Tarot Shadow Work- Which deck are you using?

autumnsdaughter

I am curious about the decks that you are using... I imagine there will be lots of BG's in the mix, as it seems to be an ideal one for shadow work... I do not have one yet, and probably won't for a little while, so I think I am going to be using my Llewellyn.

I think the Llewellyn will be a good choice because the images seem so indistinct, like they are out of a dream. Also the Welsh mythology really resonates for me.

I've decided, despite that article, that I am going to just use the majors. I might do a subsequent spread with the entire deck, but for now, the majors seem like the right thing to use.

flicker

I am trying to move outside my comfort zone of mystic faeries, universal goddess Ls and gentler themes and so I want to use something darker in colours and theme. to deal with something head on.

my choices are
Osho Zen
vampire tarot n hertz
Witches tarot (borderless)
Dali

a BG eventually if time & cash permits

Jewel

autumnsdaughter said:
I am curious about the decks that you are using... I imagine there will be lots of BG's in the mix, as it seems to be an ideal one for shadow work...
Actually the main reason this deck will probably be used a lot is because it is quite new and many of us are dying to take it out for a spin ... that is my excuse *LOL*, yes that is the deck I will be using.

Having done some of this work 6 years ago, I would highly recommend selecting a deck you connect with. Working with the shadow is challenging enough on its own, so working with a deck that you are connected to is very helpful. Just my opinion ...

In my experience Faeries are not a gentle theme, and Goddesses can pack a punch. Shadow work does not call for a dark deck.

flicker

sorry i should have explained further the fairy decks I have are lighter in my eyes but I hadnt thought of faeries being something that isnt of a lighter nature. Yet I havent looked at all faery decks. that is interesting in its self.
I am still trying to locate the book as all I can find is the book on import for 8-14 days. (located the book should be here soon)
I will consider trying a deck I am comfortable with in doing shadow work but I do feel I would like to own a different deck to challenge myself.Perhaps as you say this is unecessary for shadow work. I may in that case be able to use it in another way with less depth. as an Empathic medium it may not be the best thing to try. ty Jewel.

Master_Margarita

I did my Stars of Discovery using the RWS, and the xeroxes of the spreads that I put in my journal reflect that. I no longer own an RWS and have no intention of getting another one.

I am laying out some of the spreads again using the BG to go into them with more depth (I typed "death" first), but I might try the VR also just because I find that deck quite talkative.

:heart: M_M~

inanna_tarot

Having had a night in with my various decks I decided to go with the Tarot of the Sidhe, even though the druidcraft is my all time love and even the Sol Invictus God Tarot was asking me to give it a whirl with it - but i decided the Tarot of the Sidhe.
The Sidhe know all about the realms of shadow as well as light, and with them I can really make the process a magical one, rather than one of just 'thinking' about myself which I think I would have done with the Sol Invictus, or just done lots of funky rituals with the Gods and still not got to the truth of the matters IMO.
And the druidcraft is my every day deck, my old faithful that i just would like a break from for this process. The Sidhe is still new and special, in a pretty golden box and whispering its delights.

And with it being a majors only at the mo, I dont have to make decisions on whether to add the minors or not - another distraction for my process I think.

However I will maybe do some comparitive work between the 3, but the Sidhe is what will be on my altar and do the actual spreads and meditation with.

huredriel

I've just laid out my Star of Discovery with the Silver Bohemian Gothic, it seems to lend itself very nicely given that it loves shadows LOL. I would have used my Old Path since that is my trusty saviour & first ever deck, but I thought it better to use one that I've not worked with before :)

flicker

huredriel
Innana_tarot

Looking at both decks I feel my BG will be the deck that I work with. I found the Sidhe and see the point made about fey not being just light nut also dark or a balance of the two. thanks for pointing it out to me.

autumnsdaughter

Well, I changed my mind (Libra here) and used the DruidCraft. Very powerful for me. It really resonates- the colors just suck me in.

aceofhearts

I was using The Bohemian Gothic. I spooked myself last night but will try to perservere as I know its deep rooted issues that have to surface in order to do this.
If The Gothic spooks me too much I will switch to something else.