how to find people to read for

Pauline Kilar

Hi all! I've recently gotten back into tarot after a several years hiatus. I've really thrown myself into both study and buying decks, and I feel like I have a pretty good intellectual grasp on what the cards mean.

Anyway, I was at my friendly neighborhood occult bookstore on Saturday to see if they had any decks I was interested in. The store is near a college campus and there were a lot of new students checking the place out.

Two young women asked the clerk if there was anybody there to do tarot readings. The store's regular tarot reader was out, but the clerk looked at me with my to-be-purchased deck in hand, and somehow encouraged me to read for these young ladies. So we rang up my new deck and I got settled at the table.

I explained to the young women that I was not experienced at reading for others, and that this was just for fun, and I would not charge them.

I did a five-card spread for each woman, and basically just told them aloud what I saw in the cards in relation to their questions.

It was exhilarating! I feel like I understand tarot so much better, and I feel like in the case of the first student I was able to really clarify her situation. The 2nd student had some negative-looking cards (she even said, "this looks scary"), but I hope I was available to put a positive spin on her reading and encourage her to focus on her strengths.

At the end of it, they each tipped me a couple bucks.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the experience and I would love to do regular readings for other people face-to-face.

How do you find people to read for? I'd rather read for strangers than people close to me, and I'd like to do readings in person.

Water Lady

why not check back at the store, maybe they need someone for additional time periods.

celticnoodle

First of all, as Water Lady mentioned, you should check at that store again to see if they are interested in employing you to read there. You can find out how much the store charges people for readings. Generally, a store provides a place for you to read, and they also advertise you being there and you get a larger part of the money the tarot reading customer pays.

When I read at a store a few years back, I made $22 for a 30 minute reading, I think it was. I forget exactly how much now. The store pocketed $8.00 then, because the tarot customer payed $30.00 for a 30 minute reading. Sometimes I was also tipped, but htis was not necessary.

I would also get some business cards made up. You can have this done at a very reasonable price. Many places will do give you 500 business cards for only $10.00 or less. So, its not at all expensive! Ask the new age store owner if you can leave some of your cards there for readings, whether or not you become employed there.

Then, also, be sure to carry some in your wallet and in your car. Whenever you enter a store that has a bulletin board for you to post your card too--perhaps putting 5 or so on the board under a tack will also bring in some business.

All these ways are free ways to advertise yourself. If there is a college nearby--do make sure you put some of your business cards there on bulletin boards. Generally these boards are in a public area of the school.

Then, also, when you do a reading, be sure to give your customer your card as well as an extra one to pass along to a friend. It often pays off doing this!

Good Luck! :)

greatdane

CelticNoodle and Water Lady make good points

What CelticNoodle mentioned about cards. I have just PLAIN, but very nice quality "calling cards". Only my name is on them. This allows me to use them for anything. If you need to give someone your info, you can choose what to write or share on the back. IF it is someone looking for a reader, they will know without it saying reader on the front and for those I don't particularly wish to share that, well, these cards just have my name :). In a small conservative town, that can come in handy. I neither hide nor advertise. Those I know well, know I read, those I don't, well, none of their business. :) GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

MistressMorrigan

I definitely agree with going back to the store. But if they're not hiring, then the business cards would be the best way to go. You can get a bunch at Vista Print for really cheap, and they look really nice. Then, just try passing them out at the college, and see how that works.

And I'm with you... I MUCH prefer reading for strangers than for people I know.

nisaba

And the shop would probably keep a few on the counter. I have a number of cafes carry my cards where their customers can pick them up, as well as a few other businesses where I sometimes go. :)

celticnoodle

Yes, exactly as nisaba says. The store that I read at had a table set up with various business cards for all kinds of readers. Heck, even as a reader there, I'd check out that table to find someone to read for me. :D

Also, coffee and tea shops sometimes will allow you to leave your business cards there as well. Other small sandwich shops too--and our Post Office has a huge bulletin board where you are allowed to leave notices and business cards advertising your business. Check out for all these things, leave a few and check back often to replenish.

Juriana

I didn't read the message fully up top, but try registering on Keen.com Bitwine.com and click4advisor.com

Goodluck on your tarot reading business.

Just read the face to face need, well put an add in the yellow pages, craigslist, I found my lady on there a 70 yr old woman who blew my mind and introduced me to the wonderful world of tarot. Though if you want to read for higher profits than online readings will also be great.

Pauline Kilar

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, everyone. It means a lot.

To start with, I'd like to read for free, as I just don't feel I'm experienced enough to charge.

Leaving cards is a good idea; I might also do a Craigslist ad.

Does anyone have experience using a coffee shop as on "office space"? I'm thinking of specifying that the querent would have to buy an item from the café for him/herself so that we're not freeloading on the space.

magpie9

Often a local coffee shop or restaurant is happy to have a reader fr a few hours a week. Check it out. Often they don't even want a cut.