Storing decks in bags

jolie_amethyst

Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on storing decks together vs. storing them alone as well.

Can't see that there's an issue with having all or most in one place for storage...it's not like they're going to argue or contaminate one another somehow. If they were, some of the folks here with very large collections might be in trouble! :joke:

For my own storage setup, decks I'm currently using most often are snugly bagged and stored together in a leather basket for convenience. That's stored on the same small shelf where I store all the Tarot books, so it's easy to reach. The rest of the cards are in a small drawer underneath that shelf. Depending on where you live, many craft & home decor stores have pretty "treasure chest" type boxes in various sizes at decent prices that work nicely for storing multiple decks. Other people have found that secondhand shops (also known as charity or thrift shops) can be great sources of wood or metal boxes. Vintage luggage (especially smaller pieces like train cases or hat boxes) might also be a good option.

Personally, I just repurposed what I already had: cleared a shelf & emptied a drawer (both already in my bedroom) for them, and dug out a basket from my stash that was the right size...it holds around 8 decks. Nothing mystical or fancy about any of it...I just take the same reasonable care in storing them as I would for any other good working tools.

I do try to match bag fabrics to the right decks though. :)

herself

I always just keep my favourites in bags (no boxes) and the rest that I don't use as much in boxes (no bags). But I inherited a stack of decks from an ex-ATer and she kept her decks all in boxes, in bags (with labels, Gregory! :)). I don't have many that have warped, but a few have (a large Thoth in a tight- fitting bag comes to mind). Just wondered if there was a bag "best practice" I hadn't heard about ;)

And Sulis didn't say it, but I will: her bags are the best!

Inchantress

LOLing at the idea of large collections arguing with eachother, Jolie. That could definitely be a disaster. Just like the idea of all those wooden tarot boxes more than anything - but they're just too impractical. Definitely going to check out some of your ideas - thanks for all the good ones. Funny enough I've considered the suitcase idea all on my own just to have all that room lol. I fear I may outgrow a reasonable sized chest by the time I find it, lol. Definitely will have to check out thrift stores, love the hat box idea too!

I also try to match the decks to the bags lol

BeyondtheVeil

I keep my tarot decks in both boxes and tarot bags

Yes and No here also. :D

I have most of my frequently used decks in the tarot bags with a few crystals in them. My extra, "out of print" decks are in their original boxes, some still sealed. I have some decks in their original boxes {if they're not the weird extra large white boxes that come in the Witches Tarot and other decks}. Those go straight to a tarot bag. I only use knitted/crochet bags or handmade double thick bags.

For the deck I carry in my car compartment, I use a small make up zip case as it is sturdier and keeps the cards from being damaged by being in the car, getting things piled on them, or in my purse.

I am currently in the south and haven't had issues with 'curved" decks. The one I had was from sitting funny in storage, but placing a heavy book on it for a day or two put it back in place.

You should do what you want. I like the wood box idea also, but haven't found any local that would fit my cards. I also like to keep any large companion books with their deck.

Brightest Blessings! :heart:
BeyondtheVeil

SunChariot

This may seem like an odd little question, but those of you who store your decks in bags, do you keep them in their boxes, in the bags? Or just straight cards in the bag?

The box in bag option seems like overkill, I know, but over the past few years I've had several decks get a little curve to them when I keep them sans- box, whereas decks that have been stored in the box all stay nice and straight.

I don't think it's a moisture (or environmental) problem as not all of my bagged decks curve... just wondering :D

No boxes, just bags. Yes sometimes they do curl a bit. I've gotten used to it. It's not the end of the world although I would prefer they don't.

IF I kept them in boxes, I would not see any need to use the bags. But I find boxes also give them a little wear and tear around the edges, depending on how tight the fit it.

Babs

nisaba

This may seem like an odd little question, but those of you who store your decks in bags, do you keep them in their boxes, in the bags? Or just straight cards in the bag?

Both. And in the case of a larger bag, I wrap the bag around itself and tie it with the drawstrings.

Rosewater

I usually make cloth bags to fit each deck snugly, but if the deck comes in a good and sturdy box, (For eg, the ones Hay House package their oracle decks in) I keep it in that.

emmsma

I was never able to keep up, getting or making a bag for every deck. So I have some just in their boxes, others boxed in bags and then some more that are deck alone in bags.

Decks that come in a tuck box, for the most part stay in them. I only pitch a box if it is well worn or otherwise damaged.

I like the idea of wooden boxes but they aren't practical in my situation. A wooden box would take up lots of extra space and then I'd still need a bag for taking the deck out of the house.

Nemia

I try to gauge what the deck would prefer ;-)

If the box is lovely (Housewives, Wild Unknown, Golden...), I guess the deck would prefer to live in it, and that's great. If the box is just a simple box around the deck, I replace it with a nice embroidery or crochet bag, but I keep the boxes.

Trimmed decks anyway don't fit into their boxes any more. I use the boxes sometimes to make glass bubble pendants.

Usually, I keep the LWBs with the decks I don't know so well, but as soon as I feel I don't need them anymore, I transfer the LWB to a nice little bag for the LWBs, extra cards and other additional items.

It's important to have the deck in easy reach. I keep all my decks together in big nice boxes together with incense so they have a nice smell. They're next to my tarot books, my spread sheets and spread cloth, all in easy reach of my comfy chair.