I need great suggestions on learning Duquotte's book, PLEASE !!!

redflash

cheekyinchworm said:
SunStallion, I'm only just begining, but thanks to DuQuette's book and the BOT, I have a great map of the territory I must cover in the next . . .oh . . . SEVERAL LIFETIMES.

I second that !

I have spent years of my life keeping well away from the Thoth. Suddenly, less than 2 weeks ago, I knew I had to have it. In the space of a week I have bought 4 different versions of it, the DuQuette book & of course the Book Of Thoth. I'm obsessed ! I've never used a deck like it before & like cheekyinchworm says, it seems like there are several lifetimes worth of learning in it !

I am researching more of ACs own writings & this is definitely helping. I am the type of person who always wants to learn everything RIGHT NOW & I have no patience whatsoever. But that just ain't gonna cut it with this deck. And for once I don't want it to. I am "savouring" this deck, symbol by symbol.

So, from one Thoth newbie to another, the only advice I can give is to relax & just take it s-l-o-w.

wolfmaiden58

AbstractConcept said:
I reccomend you READ the book cover to cover,
(corwley actually makes duquette as lucid as duquette does crowley).

A bit of background on qabalah and astrology, and Thelemic principle helps, but part one of the book gives the gist of it.

Do what though wilt shall be the whole of the law.

I had the Thoth deck for years, before even being able to use it - then, recently purchased a large deck, as well as Duquette - trouble is, then I read 'The Tree Of Life' and 'Garden of Pomegranates' both by Israel Regardie, and, 6 months later, I'm an initiate in the OTO.
To me, the Thoth is no longer about 'prediction', nor is it an oracle - it's a system of understanding the Sephiroth as a pathway to Magick. If you desire to become even more confused, read AC's Liber Al Vel Legis.
Like others also, I now balk at the idea of the RWS, but, that's just me and my own particular orbit.

There are huge resources on the internet for Crowley's writings, as well as other esoteric works - one of the best has to be:
http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/index.html
http://www.rahoorkhuit.net/library/home.html

there is also the http:/vxchaos.cjb.net file server - but it appears to be momentarily down - it was running earlier today, as I used it to get a copy of AC's Tao Te Ching......

Happy Hunting!!

Love is the law, love under will.

Pax et Lux,
wolfie

darwinia

I enjoy dipping into the DuQuette book when doing daily Thoth draws.

You might find the same, assimilating the information in small tastes and application.

AbstractConcept

wolfmaiden58 said:
Do what though wilt shall be the whole of the law.

I had the Thoth deck for years, before even being able to use it - then, recently purchased a large deck, as well as Duquette - trouble is, then I read 'The Tree Of Life' and 'Garden of Pomegranates' both by Israel Regardie, and, 6 months later, I'm an initiate in the OTO.
To me, the Thoth is no longer about 'prediction', nor is it an oracle - it's a system of understanding the Sephiroth as a pathway to Magick. If you desire to become even more confused, read AC's Liber Al Vel Legis.
Like others also, I now balk at the idea of the RWS, but, that's just me and my own particular orbit.

EXACTAMUNDO!
Also, I'm attending my first Gnostic Mass on the weekend, and meeting up for sponsorship. WIsh me luck :)

ravenest

Good luck!

There is no part of you that is not of the Gods.

Mass in Sydney I take it? St. Aleister's 'cathedral' ?

wolfmaiden58

AbstractConcept said:
EXACTAMUNDO!
Also, I'm attending my first Gnostic Mass on the weekend, and meeting up for sponsorship. WIsh me luck :)

Awesome!! The local OTO here should be starting Gnostic mass here in Toronto soon - really looking forward to it!! Peeved I missed the recent Equinox celebration as I was out of town though!
It must be great to get together with other celebrants!!

AbstractConcept

Yep in Sydney. I'm assuming its Aliester's Cathedral. I've not actually sussed the location out yet, but it's in Newtown. My gf & I are quite excited.

I just hope it doesn't suck :p

Alta

Moderator note: sorry, but if you want to discuss meetings, please go to meetings and conferences. Otherwise personal discussions should be via PM.

Please keep the threads for discussions around the deck and background theory.

Regards,
Marion
Moderator, Thoth

ravenest

Ooooops! (To put it in context; )

When you attend the Mass keep the symbolism and the image of the Lovers card in mind. Duquette and AC will give interesting takes on it but observing a Gnostic mass will be enlightening for those with insight in reagrds to this card.