will be able to handle them with even the tiniest bit of lamination : /

[Deck in question is possibly just a reprint of the 1971.]