People scared of tarot.

gregory

I don't think anyone wants to try to change other people. I think they just need to be able to vent about it and discuss it because, especially for new people, they get upset by the reactions of people who think it's evil and sharing the experience makes it feel a little less stressful.
Oh sure - but there are a load of threads: "what can I do to help them enjoy tarot as I do", "what can I do to persuade them to have a reading" "... to help them get over it" etc - and there is no reason others should enjoy everything we enjoy ! The world thrives on variety, no ?"

ravenest

If the Catholic Bible and associated teachings are to be believed, Jesus is esoteric and paranormal.

:) To us they are. But after the Church introduced dualism (when we do it) it is either 'of the mind' or imagined or through the work of 'evil' ... when it has become legitimised by religion it is a 'miracle' .... totally different things ;)

Water Lady

The people I know who fear it are in 2 schools, and I speak gently of it as I love these people.
first, the church they choose to go to teaches fear straight from the bible. now I won't argue that, people see what they see and can not break free of it, well some can't.

others I believe fear what the cards might tell them and they don't want to hear because then they have to do something. of course when we sit and think we do know but maybe not what to do, so to have another tell you something that you will now have to act on because it is now real...well that is really scary.

BrownBear

With a real seizure, the person always loses control of their bladder during it

I just have to correct this little piece of medical info. I don't know that doctor or his training, but my ex-husband has had more than 100 epileptic seizures, starting around age 7, and never once did he lose control of his bladder. We're talking over 100 gran mal.

Great story, but I just wanted to point that out.

And totally off-topic, but I knew there was a reason I liked you. Signed, a friend of Lois.

Splenda

water lady you are righton!

I' ve often pondered why certain friends of mine are scared sh*tless by the tarot, and I think you have nailed it! I never force a reading if someone doesn't want it, but I will gradually introduce them to the concepts and use as much humor as I can muster to keep them from shutting down on me. One woman who is very Chrisitian would not hear of my tarot reading, until I did a slightly off-kilter reading on myself (something about "coming out of my cave") and she laughed! I guess I struck a nerve.

Water Lady

I' ve often pondered why certain friends of mine are scared sh*tless by the tarot, and I think you have nailed it! I never force a reading if someone doesn't want it, but I will gradually introduce them to the concepts and use as much humor as I can muster to keep them from shutting down on me. One woman who is very Chrisitian would not hear of my tarot reading, until I did a slightly off-kilter reading on myself (something about "coming out of my cave") and she laughed! I guess I struck a nerve.

It is always nice when something you know helps someone else.

dee89

Being a Registered Nurse (almost), I can say I've definitely witnessed seizures where patients haven't lost control of their bladders.

In response to the original post, being new to tarot, I can provide a little bit of perspective on the fear associated with it. I definitely think fear has been holding me back in terms of engaging with spirituality, intuition and divination, including tarot.

I'm not religious, but I do believe in spirits and divinity, and the power of intuition..
In that way, I have been scared to engage, simply in case I receive or feel negativity. Even the prospect of receiving realistic and relevant energies and readings scares me to some extent, because to me, it's something I would feel was "real" and hard to ignore..it would be hard for me to deny any messages I felt I was strongly receiving..I feel like by engaging, you are allowing more energy and intuition to come towards you..both positive and negative... and the negative part has made me somewhat hesitant in the past. To the point where I wasn't really willing to engage in case something "bad" happened...

I know now though, that there are ways to promote positivity (somewhat exclusively), and that makes me feel a whole lot better about everything...

Not sure if that helped or was answering your original question but that's been my experience! I'd be interested to know how others perceive and promote positivity with Tarot, and spirituality and intuition in general

Grizabella

Oh sure - but there are a load of threads: "what can I do to help them enjoy tarot as I do", "what can I do to persuade them to have a reading" "... to help them get over it" etc - and there is no reason others should enjoy everything we enjoy ! The world thrives on variety, no ?"

You're very right....and about the variety, too. I wasn't really disagreeing, but was thinking about different people than the ones that ask how they can help people to accept it. I was just thinking about the people who get confronted out in real life, you know? And then come here to mention it because it's very confusing or intimidating.

I just have to correct this little piece of medical info. I don't know that doctor or his training, but my ex-husband has had more than 100 epileptic seizures, starting around age 7, and never once did he lose control of his bladder. We're talking over 100 gran mal.

Great story, but I just wanted to point that out.

And totally off-topic, but I knew there was a reason I liked you. Signed, a friend of Lois.

Well, actually, I've been a friend of Bill's since 1982 but only have continuous sobriety since 1985. You're one of the friends of Lois that I got disgusted with in early sobriety because some lady who was a friend of Lois said us friends of Bill got to have the SOS club and they didn't get anything of theirs for games and stuff. Newly sober me said to my sponsor on the way home..."criminy! We're the ones with the problem! what do they need that for?" and I never went back to their meetings again. Resentment is the big killer ya know. So then my sponsor tactfully suggested :rolleyes: that I take in 90 meetings of theirs in 90 days when I was finished with my 90 in 90 for my problem.

I humbly apologize, dear friend of Lois. I later came to admit that I was a sicker friend of Lois than i even was of Bill's.

Water Lady

Being afraid of life, decisions when I could see no options, and then the results when I took no action or made the wrong decision....years of doing it wrong and not listening to that inner voice that says do it the other way.....has left me making some huge mistakes in life

I am not afraid of hearing the truth that tarot etc. bring me.
I am afraid of making any more mistakes.

Tarot, etc. helps me see the truth of what I need to do and gives me the strength to do it.

Also, I don't see the cards as negative, only warnings of what people are already doing that might not be the best thing for their highest and best life.