Repairing a Damaged Card

Zen Mamma

I recently acquired a used deck that has some damage on a portion of one of the cards. There's a series of 5 small holes within a one inch space-the type of hole that a thumbtack would make. Because of the design it's only really noticeable from the back. It's pretty obvious that the holes will only get bigger and I'm afraid the paper will begin to pull away with regular use. It's a beautiful deck with a great vibe-and I can't afford to buy this particular deck new anyway. Has anyone ever used Modge Podge or something like it on a similarly damaged portion of a card with any luck?

Cenozoic

Well you can try that, but if you're not careful it might cause warping on the card.

I would try to put a plastic covering below it (like on top of a ziploc sandwich bag), before putting any sticky liquid like substance on top of it. If you put work on top of newspapers it'll just be a mess, or turn out to be some kind of paper mache.

A very similar and faster drying product I've noticed, would be a clear acrylic polymer. You could get a glossy gel medium, or an acrylic varnish. They'll have a faster drying time, since a thin coat just takes a minute or less to dry. Just brush it on with a paint brush (use a synthetic plastic bristled one, because for this kind of work, it would be better than the softer and more sensitive ones made out of hair).

There will be a tiny bit of stickiness/tackiness on it left over, since acrylic is like a liquid plastic, but then let it dry within a plastic covering, like in a sandwich bag, so it won't tack onto something else, and store it in a cool place till the tackiness is gone. Or you could try brushing a tiny bit of powder, like baby powder, to get rid of the tackiness.

I hope this helps you. I personally have only tried this for index cards and glossy printing paper, and the only problem I've noticed is that sometimes it will smear ink, but I've only tested it with pens so be careful with that. I don't think it will smear printed inks though, since you can do gel transfers with gel medium just fine. And good luck :)

Zen Mamma

I was worried that the M.P. might warp. I use a clear acrylic in spray form to finish my collage work. The gel form w/plastic underneath makes more sense because I don't want to clear coat the whole card if I don't have to. I seriously thought about grabbing my clear nail polish-lol!

Thanks so much for your response!

AJ

if it is still in print ask the publisher if you can buy a replacement card. They usually mail them free, but it doesn't hurt to be polite...

We also have a lost card thread, if it is an out of print deck you could ask there.

Zen Mamma

The deck is out of print but I will try the lost card thread-Thanks!