Reading AS the mentally ill

re-pete-a

It's just a fledgling of an idea that has popped into this cranium...

When reading for oneself the cards can show up personal beliefs and problems...agreed.

IE: what does this card mean for you ...?

When reading for another there seems to be a difference...Not necessarily a reflection of the readers mind...

It can also be a reflection of the inquisitors mind...

Lillie

How do you cope with stigma?

People don't know if I don't tell them.
But if someone does get stigmatic at me, I give them my best lunatic grin and talk about death.

How do you deal with side effects of medication that can harm your intuition and creativity?

Take more better meds?
Many things can stop me making sense of the cards. If I have to read but can't, I just BS my way through, or admit the readings a dud. (embarrassing).

If you are prone to delusions, how do you deal with that in regards to tarot?

The Illuminati tell me to read tarot. (I know that sounds like a joke, but it's actually true.)
I'm reading tarot cards. It makes no logical sense anyway, it's all delusion and illusion. It's an impossible thing.

Does anxiety make you constantly doubt yourself and your readings?

Duh! Yeah, I just try to read anyway.

Are bad tarot readings at times a 'trigger' for your mood swings if you have them?

A bad reading for others? Yeah, its a bit depressing when you get it wrong, but you got to roll with the punches.
A bad reading for me? No, I take no notice. It's only a pack of cards.

How do you stay calm?

More better meds.

ravenest

Good idea--I like the games section, but find it too dreary to read too many questions about 'tell me about XYZ's relationship' or 'how ZYX will like my new hat' and third-party things that don't feel like something I want to participate in. I try to take part in the ones that feel like I can be helpful. I think 'positive' is a good thing!

OMG you really amped THAT up a level for me ! Puerile relationship questions - bad enough .... but to combine that with liking a new ... hat ... :mad:

ravenest

I have noticed two types of mental health issues going on here.

All IMO of course but ;

1. Some people I really like (just their personality and mode and content of expression that comes across here) that state that they have / had mental health issues, have treatment or not, sometimes I am surprised when they write that they have a mental health issue. Often what they write about tarot and other subjects is great ! :) ( even if it might be a bit 'far out' .... but so am I ) and I would be happy to get a reading off them.

2. Some seem nutters, and talk rubbish and cant really sting their ideas together sensibly, some of them have said they have mental health issues ... or infer or hint at it but the majority of them dont seem aware of that or dont talk about that. They seem, often, to give really bad advice or cant listen properly to others or right a jumble of nonsense that think makes sense. I would never get a reading off them.

Lillie

Who's in which group, then?

I don't think you should play on our natural paranoia like that.
It's cruel.

gregory

It's cruel.
I'm with Lillie here. We nutters need to KNOW these things or we get sicker then ever.

But I feel NO stigma AT ALL - that's why I am open about it - the more of us are, the sooner the stigma will end. See under epilepsy.... You used to be locked up for that.

Cocobird55

I agree.

I do think there is some stigma out there -- I don't tell everyone that I have PSTD, just close friends and people who I think will understand it.

There are some days when I can't do readings -- too anxious to even try. But when I can, they are very good for me -- they give me something to focus on.

ravenest

It's cruel.

That wasnt the intent.

You are 'safe' Froggy :)

I suppose I mean; some people , even though they have said they have mental health issues, I would not have a problem getting a reading off.

Some people that dont say stuff like that ... I wouldnt get a reading off. - Not all 'mental health issues' mean you wont make a good tarot reader or a sensible person that gives good advice .

nisaba

I'm the only sane one here ...

Reverie

These are interesting questions.

Overall, I think the "mentally ill" should be able to do anything any person who does not suffer from mental illness is able to do. That's the point, anything less would be discrimination. Actually, I think if someone is actively psychotic, that can hurt their intuition more than if not. They might say things out of pure excitement than truth. As for hallucinations, I'm a bit skeptical to say that people who have them are not psychotic or on substances... at least on my side of the world.