Sitters that take readings too personally?

Kosjitov

I have been normal enough to have given a bad reading or two. Is it purposeful? No. Did one or two of them likely take it in an outlandishly negative way and in some cases start becoming rude or avoiding me? Yes. Have I sat down and tried to learn from the experience? Yes. I try to see if maybe I could have been more tactful. If I really find that it wasn't HOW I said it, but WHAT I said then the feedback gets ignored. Remember-- not all feedback is GOOD or VALID feedback. If people opt to avoid you were they really worth keeping around? You're being spared further bull shenanigans and drama. Double whammy if they're also readers on a learning site and act this way. They should know that there's a level of impartiality that tends to be kept and patience that needs to be had. I have been VERY FORTUNATE that the people who got a less than satisfactory reading here usually expressed to me why they disagreed and even tried to help me see another aspect of the cards. Rudeness doesn't need to be had but sometimes we have to deal with the fact that people get inflamed when we say something completely unexpected or counter to their intuition.

donnalee

Yup to this.

Well clearly it's hard to comment on any reading that we weren't there for, but I do think there are some points to consider.

One of them is that it's very hard to be responsible for the reactions of others, and people come to readings in all sorts of strange mental and emotional states, with all kinds of weird and wonderful expectations. People aren't taught how to be the subject of a tarot reading, and we have to be mindful that they often won't know how to respond to what they're told.

But in defense of the client, the reader has to behave responsibly anyhow. I see this is a counselling position, and it's worth considering that every other kind of people who delivers advice or talk therapy in our society is required to receive some training in how to speak responsibly with the people they consult to. Tarot readers, on the other hand, often come with little more than a sense of their own power and a conviction that they are 'right' in everything they say to a querent.

I wish I had a dollar for every reader I've worked alongside who arrogantly used the cards and the environment to make the poor (paying) client a captive audience to their own sense of what is correct and what is proper. The readings are so often filtered through the reader's own value system.

So often we're not just irresponsibly pushing unqualified advice about sensitive areas to vulnerable and impressionable people - often we're pushing our own morals and opinions onto clients as well. And yes, they have every right to get offended.

I'm currently working in a new age shop with three other readers, and one of them generates incredible amounts of negative feedback from distressed customers - the counter staff get to hear all about this reader who tells people what they ought to be doing with their relationships, their lives, etc and passes judgement on all of them. This reader will tell you she has a gift and is helping people. From where I sit, I see her upsetting and angering a lot of people who have no intention of using her "help" no matter how valuable it might be.

And it's not just readers who have built-in values to filter everything through. So do the cards. Each card stores an idea that represents the creator's philosophy. I started learning the RWS and Thoth, and while I was impressed at the profundity of the systems, I found the writings of crowley, Waite and Paul Foster Case to be pompous and offensive - assuming lot's of value judgements that I found offensive as a 15-year old and reject even more vehemently now.

The cards, having a set of philosophies, marginalise and pass judgements. I used to be uncomfortable with this, but didn't question what I assumed was the authority of ancient wisdom. I now regard a lot of it as archaic medieval bollocks that is both irrelevant and unfortunate, and believe that Tarot doesn't have to be that way.

Someone made a comment somewhere in this thread that readers can be wrong but the cards never are. I find that offensive - it's an opinion offered as though it were a fact, and that's one of the things that really pushes my buttons. For the record, the ideas offered on the cards are just that - ideas... often primitive ones, and ones that vary wildly from deck to deck. I find no evidence to support the idea that ideas painted on cards are never ever wrong. I find no reason not to be a little more humble when using these things with people.

When you consider that the cards have embedded value judgments and assume authority.... and then know that readers also have embedded value judgments and assume authority... it's easy to see that the reading environment is potentially a minefield of unqualified people passing judgment with hubris that potentially has massive consequences and causes incredible offense to the person unfortunate enough to have stumbled into the wrong reading room.

I'm not suggesting we regulate this stuff, but I'd be careful before claiming in any reading that a sitter (hate that term) takes a reading "too personally" (whatever *that* means), and urge everyone lucky enough to be dispensing counsel in a field that requires no license or proof to demonstrate some empathy with their querents and take some ownership if it's possible that we have caused offense.

I'm sure I've offended more than a few readers here with this post and for that I apologise

donnalee

I find that when someone says here that they don't think a reading detail in a reading of mine applies to their situation, that they don't understand it the way I intended, so I presume that I was mistaken in language and I say what I can to clarify the details, bearing in mind that some people speak English as a 2/3/4th+ language, or they may not have the same educational or cultural background as I do. I even find that generations can make a difference, and that if a person is closer in age to me there may be references that they will understand that would pass right over the head of someone much younger or much older etc. My point is that it is up to me as the reader to be sensitive to this, and not to think "too bad for them!" if they don't understand my point the first time around--not to imply anyone is saying that. In the few cases that people have said they don't see how what I said pertains, they have pretty much agreed with it (maybe one or so exceptions)after I clarified what I had intended to say but somehow used the wrong words or tone etc. for originally--just like real life, communication can be hard!

ravynangel

I find that when someone says here that they don't think a reading detail in a reading of mine applies to their situation, that they don't understand it the way I intended, so I presume that I was mistaken in language and I say what I can to clarify the details, bearing in mind that some people speak English as a 2/3/4th+ language, or they may not have the same educational or cultural background as I do. I even find that generations can make a difference, and that if a person is closer in age to me there may be references that they will understand that would pass right over the head of someone much younger or much older etc. My point is that it is up to me as the reader to be sensitive to this, and not to think "too bad for them!" if they don't understand my point the first time around--not to imply anyone is saying that. In the few cases that people have said they don't see how what I said pertains, they have pretty much agreed with it (maybe one or so exceptions)after I clarified what I had intended to say but somehow used the wrong words or tone etc. for originally--just like real life, communication can be hard!

deleted :)

aliceinwonderland

hey LaRazia, I see why you disappear from the one card game (with sadness)

is just a game, and I take everybody's view with a pinch of salt! we can't live life through cards, good or bad!

