Influences in tarot? Studying cards' meanings

AkiraOkihu

Hello! I am new to tarot, still writing my tarot journal with the meaning of cards. I have finished the wands suit (1-10) and looked at the cups suit. Then at the sword suit and then at the pentacle suit, because I found something interesting. I saw that aces in general represent a new beginning, a great load of positive energy, and then they are individualized depending on the element (fire for creativity, water for relationships etc.). From what I see, if I would study numerology and the elements, it would be so much easier to learn the meaning of cards. Am I right? What other influences does tarot have? Also, what are some good sites for studying those influences? Thanks!

Grizabella

This is the best site for any questions you have about Tarot and other divination methods. Nowhere on the net will give you anything better. :p

For me, keeping it as simple as possible has worked the best. Adding in elements and astrology was just overload for me and became mind boggling. The best way for me to learn the cards is to just stick with it. I'm still a newcomer---I've only read for about 15 or 16 years :p ----and now I'm working a little bit with learning the Tree of Life, but I still keep it mostly to strictly Tarot. I have Lenormand cards and Tea Leaf Oracle I sometimes use in addition to Tarot, but that's about as far as I've gone.

Tarot is a journey, and like all journeys, it's not the destination that's important, it's the journey itself. It's a life-long pursuit to learn what works for you and what doesn't. And sometimes what's working at a particular time quits working and moving on to another method will work best for awhile.

Michael Sternbach

By studying numerology and the elements, you are definitely on the right track. What other symbolism is involved in the pimps and other cards depends on the deck. Which one are you using?

AkiraOkihu

I am using the Gilded Tarot, waiting for my Gilded Tarot Royale to arrive.

Nemia

Astrology, alchemy, kabbalah, numerology, elemental dignities, the "theme" of each deck (paganism, Grail lore, gnosticism..) - there is no end to the material you can learn to find new depth in your readings. I tend to do these things in waltz steps - 1,2,3... and 1,2,3...

Step 1 is just enjoying the images and finding inspiration by them, by colors, shapes, obvious symbols, position of viewer. Each card tells a story.

Step 2 is remembering all the theoretical knowledge I know about the card. Esoteric symbols, astrological and elemental associations, position on the Tree of life, number symbolism, color symbolism - whatever is helpful and seems relevant. Especially important: the personal meanings cards have accumulated for me over the years.

Step 3 is putting everything together: spontaneous reaction, personal context and theoretical knowledge.

And then I forget everything again and start again with simply looking at the picture. And I'm with Step 1 again....

Everybody finds his own style. There is no pressure - it takes time to absorb the knowledge, and some of it escapes again and again, like water between the fingers. I have to conquer it again and again.

Other things come by sudden insight - all of a sudden I feel that I understand numbers now much better. How did that happen?

Don't feel you have to learn a system if you don't want to. You can be a perfectly good reader using your intuition and the messages from the images themselves. It's like learning a new language - some people enjoy knowing the grammar rules and applying them, others do it instinctively and find too much grammar confusing.

Find your style and enjoy the journey. It's wonderful to spend so many years with tarot cards and always feel a beginner! Like a marriage that's still exciting after decades together!

Michael Sternbach

Hi Nemia,

My own approach is actually quite similar to yours. Nice how you have put it.

Yes, there are the so called intuitive readers (like my mum). Others take a more intellectual approach (like me). Not that we are not intuitive, too (every good reader needs to be), but we are also interested in the esoteric knowledge contained in a deck. I think the OP is also one who likes to feed his brain with facts.

I haven't looked into the Gilded Tarot yet, but I will do so now, hoping that I may be able to make some suggestions as to what is particularly relevant.

Marcus R

I'm only newish, but have found the elements and some consideration of the numbers can give good insights. I don't always use them intentionally, but sometimes the elemental relationships or particular numbers come up and I take notice.

Knowing the cards themselves for what they are, is the prime line of study. Learning the elements, numerology and even astrology now may be a bit of overload for you but saves having to do it later. Elements and a small understanding of numerology is as far as I have gone so far.
Use your enthusiasm to absorb as much as you can/wish to now.

I don't feel all of this extra study is essential at all but has given me a broader canvas to read with. I need all the help I can get.

Michael Sternbach

I was not able to find out much about the Gilded Tarot so quickly, but it does have a study group devoted to it on this forum. I understand that the deck includes astrological attributions, therefore this should be a worthwhile area of study. Corinne Kenner: Tarot and Astrology could be useful. The Gilded Tarot is also related with the Rider-Waite deck, so if I was in your place, I would get a copy of the latter along with some books pertaining to it.