I Ching Holitzka Deck

fyreflye

Anyone familiar with this deck?
http://www.wicce.com/holitzka.html
There are plenty of I Ching Oracle decks around but this one looks far superior artistically to the others I've seen.

fyreflye

Yes, the Donelli cards are quite nice, too. They don't seem to have reached the US market yet.

lionette

Both decks look lovely. I've had my eye on the Holitzka deck for a little while now, but haven't ventured to buy it.

Thursday I'll be visiting a shop which has lots of tarot decks opened for browsing and maybe they have this one too. If so, I'll report back :)

Woof

I have the Holitzka deck. It's beautiful. I like it for one card draws.
The reading recommended in the LWB didn't work for me. None of the readings made any sense.
By the way, if you plan to use the LWB buy a magnifying glass if you're over 30 yrs. old! The print is microscopic!

Rusty Neon

Although it's a question of preference, I would find keywords tastefully printed on the cards to be a useful addition.

NightWing

Ultimate Holitzka?

The Holitzka I-Ching deck is both artistically stunning in its simple oriental brushstrokes, and useful. There are several other decks on the market, at least two of which are merely utilitarian. The Lo Scarabeo deck has a certain beauty. The Gill/Clark I-Ching Pack cards are lovely, but are sadly OOP. But Holitzka raises I-Ching by cards to a whole new level, IMHO. These will be hard to surpass.

Alta

I agree with NightWing. I now use these cards mostly in I Ching readings. They are incredible.

rachelcat

How do you read with I Ching cards?

How do you read with I Ching cards? Do you just pull one card? And then do you look up the meaning of the hexagram in a book?

I seem to remember a book recommending you draw 2 cards in order to get changing lines (the ones that are different between the first and second cards). I have a feeling you would get a lot more changing lines that way than through coin tossing. Would that make a difference to you? Are you concerned about the difference in odds between yarrow stalks, coin tosses, and drawing 1 or 2 cards?

I have begun to study I Ching, but I find the bibliomancy/sortilege aspect (having to look up the reading in a book) makes it less immediate and more cumbersome than tarot reading, where the meanings are in my head! How do you feel about that?