So I hope you come back because most of us enjoy your input.

Alicia :heart:

Laurelle

You have called several people "immature." No one wants to hear that they are immature because, frankly, no one believes that they are. Sometimes words are used as swords and hurt people. You need to find a way to say things to people that doesn't hurt them. You claim that you aren't hurt by people who are blunt, but you are because you are on this thread complaining that people are bothered by your readings.

Perhaps there is an eloquent way to suggest something to someone. So a person is not immature just because they don't like you. There feelings are real to them and need to be aknowledged. Just like your feelings are real to you and you want to be heard.

By telling that person, "You don't see a haunting." You are dismissing her experience, but her experience is real to her. You are basically telling her, "I don't believe you." Okay, so the cards don't pick up on the haunting, but did you feel that this woman was lying about her feelings about being haunted? This woman sounded like she just wanted someone to listen to her. Her story was very, very real to her.

Maybe you could meditate on the Empress for a while. She's loving, compassionate and doesn't like to hurt anyone or anything (that's her husband, the emperor's job). Try staying away from the Queen of Swords.

Tarotphelia

Sometimes words are used as swords and hurt people. You need to find a way to say things to people that doesn't hurt them. You claim that you aren't hurt by people who are blunt, but you are because you are on this thread complaining that people are bothered by your readings.

So a person is not immature just because they don't like you.

By telling that person, "You don't see a haunting." You are dismissing her experience,

Maybe you could meditate on the Empress for a while. She's loving, compassionate and doesn't like to hurt anyone or anything (that's her husband, the emperor's job). Try staying away from the Queen of Swords.

I tend to think most of that almost proves the point of the original post . Lots of assumptions and accusations there, which I will not bother with .

The part about not telling the woman that her haunting was not confirmed by the cards would be very dishonest in my opinion . And might ultimately prevent the resolution of the situation .

Obviously there are good and bad ways to put things and a tactful reader will try their best not to do harm . I have a list of general information about readings that I typed up that I will give to someone who is paying me for a reading . I want them to read it and understand it ahead of time . But there is no guarantee they will , or that the understanding will penetrate their own mental borders . Women especially have a hard time getting people to take what they say seriously and a lot of people are in automatic dismissal mode .

Laurelle

I tend to think most of that almost proves the point of the original post . Lots of assumptions and accusations there, which I will not bother with .

The part about not telling the woman that her haunting was not confirmed by the cards would be very dishonest in my opinion . And might ultimately prevent the resolution of the situation .

whoa! I never said that she should not be honest with the person. I said she was dismissing her feelings and that perhaps there was a better way of saying what she needed to say. Obviously the person's experience was real to them and there was a less blunt ways of saying things. You are now assuming that I am a dishonest person, which I am not! That's not fair. The poster asked for advice and said she didn't mind bluntness.

And you called me out on something, but you're "not going to bother with it." That's basically the same thing. You're accusing me of assuming things, while you are doing the exact same thing.

Sheesh.

danieljuk

it's interesting to observe the tone and style of people you know in real life on their internet and social network postings. you know the people well and yet in text they come across differently often! It's an unconscious thing mostly but when we are not face to face we can come across differently and sometimes we write things that can be taken wrongly! The internet is full of misunderstandings because it's so easy to do it and you are not seeing the person as they write it! Then add people from many different cultures and countries and also tarot! People react to cards and readings in so many different ways, people might really want to hear a positive message or a card has a very personal meaning to them.

Even the way we type could cause misunderstandings! I remember when Griz got a tablet she typed out a long post in a thread and then apologised that she was a big standoffish because she was typing fast on a screen and shortening sentences! I have quickly responded to a thread on a touch screen and then thought, wow I look so angry there! There is a million ways that someone could get the wrong end of the stick.

It happens, there is misunderstandings and some people don't like the tarot message you give them! If you have fallen out with someone La Raz, put them on ignore and they can do the same to you!

Tarotphelia

whoa! I never said that she should not be honest with the person. I said she was dismissing her feelings and that perhaps there was a better way of saying what she needed to say. Obviously the person's experience was real to them and there was a less blunt ways of saying things. You are now assuming that I am a dishonest person, which I am not! That's not fair. The poster asked for advice and said she didn't mind bluntness.

And you called me out on something, but you're "not going to bother with it." That's basically the same thing. You're accusing me of assuming things, while you are doing the exact same thing.

Sheesh.

We don't know how anything was said , since neither of us were there . I gave my opinion on the situation of confirming or not confirming a haunting to the best of one's ability .