Google hangout for reading / learning?

starburst_au

Hey all,

After chatting with a friend on skype last night..
It got me thinking...

I was wondering if the forum would support
The use of google hangouts to practice face to face readings and possibly
Learning?

Nothing too full on - it could be 2 people exchanging and the others could be watching / learning at the same time? And the 'reader' and sitter could practice 'real time' stuff...

As for 'learning' topics I'm sure a lot of people would benefit from other people's wisdom, experience and advice given... I mean this already happens on the forum now which is great! But it would be an awesome addition to have the opportunity to view / hear this infomstion...

I'm suggesting google as they are a third party that is free... And there is also the option for the room to be moderated and I'm pretty sure there is a limit on the amount of people on cams per google hang out.. Maybe like 8 - 10 people?

Anyways, I'd love some feedback!

Cheers,
SB

3Jane

I think it's a great idea - visual+voice chat encourages immediate feedback and allows people to learn the method of reading from each other. It could even be a "reader available at this time at this" link. The potential drawback is, people generally need to be in compatible timezones (US events are often hard for a person from Europe to attend, and I imagine vice versa). And yes, there is a limit on how many people can participate in a hangout with cameras (which is a shame, as it switches between cameras very nicely, better than Skype used to).

Alta

Send a suggestion to Solandia. I have no idea how this would work as my PC doesn't have a camera atm.

Grizabella

People could do it on their own. It's just like the Yahoo conference chats used to work. But I don't see it as being a real resource to provide on AT because there's no way that it could be supervised by someone associated with the forum. There are something like 300,000 members here. It would only benefit just a handful in each chat. It wouldn't work and it would probably get out of hand.

Why not just elect some friends to do it with you and just do it on your own? Same deal. But it just wouldn't be affiliated with AT, and it shouldn't be.

gregory

People could do it on their own. It's just like the Yahoo conference chats used to work. But I don't see it as being a real resource to provide on AT because there's no way that it could be supervised by someone associated with the forum. There are something like 300,000 members here. It would only benefit just a handful in each chat. It wouldn't work and it would probably get out of hand.

Why not just elect some friends to do it with you and just do it on your own? Same deal. But it just wouldn't be affiliated with AT, and it shouldn't be.
I'm (improbably !) wth Griz here. There's nothing to stop you, but I'd be sorry to see the forum specifically supporting google as such... It tracks FAR too much as it is ! And the modding side would be unmanageable with small groups like that - they'd have to be present throughout, and there simply aren't enough of them.

merissa_88

Love Google Hangouts! Am hoping to do one with my sister about sacred sites, tarot, and sustainable travel later this year.

Hope to see an announcement about this sometime. :)

gregory

Love Google Hangouts! Am hoping to do one with my sister about sacred sites, tarot, and sustainable travel later this year.

Hope to see an announcement about this sometime. :)
Set one up then ! I honestly don't see how it can work as any part of AT.

ETA BECAUSE (sorry; I hit post and then stopped paying attention...) you can't have a mod in every little group like that, and so as soon as anything goes wrong (and sooner or later it will) and someone complains to Solandia - well, how can AT be held responsible for things that are basically happening somewhere they cannot hope to monitor ? Much better to manage it on an individual basis.

starburst_au

I think it's a great idea - visual+voice chat encourages immediate feedback and allows people to learn the method of reading from each other. It could even be a "reader available at this time at this" link. The potential drawback is, people generally need to be in compatible timezones (US events are often hard for a person from Europe to attend, and I imagine vice versa). And yes, there is a limit on how many people can participate in a hangout with cameras (which is a shame, as it switches between cameras very nicely, better than Skype used to).

Yeah, just putting it out there.... seeing people thoughts....
Cheers,
SB

starburst_au

Send a suggestion to Solandia. I have no idea how this would work as my PC doesn't have a camera atm.

Ah, awesome Idea. I wasn't sure who I should ask...

Thanks,
SB

starburst_au

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions :D

I wasn't sure if if I could just go ahead and post something on the forum, saying lets all chat here... and tonight X Y Z will be doing 3 card readings for learning purposes.... or "x" is going to be talking about a specific deck at 10.30pm EST... that kind of thing. As i'm aware you're not allowed to post stuff that will direct traffic away from the forum...

You're right that I could ask a few friends and get together via skype or some video / chat thing. It doesn't have to have to be associated with AT forum. I guess being a a part of the forum people could, if they wanted to offer their knowledge...

I can totally see things getting out of hand if it wasn't managed correctly by whom ever....

Just floating ideas around :D

Cheers,
SB